Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Technically they are. You could argue that the stereophonic effect is barely perceptible but it's still there. I see nothing wrong with using the term here.
Without separation of channels, which there cannot be with tiny speakers so close, you do not have stereo regardless of signal. Spin it all you but it's still mono when it reaches your ears unless your ears are 4/5 of inch apart.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Rumor is that the Swiss Army will be designing the next Apple adapter.

universal_converter_box.png

No way.

Think of the profit when you need an adapter for each conversion .....

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm not sure the pay will bundle it with the iPhone, but an adapter will exist

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
When will Apple realize that NOBODY, I repeat, NOBODY wants stupid, octopus-like dongles on ANY of their devices?! It's like Apple's trying to do the new MacBook thing again, except worse because the iPhone uses Lighting instead of USB-C (If they opted to use USB-C, I'd support them 100%). This is outright STUPID! Advancing forward in technology does NOT involve making products LESS functional!
Here's a thought. What if BOTH lightning enabled earbuds as well as a 3.5mm to lightning adapter are included in the box? (that way, anyone that has hardwired earphones that they absolutely LOVE have no reason to call Apple and complain?) (seems a lot cheaper than a phone call to me).

And, as for Octopus-like - why couldn't it be as straight-forward as the micro-usb to lightning adapters I get from monoprice? :)

IMG_0155.JPG

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I used to hate comments on this site talking about how post-Steve Apple has been deteriorating…now I'm just sad because of how true it is (mainly as far as this dongle business goes)

All the post-Steve negativity is nostalgia-driven nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The original iPhone, which I owned, also required a dongle for 3rd party headphones.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Speakers 4/5 of an inch from each other are not stereo. But someone keeps pushing that theme to the ignorant.
Well, stereo outputs dual channel audio from the L and R channels, so it is not the same as 2x what we currently have, and hopefully will be significantly better.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Technically they are. You could argue that the stereophonic effect is barely perceptible but it's still there. I see nothing wrong with using the term here.
Technically you're right. But I have found that relying on "technically" as part of a features argument is tantamount to pushing a load of marketing bs. If the effect is barely perceptible then it's useless from a practicality standpoint and serves as nothing more than a bullet point on a marketing campaign.

Why would you, an intelligent person, be okay with the term here? You've already admitted it's, in your own words, barely perceptible. Heck, even speakers on the top and bottom would yield minimal stereo separation. Small speakers that close together is stereo only in the most pedantic sense. Is it okay because it's Apple and not Samsung or any other handset manufacturer? Genuinely curious.

commanderg

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2016
San Francisco, CA
When has apple ever shipped a device or system with a dongle. Or shipped a device that required use of a dongle?

I doubt this would happen. The iPhone 7 will probably ship with lightning headphones and a lightning charger. A dongle is probably an accessory for $5.

It's been a while but they used to ship Powerbooks with dongles.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Doesn't matter if I know it or not stereo is impossible when the speakers are essentially right next to each other regardless of platform
Well, maybe people actually are able to experience a stereo effect even if the speakers are only about an inch apart? Are you aware of 'stereo' devices with such a speaker distance that in tests did not produce a stereo effect with listeners?

iTom501

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
London
Here we go again with the ''Apple can't innovate'' army of cry babies. Someone remind me when Apple innovated?
Was it when the first iPhone came out and everybody laughed that it doesn't have 3G or video recording?
Or when they added 3G and a faster processor to the iPhone 3G?
Was is when the iPhone 4 only had the new screen resolution and problems with the antenna?
When iPhone 5 had nothing but a bigger screen and faster internals?
Siri anybody?!

And how far can innovation go? Like do you really want a phone with a water fountain or something really crazy that will make you think ''oh innovation :eek:''

They are making a water proof iPhone - something apple users would only dream about prior to having the watch and dual cam that will likely change how we take photos with our phones and they'll remove the jack, uh - oh, There's bluetooth headphones for that, Apple removed the CD slot in all their computers several years ago and look, I don't even remember the proper name it had.

Thanks for reading this far, you are probably very angry by now. Sorry.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
All the post-Steve negativity is nostalgia-driven nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The original iPhone, which I owned, also required a dongle for 3rd party headphones.
And I'm 99% sure Steve knew about the change over from 30 pin to lightning port which everyone complained about but now loves.
Which shipped with no dongle. Sold separately. I had a few of them but eventually bough all new cables.

Reactions: thekeyring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.