Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
dda899c72d4f92d4fdc6a4619459f4e0.jpg

d48c2da26e8ca6b1226e49c3620ce13d.jpg

fotuwe

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
Thanks for that thread... I am not seeing the iphone 7 / 7 plus as a game changer honestly

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
hey would anybody know if the 7 Plus would help me take better pictures in a classroom?

my professors are too lazy to print stuff, so they just put the assignments on the screen and tells us to take pictures. but my photos always looks blurry/fuzzy on my 6s (my assigned seat is towards the back of the room)
Maybe with the zoom feature but you can't bet on it.

Reactions: jgelin

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Portrait mode on the 7 Plus is an absolute game changer, no question. I can't believe how good it is, - and more importantly how good it is in just the first beta.
[doublepost=1474879132][/doublepost]
You can use third party apps to edit photos with the same effect. People have been doing this for years.

Yeah yeah, we know. Just like Skype did video calling for years before FaceTime, right? The key is... how easy is it to do with that third-party app? Could I get my father to make it work, and integrate into his life well? I can tell you the answer: NOPE. However, getting it to work THIS way is simple as heck, and it works.

greeley

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Maybe with the zoom feature but you can't bet on it.

well zooming is the problem really, by the time i zoom enough to get the text from the projector its all blurry. just not sure the 7 plus's zoom is much better or not.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
well zooming is the problem really, by the time i zoom enough to get the text from the projector its all blurry. just not sure the 7 plus's zoom is much better or not.
It is because the 6S zoom is cropping but the 2x zoom on 7 is real zoom.

jimmyjoy

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Just downloading the beta now so I can test the portrait mode but had some pretty decent sunlight in the garden yesterday so took a few snaps. They would have been better had the sun been a little lower but as I'm in England you have to grab the sun while you can!

All photos taken with the standard lens apart from the close up of the dog which was taken with the 2x lens.

baby1.jpg
dog1.jpg
dog2.jpg
random1.jpg
random2.jpg
random3.jpg

mjjferreira

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Here's a few "spur of the moment pictures". Snapped a few in low lighting at a concert last night. Nothing special just a point and shoot. Wanted to test in different low lighting situations.
View attachment 659203 View attachment 659204 View attachment 659205 View attachment 659208 View attachment 659209 View attachment 659214
View attachment 659216
View attachment 659218
View attachment 659219
View attachment 659220

Photos taken indoors sith poor light contitions will be using 2x optical and not the second lens (2x optical zoom).

Just make the test. Enable the 2x camera lens and then cover the lens (the 2x one) with your finger. You will see that the second camera is not being used, meanwhile the 2x digital zoom from the main camera is.

Apple should present in the screen something that would indicate that the 2x is really optical and not digital.

mjjferreira

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Our cat Hamish, in low light with 7+ 2x
View attachment 659334
[doublepost=1474852003][/doublepost] View attachment 659336

Photos taken indoors sith poor light contitions will be using 2x optical and not the second lens (2x optical zoom).

Just make the test. Enable the 2x camera lens and then cover the lens (the 2x one) with your finger. You will see that the second camera is not being used, meanwhile the 2x digital zoom from the main camera is.

Apple should present in the screen something that would indicate that the 2x is really optical and not digital.

I bet the cat 2x zoom is digital.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Still waiting on my 7 Plus but at least these photos are making it worse!

Seriously. I'm blown away with the quality of images coming off of those cameras. I come from a film background and have been shooting digital since the late 90s. The idea that images this good would come out of a camera barely bigger than a pencil eraser is mind boggling. I mean, it isn't going to replace my Fuji and Nikon gear but it sure as heck will mean that I never buy another point and shoot. These images put what the 6s Plus is capable of to shame.

I don't have anything near your background but switched my order to the 7 Plus when I realized I may be able to leave my "real" cameras at home a significant portion of the time. I hope it actually pans out that way.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Is this a replacement for your fast prime lens? Not at all. Is this a good alternative for people who don't even know what a fast prime is? Absolutely! Gonna have lots of fun with this camera and can't wait to see what other developers do with the technology.

Someone said on here this camera isn't a game changer. I disagree 1000%. While each separate lens itself doesn't produce game changing images (very similar to what the 6 produces), the combination of the two lenses and tech behind them are absolutely game changing.

Attachments

• IMG_7278.JPG
    IMG_7278.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 945

_mynameislee

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Derby, England
Spent a lot of time over the last year using the iPhone 6s Plus as my main camera...was worried I wouldn't see much of a difference in the 7 Plus, but I've got to say I'm impressed. Haven't used the 56mm Portrait lens that much, but once iOS 10.1 drops with Portrait Mode I'm sure I'll get into it a bit more.

Attached is one of the first shots I posted on Instagram from the 7 Plus, taken on launch day (well, that evening).

IMG_0243.JPG

Leon88

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Spent a lot of time over the last year using the iPhone 6s Plus as my main camera...was worried I wouldn't see much of a difference in the 7 Plus, but I've got to say I'm impressed. Haven't used the 56mm Portrait lens that much, but once iOS 10.1 drops with Portrait Mode I'm sure I'll get into it a bit more.

Attached is one of the first shots I posted on Instagram from the 7 Plus, taken on launch day (well, that evening).

View attachment 659497
Absolutely breathtaking photo. I just realized i've been following you on Instagram too! Was that picture captured in raw or jpeg?

_mynameislee

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Derby, England
Absolutely breathtaking photo. I just realized i've been following you on Instagram too! Was that picture captured in raw or jpeg?

:) Thanks! JPEG, ran through VSCO...a bit nervous about jumping to RAW, not sure why. It'd help if VSCO were to support it, they're my app of editing app of choice. Still use the native Camera app to capture images though.

Reactions: Leon88

Leon88

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
:) Thanks! JPEG, ran through VSCO...a bit nervous about jumping to RAW, not sure why. It'd help if VSCO were to support it, they're my app of editing app of choice. Still use the native Camera app to capture images though.
I love VSCO, its my go to app for editing photos on the go, word is that they're working on supporting raw editing- should open up a lot more opportunities!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.