iPhone 7 plus annoying clicking/creaking sound

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by t1m1t, Sep 19, 2016.

1. t1m1t macrumors member

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem that I'm having. I have a 7 plus in black and everything about is perfect except whenever the phone is put under any amount of flex (from lifting it up or just holding it with two hands) the phone makes a slight creaking sound that sounds like something is loose (not a bending sound). The smallest amount of flex from everyday use causes the left side to make that sound which is quite audible. Another example is when I'm holding it with two hands, and press the top left and bottom right portions of the screen at the same time, it makes a slight click. Again, I'm not bending it or trying to bend it in any way. It's really annoying... I would love to exchange it for another one, but all of the apples stores within a 50 miles radius of me are completely out of stock.

2. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Same issue with my phone; when I pick up my phone at certain corners the phone makes this click and it's pretty annoying. I'm not even flexing the phone. I'm not sure if it's an issue if enough to exchange. But I'm afraid that the clicking might diminish the water resistance of the phone such as glue separation from the screen.

3. mustu macrumors 6502

It's the same with mine!!!its in the design and I'm sure all will do it I have checked out 3 already!!!

4. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

No way ! That kinda makes me feel better about mine haha. I haven't had the chance to check out other phones myself.

5. t1m1t thread starter macrumors member

Same here. I haven't had the chance to check out other models... I might stop by apple tomorrow after work to see what options I have... I'm thinking the only option is to either wait until they can swap them via the 1 year warranty, or return it and order a new one and wait 2-3 weeks for a phone (unless you find one in stock near you)

6. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

7. sqa4life macrumors regular

That's normal. Like you bite an apple and it makes sound :)

8. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Add me to the list. Mine is to the bottom right of the home button. A slight squeeze in that area and I get the creaking sound. The haptic feedback of the home button causes it to creak if I haven't used the phone for a few minutes.

So if i squeeze that area and it creaks, then squeez again it doesn't do it. Like something snapped in place. Give it 45 sec again it will do it again.

9. sinister184 macrumors member

Yep. I made a tread about this yesterday as well. Oddly my 7+ does it and and not a peep from the other 7 I have.

10. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

One of my iPad mini 4s did this on the bottom right next to the home button and I heard many iPad Pros do as well.

11. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Can you link me to your thread?

12. coleblk macrumors regular

Mine does it too. It's actually pissing me off the more it happens. Before I only noticed it when intentionally trying to make it happen which is a non-issue but now I'm noticing it whilist inside a case performing completely normal functions. Feels cheap unfortunately and my 6s would emit a creak here and there but nothing to this extent unfortunately. I've had previous iPhones that rivaled this though, like a particular 5s unit. Also some type of seal gunk was peeking out of the side of my unit as well. Hopefully not a sign my waterproofing is compromised. :/

13. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I was playing a game this morning and realized the body of my phone clicks with 100% reproducibility.

Hold your phone in landscape. Very gently rotate pressure in opposite directions as if you're going to twist the phone. Do you get a clicking noise? I wasn't concerned until I thought about the integrity of the water seal...

14. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I don't have a Plus but my regular 7 makes no clicking noise at all when doing this.

15. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

16. iTom501 macrumors member

iTom501

After spending £819 + £40 on a phone and a case I came home only to find out that the 7 plus Isn't probably as sturdy as the 6s was, the screen makes a Click sound when I press it harder (when using 3d touch) and It's not the screen touching the internals, More like when plastic phones make sounds when you pick them up. Is this happening to other people too?

And yes, It does hiss too from the back but that doesn't bother me, as It's probably caused by the heat or pressure which is understandable with the waterproof design.

17. sinister184 macrumors member

Yeah. There's been a quite few threads on it (clicking/creaking). Seems like a common problem. Not sure if anyone has had any luck replacing for one that doesn't do it.

18. iTom501 macrumors member

iTom501

Uh Oh, I'm not even going to try replacing it, It took me ages to reserve a plus in store, might try within 15 days if stock improves. They really need to do something about their products, This is the third phone with the same design, they should have mastered it by now!

19. iTom501 macrumors member

iTom501

20. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

why are you twisting your phone? just curious....under normal circumstances how often is your phone twisting because i can make most objects click or crack by twisting it.

21. sinister184 macrumors member

Mine clicks when using 3D Touch at corner points. So, holding the phone in my right hand and 3D Touch at the top left essentially creates the same opposing force as light twist would.

22. BigTomCallaghan macrumors member

Same issue here. I'm not sure what to think about the water-resistance now... Maybe the screen is just settling in?

23. Haziza macrumors member

Haziza

Try to tighten the two screws near the lightning connector. Fixed my Iphone 6 when the screen made a clicking sound med touching it!

24. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Twisting it is merely how to reproduce the sound. It does it "on its own" during various interactions. And again, the concern is the integrity of the water seal. Especially since Apple isn't covering water damage.