'iPhone 6s' to Feature Apple Watch-Like Motion Wallpapers

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
www.karenandjay.com
This whole thing sounds a little fishy....

Sorry ... I had to.

I'm not sure about the OLED screens. This doesn't mean that the screen will always be on, just that when you activate the phone the background can have an animated image. It sounds like it'll be just a short looping video. That won't require much power, seeing as how much video watching you can do on an iPhone.

KALLT

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2008
If OLED, what can some explain advantages? Thx.
Black is much darker on a OLED screen, as it controls every pixel individually. On LED-backlit LCD screens, even the black pixels look very very dark grey in comparison because of the backlight. The downside to OLED is that they can look less sharp than LCD if Apple sticks with the same resolution.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2007
If OLED, what can some explain advantages? Thx.

I have an S6 Edge. Only disadvantage is direct sunlight. It is VERY washed out if you have a lot of sunlight hitting the screen. Other than that, it is absolutely amazing.

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Funny that they made such a huge play against the skeuomorphic look of the old iOS, and now we have such useless frills as 'translucent' headers on Safari windows, Parallax effects on wallpaper and desktops, and now animated lock screens.

I say WTF?

I don't want to be 'entertained' that way. They went from 'flat is the new black' to glitzy and useless kitsch that adds nothing to the effect of using the devices, yet smoke up processing time I'm sure.

Plus with all of the other issues with the iOS 'experience' *cough*, perhaps they should be spending MORE time on fixing those, rather than on adding frill and fluff to what is becoming a bloated mess...

Animated lock screens and wallpaper are not 'flat' to me...

Their first forced 'experience' was Parallax, and then they grudgingly offered a way to turn it off, and yet there was still some effect. GIVE IT UP GUYS! You love kitsch, we get it. Make it stop...

Reactions: navaira

fonzy91

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
I'm a bit confused, am I the only one who can see animated (dynamic) wallpapers on my iPhone settings? How is this a new feature? They're just expanding the library of animated wallpapers, and why would it be only for iPhone 6S, it surely would work on the 6 too, am I wrong? beside maybe the darkness of the black of the possible new OLED display.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Isn't it a fact that the there is a power relationship between the black nature of Watch OS and the OLED screen. I thought an OLED screen in concert with the whiteness of the current iOS would lead to major power issues??

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I had animated background on my Amiga in 1987 or so. It was interesting for about two minutes.
Oh we had so much fun with animated desktop and sleep screens. The fishbowl was a riot of you turned off everything but one jellyfish. IT ran at the system clock speed so when there was no load it ran at gonzo speeds. And then there was a group called Underware, that had all sorts of animated screens. Cavemen hunting dinosaurs and such. IT was a lot of fun back in the day.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
My understanding simply is with LED / LCD displays, theres still light coming from "black" pixels hence black on the screen isn't quite black, because of the one main backlight behind the pixels. OLED displays however black is actually black, the pixels have their own individual backlight that turns off while the rest displaying colour remain on. This for example would save power when the display is displaying something with a black background as the whole screen won't actually be lit, while also having better colour accuracy and contrast.

Right now OLED is still more expensive than LED, and limited in display sizes even though the technology offers a wider range of sizes. It'll just be a matter of time before OLED will be the new LED and there most likely be a new technology gearing up to step up to consumer use as OLED is starting to now
I think so ... the 2 extremes are when showing black. With LCD the natural state is white (backlight) and it has to try and block out as much light from the backlight as possible to get black. This is why you get light bleed. With OLED, the natural state is black and each pixel is lit.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Is it me or does Apple seem to be going all out on this S version of the iPhone? So far we have (as rumours until Apple announce)

2GB Ram
Force Touch
12MP camera
And now the possibility of an OLED screen

womder if Apple will be updating other products as much at their September event. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Don't forget A9 chip with rumoured 20-30% increase in speed.

Reactions: Jetcat3

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
As someone very familiar with the Android world, here's why you (probably) don't want to see Apple move over to an OLED panel:

As most of you know, Samsung is the leader in OLED panels right now, with their Super AMOLED panels in the S6/Note 5 lines. All other OEMs that use OLED source them from Samsung (aside from LG, which uses their own P-OLED panels when they don't opt for LCD, which is only on their G-Flex line of smartphones).

The problem is, Samsung does not source other OEMs with the same S-AMOLED panels, but rather with B-stock panels manufactured from the year or two prior. So no other OEM that has an OLED display matches what Samsung uses for themselves. This leads to a market where Samsung's panels in their own devices are the best available mobile displays that are possible at any given point, but other OEMs OLED offerings do not match, hence why most other Android OEMs are opting for LCD panels, since current LCD panels would outperform an older OLED panel.

So, I would suspect that, IF Apple was going over to an OLED display, nobody should expect it to be as good as what is in the S6/Note 5.

I'm an Android fan, but I am moving over to the 6S Plus this cycle for other reasons. And I really hope that Apple sticks with their LCD panels, as they are the best LCD panels in the market, and I know what kind of sacrifices they would make if they switched over to OLED (a panel comparable to what is in the Galaxy S5, rather than the amazing ones Samsung is using now).

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
England, UK
"Mr Cook, Mr Cook!"
"What is it, Jony?"
"We've just been looking through the list of things we can improve on with iOS9 and we realised someone had lent a broom against the white board we had all the ideas listed on, it was covering up the words "Dynamic Wallpapers".
"Gosh, I'd completely forgotten we'd introduced them!"

Is how I'd imagine this came about.