Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple opened pre-orders for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus last Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time, and T-Mobile has now revealed that the smartphones shattered all of the carrier's previous iPhone pre-order records. T-Mobile said pre-orders from Friday through Monday were up nearly 4x compared to the iPhone 6 series two years ago.

iphone-family-late-2016.jpg

T-Mobile also announced the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus set a single day sales record for any smartphones ever in the carrier's history, although it stopped short of sharing any specific numbers. iPhone 7 was already T-Mobile's top pre-registered smartphone ever, topping pre-registrations for both iPhone 6s and iPhone 6.

iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will be available beginning September 16 at T-Mobile stores in the U.S. and on its website. Its prepaid brand MetroPCS customers will carry the smartphones beginning September 23. iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models from AT&T and T-Mobile do not support CDMA networks such as Verizon and Sprint.

T-Mobile is offering a free 32GB iPhone 7 to new or existing customers who trade in their fully functional iPhone 6 or later sans water damage or a shattered screen. A two-year financing agreement is required.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Broke T-Mobile's All-Time Sales Record on Pre-Order Day

Reactions: keysofanxiety

AJ5790

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Phoenix
I bought a T-Mobile model since my business plan with AT&T blocked me... I am sure many others did too.
I'm sure your anecdotal experience is indicative of the entire reason they sold more phones, oh and sprint is reporting the same thing.

Reactions: caliko

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm not too surprised. They're practically giving away iPhones, and also T-Mobile has grown a lot as a carrier in the past couple of years so breaking records is not unusual.

In fact I'd be surprised if they didn't break records at this point. Even AT&T and Verizon have been in lockstep with T-Mobile's offers, bringing out similar (if inferior) promotions. I'd have switched to T-Mobile by now if they didn't have coverage issues in a few places I frequent.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
In fact I'd be surprised if they didn't break records at this point. Even AT&T and Verizon have been in lockstep with T-Mobile's offers, bringing out similar (if inferior) promotions. I'd have switched to T-Mobile by now if they didn't have coverage issues in a few places I frequent.

In my opinion, T-Mobile is the only consumer-friendly U.S. cellular company right now. Their promotion and data policies are much more reasonable.

Sadly, my friend has had T-Mobile for years and she still has issues with cell strength or long texts getting broken up into random pieces or send 2/3 times. They've gotten much better, but until they're as reliable as verizon (relatively), I won't switch.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I guess all the pundits saying that we can skip this year are being totally ignored. I did not pre order but will get one over the weekend at my local store.

Reactions: caliko and HEK

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
But, but! It doesn't have a headphone jack or a drastic redesign!! This wasn't supposed to happen!! Whine, whine, whine....

Time will tell. Anyone making a "conclusion" now about future success based on a normal response/expectation to any iPhone release, S models included, is just being premature.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I'm kind of surprised considering there hasn't been as much hype or interest. Definitely nowhere near the 6/6s... But at the same time I'm not because of that promo.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
iPhones have been successful since June 29, 2007 and this year will be more continued success.

Technically it's only been successful from September 5, 2007, when it received a $200 price cut because hardly anyone wanted to pay $600 for an unlocked phone. Granted they had still sold a million at full price. However, those 1 million people who bought it prior to then were upset and Jobs gave them a $100 refund, because Steve Jobs would have done that.

Reactions: kdarling

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Technically it's only been successful from September 5, 2007, when it received a $200 price cut because hardly anyone wanted to pay $600 for an unlocked phone. Granted they had still sold a million at full price. However, those 1 million people who bought it prior to then were upset and Jobs gave them a $100 refund, because Steve Jobs would have done that.

The Original iPhone launch was nothing but a success. But thanks for the history lesson.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
But, but! It doesn't have a headphone jack or a drastic redesign!! This wasn't supposed to happen!! Whine, whine, whine....
I was surprised at the reference to iPhone 6 two years ago as that was the record sales. Read reports yesterday that the phone wasn't selling as well as last years 6s +. Of course, later it said the Jet Black sales were so high that it was making up for the lower sales of he other models. Click bait at its best.

Reactions: caliko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.