Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Hold up everyone - that image of the dual-camera iPhone "Pro" case looks beautiful.

What are the odds that Apple is positioning the "iPhone 7" as a lower-cost alternative to the standard-price "iPhone Pro"?

Reactions: Demo Kit

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Here:
1. You go the mall and get a pair of Bluetooth headphones.
2. You don't buy the new iPhone because you don't like that it doesn't have a headphone jack.
3. You buy an Android or a Windows phone that has a headphone jack.

I truly hope that this answered your question.

1), already have 2, but perfer to keep my options open (I guess Apple doesn't care about that)
2). like many here (10 million less sales from last year),
3). same as 2.

how many users Apple will lose this year? Another 10 mil?

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
When will Apple realize that NOBODY, I repeat, NOBODY wants stupid, octopus-like dongles on ANY of their devices?! It's like Apple's trying to do the new MacBook thing again, except worse because the iPhone uses Lighting instead of USB-C (If they opted to use USB-C, I'd support them 100%). This is outright STUPID! Advancing forward in technology does NOT involve making products LESS functional!

The fact that they chose a proprietary connector is obnoxious when their own laptop is already using the universal standard. For a company obsessed with design the decision seems odd. Just use USB C!

Pamela5

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
No one wants a dongle for their headphones, horrible move. Don't be surprised if this is scrapped for the 7s and all 7 users are stuck with this mistake until they upgrade again. I don't mind a touch sensitive home button as long as you can still press it as well, call me old fashioned but physical buttons are more convenient for me when I'm out and about.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
When has apple ever shipped a device or system with a dongle. Or shipped a device that required use of a dongle?

I doubt this would happen. The iPhone 7 will probably ship with lightning headphones and a lightning charger. A dongle is probably an accessory for $5.
An offical dongle from Apple won't be $5. More like a low price of $29.99.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
This rumor of lack of headphone jack kind of saddens me, but could it be an attempt to guarantee water proofing?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Apple will market with the words "best", "most unapolotic iPhone ever", "can't innovate my ass", "We dropped 50% of the visible external antenna bands", "We added 14% more battery life", "The best camera for an iPhone yet" and the list will go on and on.

People will still consume because they believe it, want the latest and greatest, and Apple will continue to give us half-assed innovations each year, while focusing less and less on the iPhone as they have Macs and focus on their new "Apple Smart Car".

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
This phone is going to be a hilarious disaster

Keep repeating that year after year. Maybe you'll be lucky and it will come true some day.

Me? I'll stick with history and the fact the iPhone sells ridiculously well with every new version. I see no reason for it to change this time. People ALWAYS complain about something they hate about each new iPhone and why they won't buy it. Doesn't mean a thing in the real world (away from raging nerds on Internet forums).

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I'm going to use this opportunity to wheel out these again:

First:

The Dongle Song

It can't ever really be wrong-le
To love another Apple dongle
When I see a port not being used
It cries out for some dongle news

Dongle! Dongle!
Here's a dongle!
Shove it in, it's fun to fondle
Who needs headphones that plug straight in?
When you can put a dongle in between!

I decided to write this song-le
All about the prospect of another dongle
When it's recorded upon my phone
I'll listen to it through my dongle at home

Dongle! Dongle!
Here's a dongle!
Who doesn't want more junk to carry?
If dongles were people, they're the kind I'd marry!

I've thought about it for too long-le
All I want is another dongle
Convenience and choice are over-rated
Yet another dongle is already belated

Dongle! Dongle!
Here's a dongle!
Who doesn't want a billion-and-one
Instances of dongle-dongle dongley fun!

Dongle dongle dongle dongle
Dongle!

---

Secondly:
5o8ugk.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I hope Apple makes a Really expensive case for me to carry my Dongle in.

Joking aside. In any case, I hope this article is accurate. I will be upgrading in September and this at least will be one less accessory I need to worry about.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Apple is so obsessed with thinness, it's insane. If anything, I wouldn't mind if they made the phone a bit thicker to accommodate a larger battery, since battery life is the largest issue with these phones. But they want to make it thinner and get rid of one of the most widely accepted universal standards (3.5mm headphone jack)..

B.K.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
When has apple ever shipped a device or system with a dongle. Or shipped a device that required use of a dongle?

I doubt this would happen. The iPhone 7 will probably ship with lightning headphones and a lightning charger. A dongle is probably an accessory for $5.
Apple ships computers daily with dongles for VGA, DVI, Ethernet, etc..
You are mistaken if you think this adapter is going to be $5.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
1), already have 2, but perfer to keep my options open (I guess Apple doesn't care about that)
2). like many here (10 million less sales from last year),
3). same as 2.

how many users Apple will lose this year? Another 10 mil?

Not to argue, and completely off-topic, but I wonder how many of those 10M lost users were actually due to the fact that they no longer like iPhones or were pissed because Apple either did or didn't change something they wanted.

I ask because I work with several people who switch from Android to Apple almost every year, just because they prefer the way one looks more than the other, or because their friends bought one and they wanted the same.

A lost sales is a lost sale. But IMO, those who aren't tied to an ecosystem are casual buyers, at best. Not long-term customers for whichever brand they choose on a given day.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I think it is dumb for apple to make the camera on the Plus so much better than the regular model. I don't want the bigger size iPhone, is there really not enough room for the better camera in the regular size iPhone?

Reactions: 5105973

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
While I agree this iPhone 7 isn't looking to be anything innovative or exciting (and I won't be upgrading), I'm confident that it will be a respectable all-around update (evolution not revolution). Even with Jobs, Apple was never the "throw a bunch of things out there to see what sticks" kind of company. They don't make change just for the sake of change.

Regarding the dongle (which it appears is your main concern), Jobs was always a big proponent of removing ports/buttons. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that. Dongles were very much a thing in the Jobs era to assist in the transition away from certain ports. I doubt Jobs would have wanted to keep the headphone jack. I'm not a fan and not defending the decision, but it's a classic Apple/Jobs move.

Personally, while I think including a (free) dongle is a great move, I believe Apple needs to really push wireless headphones. I've been primarily using bluetooth headphones for the past year (the Apple Watch is what pushed me in that direction), and I think they are a marked improvement over wired. There is definitely room to improve, and I hope Apple can innovate on that front. Battery life hasn't even really been a big issue for me.

True to a point, but Jobs was much more in favor of standards than is often acknowledged. When he returned to Apple, it computers were littered with Apple-proprietary connections. He jettisoned those, but in favor of USB, when he pitched hard as something that should become the new industry standard. FireWire and Thunderbolt, too, were supposed to be industry-standard connections (and were, although not nearly as successfully so as USB). My guess is that Jobs would be giving the legacy headphone jack a hard look, but that his preferred alternative would have been USB-C, and that this would be appearing on every new Mac and iDevice (and, on the latter, as the only port).

And while I think there are key differences between removing the headphone jack and Apple's prior removal of other legacy ports, I (and others, I suspect) would feel considerably different about this if a non-proprietary solution were the one being advanced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.