Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
7 plus this year its really hard to find a decent one. All ive seen bunch of them and all had yellowe bottom darker right side. Good luck

This couldn't be more true. Previous to the iPhone 7, I have never had a problem with the screen. With the iPhone 7 and 7+, I've been through about ten of them and all of them have this problem to varying degrees.

Reactions: Aguila05

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
This couldn't be more true. Previous to the iPhone 7, I have never had a problem with the screen. With the iPhone 7 and 7+, I've been through about ten of them and all of them have this problem to varying degrees.

opposite story here. Have always had dark patches on previous phones however this is the first time I have never had any issues.

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
The bottom part of my screen is a bit dark or very slightly yellow its annoying when they keyboard is or anything white is displayed at the bottom, but I could be stuck with worse, maybe ill have it replaced a few months down the road.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Here is what the screen looks like on my just purchased JB 7 Plus (built last week of November 2016). It's actually pretty good. It has a darker area at the top right, but not too noticeable. I also include enhanced photos that show the light pattern of the screen.

i-KJgQbTW-XL.jpg

i-fHwvsKz-XL.jpg

i-VtZqvZN-XL.jpg

And just for reference, here is what my now 2 year old 6 Plus looks like...

i-vrMjjwJ-XL.jpg

i-j9nRLR9-XL.jpg

i-67j26KB-XL.jpg

[doublepost=1487788290][/doublepost]And here they are side by side. Again, one normal photo and one "enhanced" to show the lighting pattern.

iPhone 7 Plus on left, iPhone 6 Plus on right:

i-MPhnrcf-XL.jpg

i-hcfwSkJ-XL.jpg

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
After looking at the images I can not see anything that make me risk trading it for another, too many things out there can be worst. It is your phone and if it really bothers you and you feel lucky . . . . .

Can not wait till Apple moves away from the current screen tech so we will not have problems like this.

If it were my phone I would keep it.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
After looking at the images I can not see anything that make me risk trading it for another, too many things out there can be worst. It is your phone and if it really bothers you and you feel lucky . . . . .

Can not wait till Apple moves away from the current screen tech so we will not have problems like this.

If it were my phone I would keep it.

Agreed. I've decided to keep my new iPhone as the screen is not that bad in normal usage. I can tell the top right corner is ever so slightly darker but I can live with it. Especially since everything else on the phone is working very well.

Even my 75 inch TV has uniformity issues but I've come to expect and accept this with the current technology. Barring any really glaring issues of course.

Droidzoid

Suspended
Mar 30, 2014
Non plus model here and the same thing. Slightly cooler right edge. Any chance it improves?

Droidzoid

Suspended
Mar 30, 2014
The best way to test this is comparing the grey edges of the search field in settings. My left edge is warm and right edge is cooler.

Attachments

• ios-10-settings-hardware-keyboard.png
    ios-10-settings-hardware-keyboard.png
    73 KB · Views: 263

Droidzoid

Suspended
Mar 30, 2014
Well, you pmd me with this same question and I gave you a detailed response, but I heard crickets from you. So I guess I could ask you the same thing?

Oops sorry, mate. I typed out a response but I dont know what happened. Check now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ah, sorry. I could have been nicer. Just not in the best mood over having to return my 7 plus.

You returned it again? I'm assuming due to the Haptic home button issue this time? (Being you stated the display was perfect.)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
You returned it again? I'm assuming due to the Haptic home button issue this time? (Being you stated the display was perfect.)
This is my first time returning this phone. And yes, not paying $815 for a faulty Taptic Engine and clicking screen after less than one month. I was willing to try tightening the screws to solve the screen clicking, but what's the point of bothering with a faulty Taptic Engine that seems to be getting worse when Apple would probably just replace my phone if I bought it to them (thereby taking away the perfect screen I went through a number of phones to get). Too much hassle. I'm done trying to find a good iPhone until the 8 comes out with its new design, then I'll give that a chance.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
No replies?
Hey man. From my experience of going through I think it was 7 iphone 6's because of display problems let me tell you this.

There is no perfect screen!

I saw it all. Yellow corners, splotches, dark corners, unevenly lit areas, color temperature shift from left to right as you describe, (warm to cool) and dust stuck under the screen you name it.

I cringed everyone I got a replacement and there was a different usually worse problem until finally I got one that was almost perfectly lit and color was even but it had a speck of dust up in the corner. Learned to live with it! My wife still gives me crap about returning so many phones. Lesson learned that apples QC in their screens isn't very good and it's just a fact that it is hard to produce a perfect LCD with today's current tech and manufacturing on such a large scale.

I have 1 iPhone 7. It isn't perfect and the upper half is slightly dimmer than the lower half and at the bottom there is a slighltly brighter line across the very bottom where the LED's are positioned. The color is even though. No warm to cool from left to right though. That would drive me nuts. It also looks to have a reddish tint on whites in the upper left quad. But I have kept this one in fear of getting one with something worse! Lesson learned from experience!

As for you I'd say don't expect your next replacement to be perfect if you do go that route! Good luck!

