'iPhone 6s' to Feature Apple Watch-Like Motion Wallpapers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 27, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new feature of the upcoming "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" will be a collection of improved animated wallpapers for the smartphones' lock screen, according to a few sources speaking with 9to5Mac. The designs of the wallpapers will be similar to the "Motion" watch faces seen on the Apple Watch, with the suggested hint that each animation will dynamically change and animate every time the user wakes their phone to interact with it.

[​IMG]

The new themes will range from fish in a koi pond to different color smoke clouds, the latter of which are suggested as becoming animated versions of the static backgrounds that got added in an iOS 9 beta update earlier in the month. The same sources do warn the feature could have been dropped at the last second, but a questionable leaked photo of a purported iPhone 6s Plus box -- which does in fact showcase a koi pond-like fish image -- could point to the feature's inclusion in the new line of iPhones.

Apple introduced dynamic wallpapers in iOS 7, but the options were limited, with one theme stretching over seven different color choices. Today's report suggests the company could be going into as deep and obsessive detail of capturing unique and interesting lock screen images as it did for the Apple Watch. Including a few in-depth photos and videos shared with us, news and rumors surrounding the next-generation of iPhone have begun pointing towards a September 9 media reveal for the devices, with a launch a week-and-a-half later on September 18.

Article Link: 'iPhone 6s' to Feature Apple Watch-Like Motion Wallpapers

2. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

3. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

4. ianKent macrumors member

Just like Ive said, without OLED, motion wallpapers won't look alive... Let's hope for OLED screens.

5. Andres Cantu, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I guess this means they dropped the :apple: and added the 6s in the retail box after all.

Also, would this mean that there's a chance for an OLED display, since Jony Ive has previously said that the "magic" from these Apple Watch animated wallpapers were only possible with that technology? If it does, I hope they go 1080p.

6. RDeckard macrumors regular

RDeckard

OK, now I'm just waiting for the typical MR whiners to come on here and complain about... wallpapers.

7. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I hope it's not only an iPhone 6s feature.

8. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

So excited for this. Love these watch faces, can't wait to see them on the phone. Guess this means OLED? Hope the jellyfish wallpaper is available.

9. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

10. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Called it in the "new iPhone box" thread! Hah!

11. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I had animated background on my Amiga in 1987 or so. It was interesting for about two minutes.

12. vintimus macrumors regular

vintimus

Hopefully that will mean an OLED display. Interesting feature if true.

13. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

14. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Is it me or does Apple seem to be going all out on this S version of the iPhone? So far we have (as rumours until Apple announce)

2GB Ram
    Force Touch
    12MP camera
    And now the possibility of an OLED screen

womder if Apple will be updating other products as much at their September event. It will be interesting to see what happens.

15. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

16. mbh1976 macrumors regular

17. RDeckard macrumors regular

RDeckard

Hopefully you won't be staring at your lock screen for 2 minutes. (I view my lock screen about 0.5 seconds each time I turn on the phone, on average).

;)

18. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I'm still trying to figure out why I need the ability to slightly shift my icons on the home screen for a 3D effect.

Wallpapers tend to be something personal, and it's the first thing I change when I get a new iOS device. The ability to have dynamic wallpapers has long term implications for future uses, but generally, no this is not a feature.

Jony Ive called the iDevices screens "old fashioned" after the Watch was introduced. It's hard to imagine a senior Apple executive doing that unless there was about to be a major overhaul.

19. BD1 macrumors 6502

If OLED, what can some explain advantages? Thx.

20. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

The white background wallpapers don't really give any credence to having OLED screens. Also, the current 6 black is dark enough to almost match the bezel, like the pink flower wallpaper that they use in the marketing. I'm not counting on OLED.

21. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

It will be interesting. As the smartphone sector matures and Apple also entered that market with large screen phones, the market has become much more homogeneous. It will mean that customers might move much more easily between manufacturers than before, as features and prices become more equal. With real new and disruptive features taking longer and longer to be introduced, everyone will need to step up their game in terms of specs, as that will be the ground where the battle will be fought from now on.

22. odedia macrumors 65816

My number one feature request at the moment for iOS is a randomly changing wallpaper based on a particular album, for example change the wallpaper every day at midnight. I keep having to manually switch the pictures of my kids every week :).

23. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

How many kids do you have? :)

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I don't think that is far off. As with everything iOS, it's about battery. Android has been doing these types of motion wallpapers for a while at the expense of battery life.

25. KALLT macrumors 601

It’ll even out with iOS 9.