Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I think the jet black is very nice... but also looks like an iPhone 3G*

It's bascially an option for the city boy who keeps his phone in his inside Jacket pocket... and that's about it. Anyone else it's a scratch magnet.

*Boring sidenote: There was a lot of press saying the 7 was the 7th Major non S iPhone release... when there was no iPhone 2.

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
Who knows....personally I think they went pro active and hopefully addressed production and QC issues...

Think of it this way. If Willy Wonka gave away 500 tickets, there wouldn't have been anywhere near the demand for those famed tickets.

Similarly, the fact you couldn't walk into an Apple Store made joe public think this phone is really popular therefore it must be good.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Does this mean that the iPhone 7 is selling badly?

Let's hope not, but one wonders.

Well, I guess it depends if you consider manufacturing and delivering to customers 800K+ iPhone 7 units everyday since launch as "selling badly."

In comparison, the Note 7 sold 2.5M units in the two week period before the fire issue and recall came to light.

The math is easy...

Reactions: saba01

Apple2007

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Goshen, CT
and yet no new macs

November may be your month!
[doublepost=1476482983][/doublepost]
It's been over a month and there are so few plus units to be found. But this is the new Apple. Start preorders with little to no inventory and then make your loyal customer wait 6-8 weeks. Same thing when I purchased my 6 Plus. About 7 weeks or so before I got it. They must enjoy doing this or something. I have such a hard time believing Captain Logistics (Tim) can't get product out in a timely fashion. If Jet Black is hard to manufacture, okay. Where is the rest of the 7 plus line? It really is a joke, but the joke is on the customers. In theory, people may be halfway to a iphone refresh before getting one.

"Captain Logistics". Love it!

Jonnyboy6

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016

Since launching nearly one month ago, the iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black has been challenging to find at Apple Stores in the United States -- until today, that is. A spot check of iStockNow reveals the popular model is now at least temporarily available at a number of Apple's retail locations nationwide.

istocknow-oct-14.jpg

Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus stock as of October 14 at 11:45 a.m. Pacific Time

Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus models are currently in stock at a number of Apple Stores in several states, including major cities such as Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, and San Francisco, at the time of publication. Availability varies based on carrier, color, and storage capacity.

iStockNow uses Google Maps to visualize the real-time status of iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus availability at Apple Stores in the United States and other countries, likely based on Apple's reservation system backend. Nevertheless, placing an online reservation or calling your local store ahead of time is highly recommended.

Apple Stores with Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus availability will display a green marker upon setting search filters for that model. Clicking on an individual marker opens a window with an expanded model-by-model breakdown of availability, and the time that stock was last updated at that location.

jet-black-philadelphia.jpg

Jet Black iPhones have faced a global shortage as the new high-gloss finish has proven challenging to manufacture. The models suffer from a low casing production yield rate of 60-70%, meaning that 30-40% of units do not pass Apple's quality standards and must be reworked, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple says the high-gloss Jet Black finish is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process.

When pre-orders began on September 9, shipping estimates for Jet Black models quickly slipped to November, but some iPhone 7 Plus models in the new color shipped sooner than expected. Apple's current shipping estimate for Jet Black models is 6-8 weeks for both carrier-locked and newly released SIM-free models.

While in-store stock is available in the U.S. at the time this article was published, supplies will likely be depleted very quickly.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black Now Widely Available at U.S. Apple Stores
The map highlights complete bias towards domestic US/ Canada market, more chance of finding Nemo in Europe...

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I have been checking availability of a JB Plus in Charlotte for weeks and have never seen it available.

This map says it's available so I checked the app again and still nothing. Checked via the website and still nothing.

Looks like this tracker is showing availability for phones with the iPhone Upgrade Program which I'm not in and can't qualify for, credit-wise. So I suppose if you can do the IUP you're in good shape.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX

Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus models are currently in stock at a number of Apple Stores in several states, including major cities such as Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, and San Francisco, at the time of publication. Availability varies based on carrier, color, and storage capacity.

