iPhone 6S (+other iOS devices) not waking up *confirmed*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wakinghour, Sep 29, 2015.

?

Have you encountered this issue yet?

1. Yes

695 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. No

533 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. terraphantm macrumors 68040

2. mlsusa macrumors regular

Happened to me 2 nights ago. I was out picking up dinner when I noticed my Apple Watch showed it was disconnected which didn't make sense since the phone was in my pocket. I took the phone out to take a look and it wouldn't respond when I pressed the lock or home buttons. I needed to do a hard reset to get it back running. I had sent a text no more than 5 minutes before it seized up or whatever it did. I have the 128 6s+ silver AT&T model. It was on 9.0.1 at the time but I'm on 9.0.2 now.

3. Dephanix macrumors member

My 64GB 6s had this happen about 4 times since release day. Today it happened and I left it, didn't force reset and went straight to the Apple Store. They gave me a sealed new phone because they didn't know what was causing it.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier. Wouldn't have bothered swapping because no doubt this one will have the problem also.

4. markbrads macrumors member

markbrads

Happened to me.... iPhone 6s 128GB iOS 9.0.1 now on 9.0.2 Noticed my Watch had disconnected. Had to reset using home and power button. My son also reported his iPhone 6 32GB doing the same thing last week. I doubt its a 6s thing, most likely a iOS 9.? thing. Apple will fix it and no doubt will already know about the issues via device bug reporting.

:confused:

5. whitete macrumors member

whitete

Happened to me 2 days ago. I have a 6s, 64GB and was running 9.0.1 at the time. The phone was laying face up while I was sleeping.

6. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

This happened to me too! I pulled it out of my pocket in work the other day and it was dead! Had to press the home button and power button to get it to restart. Its been fine since! Mines a 64GB space grey 6S.

7. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

My wife just brought me her broken iPhone 5. It had this same issue. She's on 9.0 or 9.0.1 (just said she didn't upgrade yesterday). So I told her to upgrade. We'll see what happens. I haven't had any issues yet on this version. At least it doesn't seem to be a problem with the 6s.

8. wakinghour, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

wakinghour thread starter macrumors regular

^macduke, thanks. That is very interesting. Adding that one to the list.

The A9 chip theory
    Not to get suspicious yet but the poll so far has 100 samples and has almost an exact 40:60 ratio of people who experienced this issue to people who haven't. Guess what else has a 40:60 ratio? Samsung to TSMC A9 chips. See for yourself.

This theory is flawed because A) not everyone who took the poll has a 6S B) unlikely Apple didn't test the chips to such a poor failure rate C) 6's and and some 5's have the issue, although we lack data still.

Anyways, we just need more information. I am updating a public file soon to aggregate everyone's data.

9. richard371 macrumors 68020

Wouldn't that be funny if it were the Samsung chips but I seriously think its a software issue since we have a 6 and 5 in the mix.

10. fffizzz macrumors newbie

fffizzz

Pretty sure it's software related. My wife has a 6 Plus and it's happened to her a couple times since upgrading to 9. I know she's not on 9.0.2, but not sure about 9.0.1. I have a 6S Plus on 9.0.2 and havent seen this yet.

11. Che Castro macrumors 603

this happened to me some months ago on iPhone 6 64gb ios8 one time i thought my phone was dead,

this also happened on Tuesday with the new iPhone 6s plus 128gb on 9.0.1, i picked up the phone and it was dead, holding the power and home button woke up the phone

12. fxdxt, Oct 1, 2015

fxdxt macrumors newbie

fxdxt

iPhone 6S plus, 128GB. Happened 1 time under 9.0.0 Currently running 9.0.2. 5. I restarted the device holding the home and power button for 10 seconds? It has not happened again.

13. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Effing Samsung chips! I knew it! They're sabotaging iPhones to create a new "gate" and then everybody flocks to the s6.

14. MadManDan macrumors member

MadManDan

Happened to my iPhone last night. I was browsing the home screen when it rebooted itself.

iPhone 6S 64GB. iOS 9.0.2.

15. texans93 macrumors member

I've got a 64gb 6S and since launch day it has shut down twice. I live 5 hours away from an Apple Store but I will be near one this weekend. I've set up an appointment to get it looked at. Do you think they will have stock to exchange/replace? Also, I've considered swapping to the 6S Plus, would this be a option since I'm within the 14 day window? Is there any way to check available stock at the store I'll be visiting beforehand? I'm also concerned the replacement device my have a factory defect, this one is flawless. Is it worth exchanging? Thoughts/ideas?

16. wakinghour thread starter macrumors regular

What OS are you running? Whatever the problem is, it's very likely to be a software issue. I would wait on it a bit. I am sending this to Apple's engineering team.

17. texans93 macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, running the latest Beta 3.

18. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Thank god I thought I was the only one. Happens on my iPhone 6S Plus 128GB 9.1 Beta 3. Only way to get it back on is to do a hard reset. It happens almost daily without me even using the phone. Yesterday I was waiting for a phone call and when I began to think it was taking too long went to look at my phone and it was unresponsive. Im o

19. TitanicManDC macrumors member

TitanicManDC

A few days ago this happened on my 5s, SG 32GB. I couldn't figure out what was going on so I plugged it in and it made the charging noise, so I knew it was still on. Eventually, I came to my senses and did a hard reboot like many others here. It started up normally then... Really weird. With it being on multiple devices, I don't think it is a hardware issue.

20. jermy4, Oct 1, 2015

jermy4 macrumors demi-god

This happened yesterday to my wife's 6s 128GB ATT model on 9.0.1. Her alarm didn't go off and her phone was not responsive (it was sitting on charge on her night stand). She said the home button was really hot and it powered back on and was fully charged after she hard reset it (held both lock and home buttons together). She updated to 9.0.2 yesterday evening and it hasn't happened since.

21. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Don't swap at Genius bar. This is a software issue. It is happening to a wide range of phones since iOS 9. If you do want the 6 Plus and are in your 14 day window, that you can do, but have the original box and all accessories with you.

22. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I had this experience the night after I got the phone, and have not had any issues since. I have a iPhone 6s running iOS 9.1 PB3 (PB2 when it occurred) the only fix was to hold down both buttons while it was plugged into my computer

23. DwadeC macrumors newbie

Happened to me on Tuesday. 6s 64gb 9.0.1. Found the phone had turned itself off and the home button was very hot. Phoned Apple Support who ran remote diagnostics and found no errors. Had to do the hard reboot and hold for a long time. So far has not happened again.

24. wakinghour thread starter macrumors regular

The data is is now up on the original post and I shared it with Apple's engineering department. If your incident is not there I haven't updated it yet. Thanks for all the feedback so far guys.

25. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos