Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
What is so water-proof about a Lightning port that they couldn't do the same to the 3.5mm?
Maybe they don't want to pay Sony for a patent? I couldn't care if there was a headphone jack or not. My Bluetooth headphones work perfectly. There could be other reasons besides thinness maybe dual speakers on the bottom. The Lightning port would be next. All they really need is a wireless chrginging of some kind that is faster then QI.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Maybe they don't want to pay Sony for a patent? I couldn't care if there was a headphone jack or not. My Bluetooth headphones work perfectly. There could be other reasons besides thinness maybe dual speakers on the bottom. The Lightning port would be next. All they really need is a wireless chrginging of some kind that is faster then QI.

It's about space saving to produce a smaller device, which I'm glad of because the iPhone is too wide and tall.

Waterproofing, thinness, catalysing the Bluetooth audio industry, high quality audio are just positive by-products.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

That's the thing. When wireless charging arrives, ditch the 3.5mm asap in favor of lightning - however wireless charging for iPhones has not arrived. I think it's great that you love bluetooth headphones. Some of us don't want wireless transmissions near our head all day while we're on calls.

Reactions: MrWillie

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
That's the thing. When wireless charging arrives, ditch the 3.5mm asap in favor of lightning - however wireless charging for iPhones has not arrived. I think it's great that you love bluetooth headphones. Some of us don't want wireless transmissions near our head all day while we're on calls.

How do you manage that? Do you use speakerphone exclusively?

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
haha I heard about this.. considered the air tube. I guess it's back to speakerphone only! :)

I heard these are pretty safe ;)

tin-can-telephone.jpg~original

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Hope the removing headphone jack thing isn't true but if it is I definitely wont be upgrading and keeping my 6s+ as long as possible.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
This is not good news since I like other headphones with standard 3.5mm jack. Apple's headphone earbuds are very uncomfortable (at least to me and friends/families), and they tend to break easily... I still use Samsung headphone that came with Galaxy Note 2 (2012), and it still works while my new iPhone's headphone broke after 4 months (same case with headphones that came with 3G and 4). I also like how Samsung's headphone completely blocks out noises, and sounds really bass-y.

Hopefully Apple updates the standard iPhone headphones for the newer lightning jack.

cdpage

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Canada
If apple did switch to USB-C it would be amazing. We could all have a true Ecosystem again. The industry could participate and worry less about Apple ***** off again.

As for the 3.5, I don't use it. But this is how it could affect me.
PRO:
1. Improved Water Proofing
2. More Battery!
3. Cost Savings (less parts, easier manufacturing)

CON:
1. Thinner Phone
2. Potential (though unlikely) new useless port
[doublepost=1452111610][/doublepost]If apple did switch to USB-C it would be amazing. We could all have a true Ecosystem again. The industry could participate and worry less about Apple ***** off again.

As for the 3.5, I don't use it. But this is how it could affect me.
PRO:
1. Improved Water Proofing
2. More Battery!
3. Cost Savings (less parts, easier manufacturing)

CON:
1. Thinner Phone
2. Potential (though unlikely) new useless port

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
The iPhone 7's design is already set in stone. They've already started production of parts for it. The only solution is to keep your iPhone 6 and not upgrade. You may can petition to have the jack put back in an iPhone 8, but that's unlikely. Apple leads the way in making certain devices and standards obsolete (floppy drive, CD's, etc.).

(Who knows if the headphone jack is even removed with the iPhone 7 design. Only way to know is when it's announced.)

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
I don't really mind the change itself.

But would favour it more if lightning became an industry standard. A non industry standard is just asking for problems for something as common as headphones. It's not the 80's anymore.

Maybe pushing lightning more as a license free standard first...

Also, how much space does the current jack occupies inside the iPhone? How much space will they win with this change? Every tiny mm is worth thinking about in the Apple world. Maybe we even get two lightning ports and they still save space! That would be really interesting

Last edited:

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Yeah Apple is going to throw millions of dollars in R&D because a few weirdos are angry they will have to buy an adapter. Same morons who complained when lightning came around.
Your obviously not an engineer.
[doublepost=1452120372][/doublepost]
A better way to teach Apple a lesson is to not buy products that don't fit your needs. Throw away the ecosystem rehtoric and just buy what works for you. If no 3.5mm port, decide if that sacrifice is a worthy one. if not, there are absolutely other options and I guarantee you most people can do everything they need on a different OS.
Agreed.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'll be sad to see it go. My business relies on me using a few tools that connect via the 3.5mm flow air flow meters to pressure sensors.

image.jpeg

And both my gf and my businesses rely on credit card swipers that connect via 3.5mm jack.

I use Square..(adapter is to fit through otterbox)

image.jpg

My gf uses one provided by her bank.

