iPhone 7 no headphone Jack Petition

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdpage, Jan 5, 2016.

1. cdpage macrumors member

ok it's laughable how much power Apple has that it can recklessly Anger most of its user base, and still come out on top.

Now, if they are changing the headphone jack to bluetooth, fine, but if they are making some new fandangled jack... they have completely lost it. For what? better quality? to be thinner?

Who really want's a thinner phone? (with crackable screens)

Anyhow, I came across this petition and had to laugh.

https://action.sumofus.org/a/iphone-headphone-jack/?akid=16032.7859725.TQ2H_1&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=1

Not sure if anyone here would ever sign something like this, but there is it.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

Yeah Apple is going to throw millions of dollars in R&D because a few weirdos are angry they will have to buy an adapter. Same morons who complained when lightning came around.

3. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

I'm not throwing in with the 3.5 or Lightning camp, I'm just adding a comment.

I never used my 3.5 mm jack, its technically a liability to me. But in its place, another set of speakers? Would they be able to reconfigure the space inside the phone for a bigger battery now that the audio jack is removed? Is this just another baseless rumor like the sapphire glass screen?

4. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Never will work. Period. Why do people even bother or posts these things are beyond me

5. Ternary macrumors regular

Not only won't this petition work, it hasn't even been confirmed from Apple that the next iPhone won't have a headphone jack.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, although I hope Apple doesn't do away with the headphone jack.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

A better way to teach Apple a lesson is to not buy products that don't fit your needs. Throw away the ecosystem rehtoric and just buy what works for you. If no 3.5mm port, decide if that sacrifice is a worthy one. if not, there are absolutely other options and I guarantee you most people can do everything they need on a different OS.

8. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

This is completely different. In the Lightning case, Apple replaced one proprietary cable/connector with another.

This rumour is them removing an industry standard, non-proprietary connector for no benefit or improvement in functionality.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I'm definitely not signing a petition. Apple is free to operate how they want. If they are dumb enough remove the headphone jack, I'll just switch to another company. Who cares.

10. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I've never liked wired headphones so the loss of the jack doesn't concern me.... As long as it's not replaced by a lightning cable set of headphones.

If Apple goes to a Bluetooth setup then I'll love it. Like Vicrooloo said, I'd rather have a second speaker.

11. rzc16512 macrumors regular

Can I sign a petition to stop petitions over speculated features that will be ignored by the company being petitioned?

12. Nipommu macrumors regular

better design = lesser stuff, more real estate for continuous lines and curves which are aesthetically pleasing.

its time...ditch the 3.5

13. noobinator macrumors 601

They got rid of the old connector why? Because it was big. Phone got thinner with lightning. Getting rid of headphone jack why? To make phone thinner with using lightning/blue tooth for headphones. You are right. These are completely different.

14. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

the thing is the ecosystem rhetoric isn't a rhetoric.
    I use imessage and facetime almost everyday to talk to family, all of us live in different cities.

Apple is literally making me choose between my family and my headphone collection + my bluetooth-less car (and the ability to have my friends DJ on road trips!)

15. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

JFC, this rumor when from an amusing level of bemoaning to now getting out of hand with a freaking petition.

16. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I say that people should threaten to sacrifice their birth right to a new iPhone this year and protest until they squeak 'I'm going Android' to force Apples hand so they don't design the exact product they want to design in favour of the preference of victimised Prima donnas who would sign this petition.

Now, if you were talking about a confirmed rumour of hospital equipment losing specific critical functionality, I might sign such a petition.

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

No, because I just signed a petition to stop your petition to stop petitions over speculated features that will be ignored by the company being petitioned.

18. dannys1 macrumors 68010

dannys1

Just came here to post about this petition - the incredible sensationalism is obviously written by a complete moron.

Its nothing but a basic rumour and already they've fabricated about 10 lies about it. ALL YOUR HEADPHONES WILL HAVE TO GO IN THE BIN.

The worst case scenario in all this, if it does even happen (which I think is about 50/50 at the minute) is that you'll get a lightning adapter, you're not suddenly going to have to "destroy the earth by throwing all your consumer electronics into the bin cos of Apple"

19. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

[​IMG]

20. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Dock connector: 2003 - 2012

I cannot see Apple replacing lightning with another port, propitiatory or otherwise - so, if we apply that same timespan to the lightning connector then we will see an iPhone with NO ports within the next 5 years.

If you thought people were making a fuss over the headphone jack, just wait for them to ditch the lightning port!!

21. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The current iPod Nano is 5.4 mm thick. It's just thick enough that it can still fit a headphone jack inside.

The current iPhone 6S is 7.1 mm thick, and 7.3mm for the Plus. That is a whole 1.7-1.9 mm difference which, when you consider it's measured in Apple's world, is gigantic.

Apple could easily make a thinner phone and keep the 3.5mm jack.

22. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

They might be removing it not for thinness, but because they can't make it waterproof. Supposedly the IPhone 7 will be waterproof and if the only thing preventing from them doing it is a headphone jack then they will sacrifice it. It's not like they won't provide an adaptor for wired headsets and the IPhone has always had the ability to use Bluetooth headsets.

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I don't want a grandma phone. Apple should get rid of the headphone jack and just have the lighting port.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My Sony Z1 compact that I used to have was waterproof and didn't need a port cover for the headphone jack. If Sony can do it why can't Apple? And if it is an issue of Sony having a patent for it, the headphone jack is important enough that Apple should just go and pay for the licensing of whatever Sony does to make it work.

25. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

What is so water-proof about a Lightning port that they couldn't do the same to the 3.5mm?