Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Ford: "We've decided to do away with the brake pedal on all future cars, instead, replacing it with a touch sensitive glass pad which is integrated into the foot well"

Yeah? no. These people clearly do not know Apple very well AT ALL.

Normally I would agree. But given the decline of good design at Apple (see Siri remote) it wouldn't shock me to see this happen.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
The physical button is one of the best design features in iOS products and the lack thereof one of the most annoying things about Android devices. Ergonomics matter.

VERY few people understand simple design which is carefully considered and made to feel comfortable, and people asking Apple to align it's design philosopy with the "current trend" in Android devices... wow, that is laughable. I can put my hand in my pocket, hold down the home button and say "Set timer, 5 minutes" - my fingers know that dimple, so simple! :p
[doublepost=1461594848][/doublepost]
Normally I would agree. But given the decline of good design at Apple (see Siri remote) it wouldn't shock me to see this happen.
Single function device - it's a remote.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Isn't TouchID already touch sensitive? Reachability? Apple Pay?
Directional force detection, remember the "nub" on IBM laptops? Think that in the home button. Great for cursor control, even better for an analog joystick for games.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...button-that-doubles-as-a-gaming-joystick.html

6a0120a5580826970c01b7c736e544970b-pi

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
For a huge, cash-rich company, Apple seems to be doing very little in terms of innovation, design, and maximising the potential and delivery of its products, or it is doing a heck of a lot behind the scenes.

Has Apple become a lazy, rudderless, commonplace producer of lamely fashionable tat, or is it going to surprise us with a move that will let it and technology take a giant leap forwards?

All this parsimonious mediocrity is so underwhelming.

They're making a car, dude. Chill.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
The popularity of the mechanical home button can be attributed to Apple's choice to appeal to older buyers than shun computers and have a certain fear of technology. It was a brilliant strategy at the time.

Those who bash using a modern capacitive button haven't experienced the speed and reliability.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
VERY few people understand simple design which is carefully considered and made to feel comfortable, and people asking Apple to align it's design philosopy with the "current trend" in Android devices... wow, that is laughable. I can put my hand in my pocket, hold down the home button and say "Set timer, 5 minutes" - my fingers know that dimple, so simple! :p
[doublepost=1461594848][/doublepost]
Single function device - it's a remote.

Wow that was a quick reply, lol.

I understand the Siri remote is a simpler device. But Apple had many years to work on the ATV4 and the remote's usability was pretty poor on launch. I'm specifically referring to its tiny, slim, symmetrical design that makes it virtually impossible to tell which side is up without looking at it, as well as how the slightest accidental touch to the touchpad caused the currently playing video to pause and skip to a new position.

The former has led some people to apply pieces of tape to their remote so they can more easily operate it in the dark, while the latter was mitigated in the last tvOS update.

To me this is just the latest worrisome example of Apple's loss of attention to detail and their increasing emphasis on aesthetics over functionality and ergonomics.

pward

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
I hope thats not all the innovation that Apple could have come up with, otherwise I will hold off to replace my iphone 6.
Lets sum up all the rumors:
- Thinner (not for me, I am happy with the current thickness and prefer a bigger battery)
- Waterproofing (wow, what an innovation, most android flagship phones have this already for years)
- headphone jack removal (please no!)
- some changes to the homebutton (IMO, get rid of it completely and integrate touch-id in the display = innovation)
- Updated design (depending on how it will look, I don't care too much since my phone is in a case anyway)
- Spec bump & camera improvements (as usual)

I really hope for Apple that there will be more then this...

If people are expecting mind-blowing innovation in phones in future then I suspect they will be disappointed. Smartphones are becoming/have become a mature technology and improvements in mature technologies tend to be smaller than in their nascent days.

Assuming the rumours are true, there is a reasonable list of small improvements but ultimately things aren't going to change significantly in future. What more "innovation" do people want? Remember, true innovation is both new AND useful...

Reactions: Dave Walker

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Can someone provide a list of all the mindblowing innovations in smartphones right now? All I see incremental improvements to make existing phones better. Nothing mindblowing though. What exactly do people want though? I'm sure pretty much anything you list could be labeled as incremental.

Shlooky

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
if the touch based home button becomes a reality, i think people will be accidentally touching it exiting their apps quite frequently no?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I'd miss the physical home button. When I reach into my pocket/bag to grab my phone I use the button feel so I grab it in the correct direction. Also find that I put my thumb on it then and by the time I have it out/up it is unlocked. If I physically have to look at it to figure out what direction to hold it, then have to unlocked it after I get that situated it will take more time. I know - first world problems - but it is a usability issue to me.

Reactions: HArzeh

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
They're making a car, dude. Chill.
True. But the problem there is that a car will take them into niche territory: fewer people can afford to buy cars, the buyers tend to be older, and the market is heavily fragmented.

Apple's strength in connecting with people came through the iPod: relatively cheap, accessible to people across the social and financial board, and great at hooking the younger generation into the Apple family.

By all means, make a car (or make something better than what we think of as a car today), but such a product risks diluting Apple's appeal and losing it the groundswell of support that it enjoys today with people across the planet.

Increasingly finding that people are falling out of love with Apple: messy product lines, glib designs and accessories, and underwhelming miserly products. No longer cutting edge and desirable, but achingly dull and fashionably risible.

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Increasingly finding that people are falling out of love with Apple: messy product lines, glib designs and accessories, and underwhelming miserly products. No longer cutting edge and desirable, but achingly dull and fashionably risible.

I'm finding this to be the case on tech blogs (from insightful and tech-savvy people like yourself) and maybe in the investor community, but not with people who actually use their products on a regular basis. These people, for some crazy reason, still love Apple.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
you know what would make Apple stand out in this aspect? come up with a technology that lets me actually use the device with wet fingers / under water. the Galaxy may be water proof but that doesnt mean u can actually use it under water

they are known to wait for the technology to support a good usability. at least in the past

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's fun and exciting to read about these rumors, but I find myself most excited about planning to go "retro" and get an SE once they are in regular stock at the Apple Stores

I'm keeping my 6SPlus that I love (except to carry around outdoors in the spring and summer) and switching to SE on days or weeks I will be active outdoors. With this little team, I think I'm set to sit comfortably on the sidelines until Apple comes out with something really compelling. As for what that may be, I guess I'll know it when I see it.

Apple is still going to get my money on a regular basis for different products, but I don't think it will be for every iPhone update anymore. I consider myself a bit burned on my iPhone 6 Plus purchase. As much as I love my 6S Plus, I was dissatisfied with my 6 Plus after awhile and most times wish I had skipped it and waited for the more refined S version. I'm wary about being an early adopter for iPhone redesigns now because of that.

Still, I'll enjoy the rumors and keep an open mind about my future options.

I just think it's funny that most of my fun on this forum is reading about a design that is now a few years old.

Reactions: Dr.Chroma

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Stale and predictable... or iconic? There's a reason that car manufacturers have kept the same grille design for decades. Can you imagine a BMW without the kidneys?
Stale. It's also rather difficult to draw a comparison to something that is replaced as often as a phone. Or something in the fast past tech world vs. a mature product like a car. Or something that cost $600 vs. $60,000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.