Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
this is good news actually because it might mean that they could make it much thinner but instead will make it the same and increase the battery life by a large margin. Now THAT would be a feature that would get people to buy it
I doubt they'll do that. That means when they make a slimmer device next year, battery life would be substantially reduced. They don't want to set a precedent of longer battery life.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
oh nos ma phone looks da same!

strange, didn't hear all this whining about MacBook case design being the same each year. or home audio receivers, etc...

I don't find it strange at all. I mean honestly I couldn't care less what the phone looked like, as long as it was decent, but phones in terms of aesthetics cannot be compared to a laptop (or home audio receiver... Wut?).

People always have their phones on them. Always. It becomes a part of one's life much more deeply than other electronics. Think cars; their aesthetics matter even more. Also, not updating the overall look of the device discourages people from upgrading more. And when iPhone is your biggest seller by far (and starting to decline for the first time ever), you're gonna want as many upgraders as possible.

Reactions: Demo Kit

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
A controlled leak through apple I bet to counter stock price drop today

I hope not!!...or they have woefully misjudged the risk here!

I have bought 4 - yes, FOUR....of every new iPhone model on launch day (for me and family members) - the iPhone 6S Plus's that we have now are perfectly functional and I see no benefit in any of the rumoured "upgrades" that the 7 will reportedly bring.....

...so this will be the first year when we will skip a model....and talking to friends and colleagues, they are going to do the same. A small example admittedly, but this is one of the reasons why their growth was unsustainable.

slimothy

Suspended
May 31, 2011
USA
Let's hope that these (false) leaks are actually being sent out by Apple strategically in an effort to lower our expectations, and then when the iPhone 7 comes out this year, it's either:

a) completely different
or
b) exactly like what we thought the 2017 iPhone was going to be.

I know this is almost definitely not the case, but a man can dream, right?

Madhawk

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Guess, I'll have to get rid of my Beats headphones.... not!

I'll stick to the iPhone 6s rather, thanks, but no thanks.

bfreek

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
if this is true, if they'll really pull another camera bulge, it's evidence for me that ive + team have lost it, that there's no steve saying no to utter **** like that and that tim only cares about his butt(om) line. with crap like that on his watch i really wonder why there's no 8gb 6s plus for 699.

**** like that wouldn't have happened with steve. period. no matter how far away you'd like to pull his legacy and apple's dependeny on someone like him.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So this is all just someone's renderings based on what someone thinks might be happening? And that means exactly what then?

Reactions: You are the One

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Identical thickness would be a disaster if they keep the same footprint. You are giving consumers the exact same form factor. What will be the selling point? More battery life? As a 6 Plus user I don't want more battery, I want a thinner iPhone. I realize battery is a bigger issue with the 4.7" models.

Also if these dimensions prove to be true then the redesign really is happening in 2017. Absolutely no way Apple keeps this identical form factor for 2 more years.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So according to this rumour they are NOT going to make the iPhone thinner but they ARE going to drop the headphone jack...
And no doubt keep the better camera for the bigger model again, yet they just announced lower iPhone sales by 10 Million!

That's it Apple, keep ruining your device and causing fragmentation with your devices, I'm sure those sales will pick up again, Not!

Reactions: JackANSI

_mdavenport

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
California, USA
Not thinner? Jony needs a hug ASAP.

jony-ive-8.jpg

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Sick of this new iPhone every year for the sake of it.

Lets just release a new iPhone every 2 years, and make it a worthwhile upgrade. In the meantime, they can focus on optimising software and enhancing features.

Technically speaking, we should get a new iPhone every 2 years already. The S is nothing else than a small bump in specs because technology allows it. Here we're going to a 2.5 year cycle.

Reactions: MH01

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
They've released 3 devices this year (iphone SE, 9.7" iPad Pro, 2016 rMB) with a headphone jack. And there is still a decent possibility that they will release MBPs at or around WWDC with a headphone jack (since I assume Apple is waiting for the release of the iPhone 7 to bring about this change in audio interface - or why not do it already). That is going to be really weird. You could easily have someone buy a macbook from this year and buy an iPhone 7 later this year and have to use an adapter or completely different headphones for each device which seems...inelegant.

I think their best course of action is to push wireless headphones ONLY for the iphone 7 and DO NOT come out with a lightening capable set of headphones. Instead invest heavily in a very small adapter for regular 3.5mm headphones so they can be used with the iphone 7's lightening port. Trying to introduce a NEW headphone lightening interface (that is basically Apple only, and introduces a lot of fragmentation for their product line) seems silly. Don't try to reinvent headphones. Just push wireless for the iphone 7 and give people a really good adapter (for regular headphones) if they need it.

Full disclosure: I could care less about headphone jacks in the iphone 7 but I really, really don't want the 3.5mm headphone jack removed from macbooks/ipads. I will probably always be cross platform (I use an android phone, I'm sure many others have an iphone but also use a PC). In that scenario moving to a new audio interface ONLY for apple devices would really suck.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Wonder how many people will fall for the DSLR quality camera if this is true. Smart person would invest that money in a DSLR and really notice the difference.

Other manufacturers will be offering these cameras and new designs....shock horror, innovation. If this is true, Samsung will be the winner here, with the S7 edge already a great phone. Apple will learn how many die hard fans they have.

I keep wondering if the current exec team have just got plain lazy and are planning thier retirement. They are just riding this out.

aolbites

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Nantucket!! Can you not read?!?
I'm not giving up my headphone jack and not getting thinness in return, at least. Also, wtf, why do we still have a lightning connector? Why not a wireless charging/data connection that retains water resistance as long as we're doing away with holes on the phone. Maybe one speaker that goes along the bottom and that's it as far as holes go.

Reactions: JackANSI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.