Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone6plus_finish_large-250x267.jpg
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a note to investors that claims the iPhone 6s Plus is facing supply shortages amid pre-orders due to backlight module production issues at Japanese supplier Minebea.

Kuo says that Apple is looking to resolve the problem by transferring backlight module orders to alternative supplier Radiant. The supplier will see its orders increase by 70-80% to 4-5 million units in September.
We believe Minebea's (JP) backlight module production issues in supplying iPhone 6S Plus (6S Plus) is one of the main factors in the model's supply shortage. To tackle this issue, we believe Apple (US) has been increasingly transferring high-ASP 6S Plus backlight module orders to Radiant (6176 TT, NT$106.5, OP), boosting its sales momentum.
While shipping estimates for the iPhone 6s Plus have slipped to 3-4 weeks or later for most models, Kuo believes the primary reason is because of supply chain problems rather than strong demand. The analyst expects Apple to prepare 1.5 to 2 million iPhone 6s Plus units for sale on September 25 launch day.

The switch from Minebea to Radiant should help improve iPhone 6s Plus supply through September.
To accelerate availability, we believe Apple has been transferring substantial 6S Plus backlight module orders to Radiant. As such, we estimate the company's iPhone 6S Plus backlight module orders to increase by 70-80% to 4-5mn units in September, boosting its order allocation from 35-45% to 70-80%.
Apple informed the media this morning that iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus pre-orders are "on pace to beat" last year's record-breaking 10 million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus units sold on launch weekend in September 2014.

Article Link: iPhone 6s Plus in Short Supply Due to Backlight Module Production Issues

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I think their manufacturing capacity is better this year. I just checked and I can have pretty much any model I want except rose gold on the Friday release date. I can even reserve to pick it up in the store so I don't have to wait in line at all.

Last year pretty much every model except the Sprint ones got pushed back a couple weeks by morning, and there were huge lineups because Apple didn't allow reservations.

Expect a much smoother launch this time around. I still haven't decided whether to jump from the 6 to the 6S; I kinda want to get on the S generation but the money.. the money! Why must everything be limited by this money thing.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
All I have to say is Ming-Chi Kuo is one incredibly smart dude. I'm pretty sure he has the best track record in the world with identifying or forecasting things related to Apple. Sure, he may not be right 100% of the time, but he sure is close...

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I've got my 6s Plus on order already. Looking forward to the enhancements with the better camera, live photos and 3D touch screen. Nothing truly ground breaking but still some nice enhancements.

Reactions: AleXXXa

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
This is good news if anything. It means that I should be able to find a 6S plus in stores with ease before my trip at the end of October! :) I currently have the 6S in Silver pre ordered and am considering the Plus.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
What I don't understand is, every year, there's a rumor/news that mass production has started a month or so before the product is even announced. So, if that's the case, how could they not have enough to fulfill most of the preorders?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Looks pretty accurate. I just checked now and all models and colors of the 6S plus are now sold out for in store pickup at both my local Apple Stores.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
So basically those of us who managed to secure a 6s Plus will be sending it straight back as the backlight will be stuffed...

In other news, can we all chip in and put a hit out on Ming-Chi Kuo so that future product releases are full of anticipation like they used to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.