iPhone 6S (+other iOS devices) not waking up *confirmed*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wakinghour, Sep 29, 2015.

?

Have you encountered this issue yet?

1. Yes

695 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. No

533 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. th3r3ds0x macrumors regular

th3r3ds0x

I'd be curious to know which chip is in the phones of those that have had this issue.

2. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I haven't had it happen again, although I do wonder if it did also happen early yesterday morning. So I've been running my 6s 128GB SG down on purpose before bed for the first few days to calibrate the battery. So my phone powers down and I plug the cord back in. The next morning the phone was off and either never turned back on or had a problem. So I missed my alarm and was a little late to work. I thought if the power cord is plugged in the phone turns back on? Does anyone know if the phone runs out of battery and you plug in the cord before it shuts down all the way, will it start back up? I wonder if it only starts back up if you plug in the cord after it's done shutting down. Maybe I was too fast because I was ready to go? I had the cord in hand and was waiting for the thing to die on me as I had been running 4K video on full screen brightness with the torch enabled.

3. wakinghour thread starter macrumors regular

If the distribution is even between people who didn't get the error and people who did after a large sample size, it may be worth checking.

4. wakinghour thread starter macrumors regular

I believe it does turn back on eventually when it has enough charge.

5. mar12 macrumors member

It is supposed to turn on when plugged in no matter what I believe

6. mar12 macrumors member

There's no way this is normal...the phone is turning off by itself while on standby and the user has no way of knowing

7. th3r3ds0x macrumors regular

th3r3ds0x

I got my phone monday. I set it up from my backup from my 6 Plus. I charged it to 100% and then proceeded to use it without charging it again until it died. I should power back up once you plug it in. Just like the older models the low battery indicator came on the screen when I plugged it in. Once it charges to 10% I believe it powers up. I charged it back up to 100%. I think they recommend you let it discharge once per month or so but otherwise you shouldn't let it drop to 0% on a regular basis.

8. tivoboy macrumors 68040

I've had this issue a couple of times.. usually when power is getting low, but not crazy low. It just won't come back on at all. Plugging it in, still won't go on, doing the home and power button trick, still nothing. After about 20 minutes, it will come back to life and then says that battery is at 30% or more..makes me wonder WHY is it shutting off in the first place.

currently running 9.1b2

9. mar12 macrumors member

9.0.2 is out now. Maybe this will fix it? Although there was no mention in the release notes

10. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

I was specifically looking for it in the release notes too! Although, it does say general 'bug fixes and improvements' indicating the list below is not exhaustive. Since I posted in this thread I haven't experienced the issue again, and hopefully now with 9.0.2 it won't happen at all!

11. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

It happened to me a couple of days ago. I was trying to access the quick access bar (with the wifi and all) and it wouldn't show up. Tried swiping the pages of the home screen and it was unresponsive. Then screen went black and wouldn't turn on so had to do a power button/home button reboot. That was on IOS 9.0.1. Hopefully it won't happen again now that 9.0.2 is out.

12. Sarah Jones 799 Suspended

Sarah Jones 799

No problems here iPhone 6s 128gb space grey phone been on since Friday Running iOS 9.0.1

13. shelb724 macrumors member

I have a 128 GB 6S and my phone turned off this morning while i was in the car driving and talking to my husband through the sync system in my car. I am taking it to the Apple store on Saturday for a Genius appointment because of another issue with my music. I do see that there is an update so i will be doing that when i get home, maybe that has something to do with this problem.

14. hutrebug macrumors regular

iOS 9.1 probably released mid-late October.

Then again, if it's a serious hardware problem, it might be a firmware problem, nothing to do with the operating system.

15. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

This has happened to me twice, once while running iOS 9.1b2 and once on 9.1b3. I have a 6s 128Gb. Both times it has powered off whilst just sat on the desk idle.

16. drewboy891 macrumors newbie

Happens to me every night now while phone is charging. Also happens if the phone is left idle for too long. I have the 6S Plus 64GB with beta installed. It's also happening to a friend of mine, he has 6S 64GB with no beta installed.

17. tivoboy macrumors 68040

Just happened to me again last night. I had done the same process as before, putting the phone into airplane mode at night turning the wifi back on, wake up and the phone was dead.. The two button reboot did the trick this time though, so that's good. But, I DID notice that the touchid button/home button was very warm, even though the phone had apparently not really been on. When I went to bed the phone had 68% power and once I got it working again (after nine hour overnight) it was down to 63%, which leads me to think that something isn't running furiously to take the phone down. I think there is probably some sort of overheating going on internally and the phone is going into a safety mode.?

18. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Exact same issue with my iphone 6s Plus, with public beta 9.1 beta 2, happened twice since 9/25/15. Didn't happen at all with my iPhone 6 Plus. Just installed beta 3, and will see if it happens again.

19. wakinghour thread starter macrumors regular

Two others posted hot home button issues. Which iOS version are you running?

20. tivoboy, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

tivoboy macrumors 68040

I'm running 91.b2, just upgraded this morning to b3.

I'm wondering though: Question.. are others putting the phone FACE DOWN? When I go to bed, I put the phone into airplane mode and turn on the wifi. Then, I put the phone face down. I'm wondering if with the new 'face down' sensor, could something be going on in the phone that the sensor is confusing? Or is the sensor in the touchid button?

Since this feature is using the motion detector M9 in this case, could it be that this sensor is being activated and is staying ON in this orientation and either increasing temp to the point that the phone overheats or gets overwhelmed and won't allow the screen to come on? the phone is essentially on but the screen isn't lighting up?

21. john991 macrumors 68020

If the home button is that hot, i
    I left mine facing up in wifi mode with no airplane mode and mine did one morning only. Since then I haven't had an issue. I'm running 9.02

22. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Anyone looked and see what the crash log is saying when it crashes? That could be helpful if all saying the same thing.

23. crazee928 macrumors member

this happened to me twice yesterday, once when i was using the phone, and once when it was sitting idle as i was sleeping. almost missed my alarm this morning had my gf not woken me up. thought the battery drained, but when i forced restarted it i had 20% battery left (and the alarm sounded right when it booted up, 5-10 minutes after the actual time it was set for).

running 6s 64gb 9.0.2. i don't think i saw this problem until after updating to 9.0.2... i'll have to find an alternative alarm until this is sorted out, so frustrating.

24. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

25. xxMACxx macrumors regular

Same has happened twice to me(both after overnight charging), and once to my wife. Same phones/iOS mentioned