I'd be really interested to know how much Jet Black iPhone availability varies based on color.

Reactions: Apple2007

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Im in CO and was able to reserve and swap out my Silver 128GB Verizon for a Matte Black 256GB past the 14 day return policy since I asked nicely :) . However I purchased mine outright tho.. Im sure theyll do it if you dont roll in bossing the apple store peeps around. I saw someone do that and they said no to the same request I had when I asked nicely. The power of a nice person goes a long way
[doublepost=1476479245][/doublepost]

Exactly! Thats what a majority of macrumors forum people did. I did as well. Reserve one locally.. Cancel preorder atleast 1 hour before your reservation for pickup. Once you arrive it should of cleared the carrier preorder system and you can use NEXT.. Verizon payment option... IUP and so on
[doublepost=1476479295][/doublepost]

What size did you get?

I went 128GB. I can barely fill my 6S 64GB...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was told mine was the only one they got in the entire store when I picked it up during my scheduled time on launch day evening. Jet Black is best black. It really is a thing of beauty.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Seems like iphone 2017 rumors got to them.
[doublepost=1476487894][/doublepost]
A cousin showed me their black iPhone, already scratched like no one's business. Many videos I've seen online are the same. Total poor durability.
Jet black or that matte black?

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
No, evidence and links will, if you believe that it's happening. Common sense will tell most that's a stupid belief. The other's, well, keep on making stuff up...
Stupid? Companies has certainly done it a lot before so... why stupid? Because you say so? Apple can never be proven doing it or not, it's some analysts hypothesis against other analysts and, of course, Apple's word. Common sense thing was a provocation (just to fit the joke, sorry), it's not obvious that Apple does it and I'm not sure but it's certainly not a stupid idea.

AJ5790

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Phoenix
I wanted to exchange my matte black 7 plus for the jet black, but it's been 3 weeks since I bought it. Would they make an exception if there were supply restraints?
Always worth asking
[doublepost=1476488922][/doublepost]
I guess with Apple if you want something in that new color etc. it pays to wait. Unfortunately, it sucks for those who paid and are still waiting for theirs and also tricky for folks on the IUP. I guess if I get that lovin' feeling again I will definitely wait it out the 2-3 months until stock appears.
Never accept a preorder date in November. Just wait and you'll get one in October. Happened for me 2 years in a row.

AJ5790

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Phoenix
Well, usually Apple gives a two week announcement window for their events. At this point we are at the middle of October and no news of anything. It doesn't look good. That's very lame. I need a MBP, 5K display and a Mac Mini. That's a good $$$ for Apple. Come get it., Announce something damn it! :mad:
Don't you want what they announce to be ready?
[doublepost=1476489637][/doublepost]
I don't think we'll be seeing next year's iPhone 8 in jet black.
You're wrong.:)

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
I love the look/feel of my JetBlack 128…but WOW does it scratch easily.

Not the back, mind you, but the damn screen. Amazing how many little "micro scratches" are on the glass already, after a couple weeks. And I've only put it in my pocket, and on tables. Amazing.

First time I went naked (without a screen protector) and I feel like a fool.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Cancelled my month old 128gb matte black VZW preorder dated to ship 11/9 and purchased the 256gb plus JB at the store today in Boulder. Today was a good day.

Reactions: Zaned303

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Stupid? Companies has certainly done it a lot before so... why stupid? Because you say so? Apple can never be proven doing it or not, it's some analysts hypothesis against other analysts and, of course, Apple's word. Common sense thing was a provocation (just to fit the joke, sorry), it's not obvious that Apple does it and I'm not sure but it's certainly not a stupid idea.
I want an iPhone 7 Plus in jet black but I'm not paying 969$+tax upfront to wait for 8 weeks to get the phone in hand. I will buy one when I can get one in store the same day or shipped to me the next. Longer that takes, the more likely I am to wait another year. Explain how artificially restricting supply could possibly benefit Apple in that situation. Sounds kind of like a stupid idea

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.