Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Slice Intelligence has shared new data that suggests the iPhone 7 Plus has outsold the iPhone 7 in the United States, marking the first time Plus-sized iPhones have proven more popular than 4.7-inch models, based on e-receipt data from nearly 32,000 customers who belong to the research firm's panel.

iphone-7-7-plus-split.jpg

The data shows that, in the first 48 hours of availability, 55 percent of customers ordered the iPhone 7 Plus, compared to 41 percent for the iPhone 6s Plus and 35 percent for the iPhone 6 Plus. The 5.5-inch model is a more attractive option this year given it has dual cameras, while the 4.7-inch model retains a single-lens camera.

55.9 percent of customers who pre-ordered an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus had previously purchased at least one iPhone between 2014 and now, according to Slice Intelligence. 34 percent of customers had not purchased any smartphone since 2014, while the remaining shoppers switched from Samsung, LG, and Motorola.

iphone-7-colors-popularity.jpg

Meanwhile, given the lack of Space Gray this year, Black has emerged as the new most popular iPhone color, accounting for 46 percent of pre-orders. Jet Black is also a popular choice, selected by 23 percent of customers, although limited supply of Jet Black models has pushed shipments of Jet Black models to November, likely leading many customers to choose Black, Gold, Rose Gold, or Silver instead.

Rose Gold models, first introduced on the iPhone 6s, represented 15 percent of iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus pre-orders, while Gold and Silver models trailed behind with 9 percent and 8 percent of orders respectively.

iPhone-7-storage-split.jpg

For the past three iPhone launches, over 60 percent of pre-orders over the first two days were on the middle storage option, according to Slice Intelligence. iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus continue that trend, with 128GB proving most popular at 67 percent, followed by 32GB at 14 percent and the all-new 256GB tier at 19 percent.

Slice Intelligence tracks e-receipts from 4.2 million online shoppers in the U.S., allegedly the largest panel of its kind, that sign up for the company's value-added services such as Slice and Unroll.me. Slice, for example, is a free app for tracking packages, receipts, price drops, product recall alerts, and more.

Slice Intelligence has charts with more detailed information on its website.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Plus, 128GB, and Black Models Prove Most Popular With Pre-Order Customers

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
It's not just bigger, it has more features...

It's got the DUAL cameras (and more internal RAM [3GB]).

We're not just comparing similar phones with different screens, the cameras makes it a different option. Some people might not even want/need the bigger screen but are choosing it for the camera.

If they'd made an SE model with a zoom lens, I might have purchased that, but not for the smaller screen....

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Interesting statistics. Personally, I've been rocking the 6 Plus for the last two years. Enjoyed the battery life, and it always fitted in all my pants. And no sign of Bend-gate either...

But after handling the SE from friends I've been missing that form factor, so I've opted for the middle ground with the standard 7 this time around. Thankfully they've added camera stabilization to it.

Last edited:

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
This goes a long way in explaining the shortages of iPhone 7 Plus. I don't think even Apple predicted that the Plus would be more popular than the non-Plus.

pcmacgamer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Im sure some got black ones mainly so they can show off their new device. Soon enough that exclusive feeling will go away... Once they put phone in case that looks exactly same as last two iPhones.

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I was saying to myself the other day, the loss of the headphone jack, and what some (but not me) see as a lackluster update may impact overall demand, but I bet that at the next earnings call we will hear about higher average selling price. Everyone I know who is buying a new iPhone is getting the plus, mostly for the camera. Even people (like me) who have resisted getting the larger size up until now for portability reasons.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Can you imagine how the short supply and huge demand ( I would guess maybe more then 75% then now with the iPhone 7) will be with next year's iPhone 8 huge update with according to rumors, OLED/wireless charging/edge to edge screen...

Guess if you are not lucky with the pre order for iPhone 8 in 2017, you are looking at a delivery somewhere in February 2018 ;)

Reactions: Mactendo

pcmacgamer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
There is nothing wrong with the display. You cant even see the pixels from a reasonable viewing distance and the colors are more accurate than any phone on the market.
That's his point why knowingly pay a premium for a display that is no longer considered premium. Can't use that good old "retina" marketing speak touting it as the best. When it is a lower quality display that shouldn't command top dollar. Apple needs to catch up to other companies when it comes to its iPhone displays.

Reactions: DanJBS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.