iPhone 6s Plus in Short Supply Due to Backlight Module Production Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a note to investors that claims the iPhone 6s Plus is facing supply shortages amid pre-orders due to backlight module production issues at Japanese supplier Minebea.

Kuo says that Apple is looking to resolve the problem by transferring backlight module orders to alternative supplier Radiant. The supplier will see its orders increase by 70-80% to 4-5 million units in September.
    While shipping estimates for the iPhone 6s Plus have slipped to 3-4 weeks or later for most models, Kuo believes the primary reason is because of supply chain problems rather than strong demand. The analyst expects Apple to prepare 1.5 to 2 million iPhone 6s Plus units for sale on September 25 launch day.

The switch from Minebea to Radiant should help improve iPhone 6s Plus supply through September.
    Apple informed the media this morning that iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus pre-orders are "on pace to beat" last year's record-breaking 10 million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus units sold on launch weekend in September 2014.

Article Link: iPhone 6s Plus in Short Supply Due to Backlight Module Production Issues

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Every year there's an excuse. It's not like it's their first rodeo.

3. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

Sure... I believe this. It has nothing to do with artificially creating scarcity and making consumers preorder like crazy to secure their phone... This doesn't sound familiar at all.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I think their manufacturing capacity is better this year. I just checked and I can have pretty much any model I want except rose gold on the Friday release date. I can even reserve to pick it up in the store so I don't have to wait in line at all.

Last year pretty much every model except the Sprint ones got pushed back a couple weeks by morning, and there were huge lineups because Apple didn't allow reservations.

Expect a much smoother launch this time around. I still haven't decided whether to jump from the 6 to the 6S; I kinda want to get on the S generation but the money.. the money! Why must everything be limited by this money thing.

5. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

if true it is a little surprising considering S year.

6. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

7. duaneu macrumors 6502a

In the previous story, Apple says they underestimated demand for the plus. Now this one says its a component supply issue.

8. Saucesome2000 macrumors 6502

Saucesome2000

Where does this guy get his info? Does he have one very reliable connection at Apple who is leaking him the info, or does he have a network of people he pays to keep him informed? It seems that every info post on this blog is now a KGI story. They might need to change it to KGIRumors.com.

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

All I have to say is Ming-Chi Kuo is one incredibly smart dude. I'm pretty sure he has the best track record in the world with identifying or forecasting things related to Apple. Sure, he may not be right 100% of the time, but he sure is close...

10. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Hmm - not good I was planning to pre order the iPhone 6 Plus today at an AT&T store.

11. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I've got my 6s Plus on order already. Looking forward to the enhancements with the better camera, live photos and 3D touch screen. Nothing truly ground breaking but still some nice enhancements.

12. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Great, now I have a feeling I might have to return my 6s Plus...

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

14. liven2 macrumors regular

Apple finally has some good news to help move the stock up and then this comes out to help it crash again. Market manipulation is truly incredible...

15. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Because sourcing cutting edge components from dozens of companies in quantities of millions is very very difficult. Theres no excuse, just people not understanding how hard it is to keep a supply chain of this scale and complexity going.

16. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

As always, there're gonna be just 10 Rose Gold iPhone 6 Plus's per store on launch day.

So, get in line now!

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

18. entraik Suspended

This is good news if anything. It means that I should be able to find a 6S plus in stores with ease before my trip at the end of October! :) I currently have the 6S in Silver pre ordered and am considering the Plus.

19. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

$2 (may be even less) component causing supply issues for a $1200 phone!!!

20. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

What I don't understand is, every year, there's a rumor/news that mass production has started a month or so before the product is even announced. So, if that's the case, how could they not have enough to fulfill most of the preorders?

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

Looks pretty accurate. I just checked now and all models and colors of the 6S plus are now sold out for in store pickup at both my local Apple Stores.

22. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

So basically those of us who managed to secure a 6s Plus will be sending it straight back as the backlight will be stuffed...

In other news, can we all chip in and put a hit out on Ming-Chi Kuo so that future product releases are full of anticipation like they used to be.

23. Yellowbean12 macrumors regular

Yellowbean12

I would've said it's in short supply because of all those pesky pre-orders.

24. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

G: Let there be light!

SJ: I said "BACKLIGHT!"