Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McPaul

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
Vancouver
How have past RED products done wrt chipping or rubbing off the paint?

Rocking an old, slow, Nexus 5. Buy RED or wait until iPhone 8?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I saw the red iPhone 7 at Best Buy yesterday, one day after release, and it had huge scratches in it.
I'm guess it was vandalized but it looked as bad as you would think.

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
I've always been a fan of many of the (product) red items, and although I think a black one would look better, the white one looks awesome. Wasn't planning on it but, I decided to pick one up. It is restoring from back up now. Made it easier, knowing a friend of mine was willing to buy my JetBlack, so it wasn't as much of a hit to the pocket.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
So the 7+ looks great, I went with the 7 because I already have a black 7+.

I may have to go exchange for the RED 7+ the 7 is too small for me. I also have a lot of cases for the 7+...

I think the black battery case covers almost the entire red portion of the phone, better to get a clear case. They did not have the product RED battery case in the store when I was there, otherwise I would have likely gotten that.

Attachments

• IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 580
  • IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 533
  • IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 744
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 557
Last edited:

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
So the 7+ looks great, I went with the 7 because I already have a black 7+.

I may have to go exchange for the RED 7+ the 7 is too small for me. I also have a lot of cases for the 7+...

I think the black battery case covers almost the entire red portion of the phone, better to get a clear case. They did not have the product RED battery case in the store when I was there, otherwise I would have likely gotten that.

Thats exactly what I did, I wanted to go for a smaller phone to be my personal one so I got the 7 but its just too small and the speakers on it are just not as good (either as loud or as clear) as the 7 plus. Just waiting on the replacement to come this week :)

Reactions: Jetcat3

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Thats exactly what I did, I wanted to go for a smaller phone to be my personal one so I got the 7 but its just too small and the speakers on it are just not as good (either as loud or as clear) as the 7 plus. Just waiting on the replacement to come this week :)

So will you keep both devices?

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Can someone please tell us which version it came with? morbid curiosity,

Which version?

If operating system, at the time of release it had 10.2.1 on it. I bought two of them and they both came with 10.2.1

10.3 was released earlier today and will likely come on all newer ones.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Granmageek

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2016
I think the red is lovely but the white face makes it look dorky. If they offer the 8+ in red with a black face I'll take it in a heart beat.

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
For everyone wishing it the Red iPhone had a Black face instead of white (me included), the best justification I heard/read was the fact that the slowest moving SKU from the iPhone colors are the silver ones, so it made sense to use the White front and the silver ring (both could be from the Silver units before they're assembled).
That would definitely lower the cost since the pieces are already available.
I haven't seen this mentioned previously in this thread, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

And here's a tip, I've seen people cover their Red iPhone with a Black E2E Screen protector and a clear case with Black edges and apart from the white home button, the phone looked good!

Can't show you what I'm talking about as it was on a retailer's Snapchat account.

Reactions: ZeroGauge

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
For everyone wishing it the Red iPhone had a Black face instead of white (me included), the best justification I heard/read was the fact that the slowest moving SKU from the iPhone colors are the silver ones, so it made sense to use the White front and the silver ring (both could be from the Silver units before they're assembled).
That would definitely lower the cost since the pieces are already available.
I haven't seen this mentioned previously in this thread, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

And here's a tip, I've seen people cover their Red iPhone with a Black E2E Screen protector and a clear case with Black edges and apart from the white home button, the phone looked good!

Can't show you what I'm talking about as it was on a retailer's Snapchat account.

Also, Apple has always used Red and White for Product Red. Look back at all of the Product Red iPods, they all had white click wheels, faces, etc.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Also, Apple has always used Red and White for Product Red. Look back at all of the Product Red iPods, they all had white click wheels, faces, etc.
The red for product red is too bright for black. Even on the phone of the guy who swapped jet black and product red faces - the red was too bright to be nice with the black.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Went to the AS yesterday, I was disappointed by the iPhone RED.
It looks really good in picture, but I didn't like the color once I saw it in person. It was full of fingerprints as usual, even the Jet Black looks bad for that reason when you see it in AS, but nevertheless it wasn't the kind of RED I was expecting.
The RED cover looks better in comparison

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Saw it for the first time in person today and was kinda disappointed. The red is kind of a duller red to me. I was hoping for something more vibrant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.