iPhone 7 Could Have Touch-Sensitive Home Button as Waterproof and Dustproof Rumors Persist

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 25, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Less than five months before Apple is expected to launch the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, supply chain rumors continue to suggest that the next-generation smartphones will be both fully waterproof and dustproof.

Apple is also reportedly testing a touch-sensitive home button for its upcoming flagship handset, possibly meaning the iPhone 7 could have a flush home button, according to Taiwanese website DigiTimes (via I4U News).

[​IMG]
    iPhone 7 mockup with a traditional home button

DigiTimes has a mixed track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans, but at least three previous reports have claimed the iPhone 7 will be waterproof over the past seven months, and dustproofing would be inherently plausible. Comparatively, the iPhone 6s is surprisingly water resistant, but not entirely waterproof.

In September, a source on Chinese microblogging service Weibo said the iPhone 7 will have a strengthened, waterproof frame, backed up by a Fast Company report that also claimed the device will be thinner than the iPhone 6s. Rumors suggest the iPhone 7 could be as thin as 6.1mm like the iPod touch.

Rumors surrounding the home button on future iPhones are less consistent. Back in June 2015, a report claimed that Apple was looking to develop new display technology with "integrated fingerprint sensors," potentially allowing for the company to eventually do away with the iconic home button on iPhones.

[​IMG]

Last month, Apple was granted a patent for a pressure-sensitive Liquidmetal home button that deforms slightly when pressed, but returns to its normal shape when the user removes their finger or thumb. Apple has annually renewed its exclusive rights to use the malleable alloy since 2010, but has yet to do so in a major way.

Last week, Barclays analyst Mark Moskowitz speculated that Apple will skip its traditional "S" upgrade cycle next year and introduce the iPhone 8 without a physical home button. Apple's single-chip solution for touchscreen and display drivers could allow for a Touch ID-enabled screen, eliminating the need for a separate home button.

iPhone 7 and/or iPhone 7 Plus models are also rumored to feature a Smart Connector, dual-lens cameras, no 3.5mm headphone jack, repositioned antenna bands, stereo speakers, wireless charging, and a larger battery, but Apple may hold off on some features until its next iPhone with OLED in 2017.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Could Have Touch-Sensitive Home Button as Waterproof and Dustproof Rumors Persist

2. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Looking forward to September!

(I'm on the new number cycle, and Mrs. thequik is on the S cycle)

3. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

4. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I like the physical home button, I've never been a fan of those capacitive buttons on android phones.

5. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

6. igorsky Suspended

This news is irrelevant unless corroborated by the great analyst Ming Chi-Kuo. Then, and only then, will I believe it.

7. kennyab macrumors newbie

Whatever it takes to make a waterproof phone, I'm there. And since I got the 6s Plus, that's about the only new thing that will make me upgrade this cycle. But to be able to take the phone out on the water and not be paranoid when I pull it out of the dry box, that's a killer feature for me.

8. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I wouldn't mind this. The touch-sensitive button on the HTC A9 works really well -- the fingerprint reader was fast, and tapping it to go to the homescreen was instant. I'm sure Apple can pull off something similar.

9. vmachiel macrumors 68000

I knew this day would come, but I'll actually mis the physical home button. Great for a quick screenshot, and reliable to do resets or DFU mode if the software froze or broke.

10. Serban Suspended

Until iphone 8, apple can keep with big sales if they offer bigger battery life, water proof and ipad pro display

11. dan110 macrumors 6502a

dan110

Just please, no more shatter and chip happy glass.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

No no no. I don't think I will be ok with an iPhone that doesn't have a physical home button.

13. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

14. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

Oooh, the liquid metal trope again. Are people really that ignorant and guillable?

15. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Sarcasm aside, I will believe it when Mark Gurman confirms it.

16. henryngan2006 macrumors newbie

You don't have it on the MacBook but it feels identical to the physical one. I'm sure Apple will do the same stuff on the iPhone if they're gonna remove the physical button.

17. uid15 Suspended

uid15

My cat "could have" wings, but she doesn't. The physical, concave home button is a cornerstone of the iPhone design and is easy to locate quickly. That IS NOT going away, Apple are not that stupid (even if YOU are) please stop spreading myths.

18. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

You can have something with a similar shape / design as the current home button while making it touch...

19. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

I typically wait for Tim or Phil, personally...

20. uid15 Suspended

uid15

For what earthly reason?

21. Gawjuz macrumors member

Gawjuz

It should make for an interesting design change if the physical home button is truly done away with

22. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

23. newdeal macrumors 68020

24. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I'm on the upgrade every year cycle

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

They need to do something to shake things up. The iPhone design has become stale and predictable. Although I can't see them making some massive change this year and another one next year too. That's just not how Apple rolls. So unless there is some mindset change in Cupertino, I think a lot of these predictions aren't going to pan out. On the other hand, sales seem to be a little flat and their engineers must get bored of releasing things that just aren't all that revolutionary. So I guess anything is possible at this point.