Q-Collective

Suspended
May 12, 2017
Noticed this on my phone as well.
[doublepost=1494839112][/doublepost]
Here is what the screen looks like on my just purchased JB 7 Plus (built last week of November 2016). It's actually pretty good. It has a darker area at the top right, but not too noticeable. I also include enhanced photos that show the light pattern of the screen.

i-KJgQbTW-XL.jpg

i-fHwvsKz-XL.jpg

i-VtZqvZN-XL.jpg

i-vrMjjwJ-XL.jpg

i-j9nRLR9-XL.jpg

i-67j26KB-XL.jpg

[doublepost=1487788290][/doublepost]And here they are side by side. Again, one normal photo and one "enhanced" to show the lighting pattern.

i-MPhnrcf-XL.jpg

i-hcfwSkJ-XL.jpg

Does it have a slightly dirty/yellowish bottom left corner as well?
[doublepost=1494839175][/doublepost]

i-KJgQbTW-XL.jpg

i-fHwvsKz-XL.jpg

i-VtZqvZN-XL.jpg

i-vrMjjwJ-XL.jpg

i-j9nRLR9-XL.jpg

i-67j26KB-XL.jpg

i-MPhnrcf-XL.jpg

i-hcfwSkJ-XL.jpg

Does it have a bottom left yellowish/warm?

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
I'm so angry I'm the same my 7 plus has been replaced 5 times now and each one is eaither way to warm colour yellow tint or top right is much darker backlight I've had enough of changing then this is a £920 phone and I don't like looking at this screen I know some ppl just live with it but for this price it should be perfect why is every phone in apple stores perfect I'm always looking at the top right darker backlit and it bothers me so much but can't just keep replacing them as they all seem to be bad

Rahul Badhe

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
I bought 7plus silver on 24th oct 2017. I have uneven shadow or light at bottom edge of display. It is visible under low brightness and light color background like white grey. What should i do?

Aguila05

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Hmmmmmmmm...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-there-even-display-on-iphone7.2004586/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/here-we-go-again-iphone-7-terrible-screen-quality.2008196/

Yup more and more people are noticing these "picture perfect" screens from apple.

You two options.

1. Learn to live with it.

2. Start returning phones until you can find one you can live with. But it could be a lengthy process that involves multiple replacements (getting one worse or different/same problem as last one) and you still end up without your problem fully solved. Take it from me I went through 8. (Cough) yes 8 iPhone 6's till I finally gave up. I had screen uniformity problems on all of them. Some worse than others. And some with different defects. Clicking lose screens, buttons, cameras, yellowing dark patches on the screen you name it. The QC checks on the last 3 years of these phones is lower since they make so many of them and the majority of people don't care or notice some things.

My first and only JB 7 has a pinkish tinge in the upper left side and a dimmer yellowish tinge in the bottom that you can see on white screens. But based off of experience I think I'm just going to live with this one!!!! The battery life is awesome and I hear no hissing and everything else seems to work ok. But then gain every time I use it my eyes are drawn to the un-even parts of the screen and I have to remind myself that nothing is perfect and it's very hard to find an edge lit LCD with perfect uniformity.

Hope this helps and I hope we get OLED next year!! :D
Do you think that OLED is actually the answer? You don't mind the burn in risks and blueshift? I'm asking because I was about to switch to the Galaxy S8, until I found out about those legit issues. I'm just interested.
[doublepost=1515436556][/doublepost]I had the same problem with my iPhone 6s and it was the only reason that pushed me to get an iPhone 8 Plus. I returned my first iPhone 8 Plus since half of the screen was fairly darker than the other as well. I could not simply not pay attention to it. Anyway, the iPhone that I currently have has the best uniformity I have seen on any of my past iPhones. However, right at the bottom of the screen, I can see a greish line that is more visible under certain angles. If I keep on staring at it I'm probably goonna go insane. Anyway, I think this is more of an issue with LCD's which is kind of sad, because I don't feel like I'm ready to deal with the problematic OLED. No burn in for me, that's for sure.

Aguila05

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Agreed. I've decided to keep my new iPhone as the screen is not that bad in normal usage. I can tell the top right corner is ever so slightly darker but I can live with it. Especially since everything else on the phone is working very well.

Even my 75 inch TV has uniformity issues but I've come to expect and accept this with the current technology. Barring any really glaring issues of course.

I know. I have the same issue with the iPhone 8 Plus, I've exchanged it twice for the same problem, but I think I will keep the current one. These days, when I stare at any LCD screen, I can easily find the same issues. I feel like it's driving me insane. So, I just think I will learn to live with it.

Reactions: seadragon

faryssca

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
Something that bothers me on my iPhone 7 Plus is that the screen is a little bit darker (more of a gray color) on the edges of the screen, specially 1cm of the right section of the screen. It looks like the light is uneven or it has a drop shadow on it. Its not much, but my eyes can see this and its a bit annoying! This problem is most visible when im in the main setting section or when reading full texts that covers the entire width of screen in Safari Anyone else noticed this? Im using 50% brightness and nightshift is always off.
[doublepost=1530015737][/doublepost]hi. i have the same problem right now. i would like to know how did you fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.