Occasionally I even use headphones, hmm be curious to see what Apple includes for headphones with the iPhone.

Regardless I'll be curious to see the solution to the lack of 3.5mm jack. If Apple makes this some "sold separately" 80 dollar dongle like they did with the USB C adapter with the MacBook or Pencil with the iPad Pro this will be my last go around with the iPhone. Their devices are like buying budget airline tickets, 50 dollars for the ticket, 40 dollars for a carry on, 50 dollars for a check in bag, 15 dollars to pick your seat, 25 dollars for express check in, 7 dollars for a sober pilot.....just feels cheap to me....

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Are you welling to stop buying iPhone and goto Android or MS, if Apple eliminated 3.5mm jack?
This petition is useless, unless there is impact to Apple's bottom line, $$$$$.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've never liked wired headphones so the loss of the jack doesn't concern me.... As long as it's not replaced by a lightning cable set of headphones.

If Apple goes to a Bluetooth setup then I'll love it. Like Vicrooloo said, I'd rather have a second speaker.

REAL Stereo speaker in iPhone would be sweet! Everyone else in competition (i'm exaggerating but more have come on board here) has done stereo speakers.

Bluetooth: AptX + LDAC
(96kHz sampling rate) support - unsure if Sony propietary but it's proven with 24-bit audio Hi-Res audio quality. Have this and I'll be SUPER stoked! I have a serious soundbar system that will work perfectly with an iPhone supporting this (Does IP6S already support this?)

My Sony Z1 compact that I used to have was waterproof and didn't need a port cover for the headphone jack. If Sony can do it why can't Apple? And if it is an issue of Sony having a patent for it, the headphone jack is important enough that Apple should just go and pay for the licensing of whatever Sony does to make it work.

Funny Facts:
Xperia Z2-3+ Used port covers ... even with IP65/68 ratings higher than your Z1C.
Sony is denying warranty claims due to completely sub-merged water from users in EuroAsia and it's severly pissing them off and killing clout Sony had to their users. Z5 Series I'll still buy for other benefits (along with no port cover on Headphones 3.5mm jack).

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
If Apple does remove the 3.5 mm headphone jack, would it be assumed that they'l continue including headphones with their phones and include a pair that's compatible with the new plugin?

njmh

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Same morons who complained when lightning came around.

I didn't complain about lightning because it replaced a clunky and awkward plug with a small, convenient solution.

I'm complaining about no 3.5mm jack because it unnecessarily removes a still highly usable tech that's been around forever. I use the 3.5mm jack for my earphones, my car stereo AUX and my lounge stereo AUX. I don't have bluetooth attached to these things because I don't need too. Bluetooth doesn't add any convenience in this regard, in fact it adds significant inconvenience with the whole pairing situation, extra devices to have lying around and extra power consumption involved with the extra tech.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I'll be sad to see it go. My business relies on me using a few tools that connect via the 3.5mm flow air flow meters to pressure sensors.

View attachment 609192

And both my gf and my businesses rely on credit card swipers that connect via 3.5mm jack.

I use Square..(adapter is to fit through otterbox)

View attachment 609191

My gf uses one provided by her bank.

Occasionally I even use headphones, hmm be curious to see what Apple includes for headphones with the iPhone.

Regardless I'll be curious to see the solution to the lack of 3.5mm jack. If Apple makes this some "sold separately" 80 dollar dongle like they did with the USB C adapter with the MacBook or Pencil with the iPad Pro this will be my last go around with the iPhone. Their devices are like buying budget airline tickets, 50 dollars for the ticket, 40 dollars for a carry on, 50 dollars for a check in bag, 15 dollars to pick your seat, 25 dollars for express check in, 7 dollars for a sober pilot.....just feels cheap to me....

And they would still work with the adapter....... (by the way there's nothing like "bugdet" airline ticket in an iPhone... 700 $+ device)
It can be said about any phone / product... let's take Samsung, buy the phone then buy the case, then buy the micro sd, then buy the screen protector , then the extra battery pack oh alto the OTG usb adapter ........so good luck with your last iPhone, it'll be the last iphone not the last accessory you ave to buy.

A petition on something we do not even know if it will happen?
Let's make a petition so that Apple will not implement teleportation in the next iPhone, i want to fly big heavies not being teleported in 2 second to my destination!!

Last edited:

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Dang, I thought this was a petition to get Jack back on 24. Well I will admit that no headphone jack will give me pause on buying the iPhone 7. I use noise cancelling headphones so I can sleep while my wife snores!! If there is a Jack adaptor I'll be fine. If not will have to look around. Can't lose sleep over this!!

In the meantime, Jack please come back for another 24!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.