iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black Now Widely Available at U.S. Apple Stores

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Since launching nearly one month ago, the iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black has been challenging to find at Apple Stores in the United States -- until today, that is. A spot check of iStockNow reveals the popular model is now at least temporarily available at a number of Apple's retail locations nationwide.

[​IMG]
    Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus stock as of October 14 at 11:45 a.m. Pacific Time

Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus models are currently in stock at a number of Apple Stores in several states, including major cities such as Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, and San Francisco, at the time of publication. Availability varies based on carrier, color, and storage capacity.

iStockNow uses Google Maps to visualize the real-time status of iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus availability at Apple Stores in the United States and other countries, likely based on Apple's reservation system backend. Nevertheless, placing an online reservation or calling your local store ahead of time is highly recommended.

Apple Stores with Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus availability will display a green marker upon setting search filters for that model. Clicking on an individual marker opens a window with an expanded model-by-model breakdown of availability, and the time that stock was last updated at that location.

[​IMG]

Jet Black iPhones have faced a global shortage as the new high-gloss finish has proven challenging to manufacture. The models suffer from a low casing production yield rate of 60-70%, meaning that 30-40% of units do not pass Apple's quality standards and must be reworked, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple says the high-gloss Jet Black finish is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process.

When pre-orders began on September 9, shipping estimates for Jet Black models quickly slipped to November, but some iPhone 7 Plus models in the new color shipped sooner than expected. Apple's current shipping estimate for Jet Black models is 6-8 weeks for both carrier-locked and newly released SIM-free models.

While in-store stock is available in the U.S. at the time this article was published, supplies will likely be depleted very quickly.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black Now Widely Available at U.S. Apple Stores

2. andrewpturko macrumors regular

andrewpturko

Waiting for the November preorders to chime in in 3,2....

3. randymac09 macrumors regular

Cue the "And I still haven't received mine I ordered on Day 1 yet" comments.

4. cicalinarrot macrumors regular

cicalinarrot

Was it another planned shortage? Only common sense will tell us.

5. baller1308 macrumors 65816

Was just at the store and saw a few people buying them. 7 Plus stock overall is still lacking though.

6. djphat2000 macrumors regular

Got mine about 3 weeks earlier than they stated at time of order. :) Looks great, even thought it went straight into a case!

7. Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

"The models suffer from a low casing production yield rate of 60-70%, meaning that 30-40% of units do not pass Apple's quality standards and must be retooled, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo."

Retooled? I'm not sure that a casing defect can be reworked. Seems more likely they will be scrapped (melted Do and used for new aluminum billets.)

8. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

"Another"?

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Three of my stores had Jet Black in stock for the last week or so. Certain locations must constrained more than others.

10. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I wanted to exchange my matte black 7 plus for the jet black, but it's been 3 weeks since I bought it. Would they make an exception if there were supply restraints?

11. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

A cousin showed me their black iPhone, already scratched like no one's business. Many videos I've seen online are the same. Total poor durability.

12. ysr macrumors member

13. lcseds macrumors 6502a

It's been over a month and there are so few plus units to be found. But this is the new Apple. Start preorders with little to no inventory and then make your loyal customer wait 6-8 weeks. Same thing when I purchased my 6 Plus. About 7 weeks or so before I got it. They must enjoy doing this or something. I have such a hard time believing Captain Logistics (Tim) can't get product out in a timely fashion. If Jet Black is hard to manufacture, okay. Where is the rest of the 7 plus line? It really is a joke, but the joke is on the customers. In theory, people may be halfway to a iphone refresh before getting one.

14. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

I just can't do it. Just way to much of a fingerprint magnet. I run my phones bareback....mostly.

15. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

16. citysnaps, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

citysnaps macrumors 601

No, evidence and links will, if you believe that it's happening. Common sense will tell most that's a stupid belief. The other's, well, keep on making stuff up...

17. RickeshPatel, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

RickeshPatel macrumors member

I think the scratching is like the old iPods that had the stainless steel backing. They scratched easily but I guess Apple liked having the shiny back. In most cases until it gets scratched up to the point where it begins to dull if you don't use a protective cover.

18. Manzzle macrumors 6502

Manzzle

19. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Great to see them appearing in stores but also frustrating for those that ordered straight away and are in a way taken for granted , as can wait, though are probably the most loyal customers .

Either way , hope everyone can get what they want before November .
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2016 ---
    Was that the jet black or matte? I'd assume the matte is as scratch resistant as the space grey

20. agsystems macrumors 6502a

Really....I don't know of any product (besides food and medicine) that people must have the same day its released.

21. themick4u macrumors 6502

themick4u

LOL! I'm still at ships in 5 weeks and i was an early AM pre-order!

22. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I'm still waiting for the sales numbers to see if Apple has been blowing smoke up everyone's ass this entire time, lol.

23. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Did you buy outright? The carriers give 14 days until the contract is sealed, but if it's outright, they will probably swap if you ask nicely. (Used to work there)

24. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Showbiz Gossip: The iPhone 7 Jet Black has been seen with Hugh No-Jackman :cool:

25. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

There is merit for this argument. I am not saying it is true, but certainly within the realms of possibility.

For those saying they would sell more if they could, consider the demand and price effect. If demand outstrips supply, the phone appears to be popular and justifies, in the consumer's eye, a higher price. Apple foregoes short-term profit for longer term sales. People who desperately want the phone will wait, there is after all no real alternative to iOS. Somebody purchasing a £700 phone has likely made their mind up on iOS or Android. So they will wait.

This is a classic marketing tool, it's the same tactic employed at supermarkets. By telling a customer they are limited to 'X' per person, the customer is proven to buy more of that product due to some perceived higher demand. Apple is king at marketing. They play this game to a tee. It's not bad, but to be unwise to it is foolish.

Quick google found this paper:

http://thescipub.com/PDF/jmssp.2012.154.156.pdf

"We consider a monopolist who manipulates the market by artificially creating shortages that result in an increase in current price that, in turn, boosts demand for the product in subsequent periods"

Obviously, in the current scenario price isn't raised but justified. Let's not forget, Tim Cook is very savvy at managing the supply chain.