Carrier iPhone 7 Red cosmetic problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NIGHTMARE^, Jul 16, 2017.

1. NIGHTMARE^ macrumors regular

I have purchased iphone 7 red color a month ago and from day first its in transparent cover now from charging side color coming off. When I talk to apple care they said no you did intentionally and deny the support. Really its shock for me I'm using iphone from 3G and they are supporting like this and
    I gifted the hand set to my fiance. Now I'm think to file case in consumer forum. What you guys suggested.

Attached Files:

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The red anodized finish is susceptible to damage. Just the case can cause scuffing and damage. This looks like the finish just flaked off and should be covered under warranty.

3. NIGHTMARE^, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

NIGHTMARE^ thread starter macrumors regular

Well they are saying wear & tear policy but there is nothing like that not single scratch or dent on the phone. seriously stay away from red colour

4. fartnugget213 macrumors member

My red has held up pretty well.

Are you using it without a case?

I don't use my phone unless it has a case and tempered glass, so I cannot relate to cosmetic damage at all.

5. NIGHTMARE^ thread starter macrumors regular

Its with transparent cover from day one and with tempered glass. Its manufacturing fault.

6. Moneoa macrumors member

Moneoa

Cosmetic damage isn’t covered because there is nothing wrong with the function of the phone. “I don’t like how it looks” isn’t a returnable issue.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

But that may not be the situation here. If the OP has only had the phone for a month and it's chipping near the grill area on the bottom of the iPhone, it could be due to the anodization process not fully curing at the appropriate temperature or a bad batch was produced. Cases can be a culprit, but it's not often that's the root of the issue.

There are threads discussing similar issues in the exact area as this iPhone.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...complain-about-chipped-peeling-paint.2032064/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-plus-aluminium-chipping.1930678/

8. NIGHTMARE^ thread starter macrumors regular

I know what is damage mean but my case is different. its coming automatically then what I suppose to do and its manufacturing defect.

9. gsxr1000, Jul 16, 2017

gsxr1000 macrumors member

gsxr1000

Damn that sucks. I was so close to pulling the trigger on a red but didn't in fear of this and from seeing the other issues apple is having with the black phone. Ended up going white. But I don't think it's a case problem it's a mfg problem with the anodizing process. I think I posted before I bought my 7+ on what everyone thought about this issue which helped me make my final decision on the white.

10. NIGHTMARE^, Jul 16, 2017

NIGHTMARE^ thread starter macrumors regular

Well shame on the apple who denying to provide the support its just two month old and hardly used. Really better to buy Chinese phones.

11. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

You know, I think some of these clear cases have a chemical or composition that can be making these issues arise. Only reason why I say that is due to the amount of people I read with this issue who have said they are "Just using a clear case".

Edit: What also makes me think this is what type of chemicals/coating do they use to keep the case from yellowing, clouding up, etc?

12. Moneoa macrumors member

Moneoa

eBay special for 99 cents?

13. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Yeah probably. Whatever they use to keep it from yellowing, clouding up, etc might be really bad for anodized aluminum.

14. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

I honestly think the red iPhones are rushed. I've seen too many issues with red iPhones.

15. Relentless Power, Jul 16, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

Possible? Maybe. But unlikely from your quote. Because the plastic case surrounds the entire aluminum casing. If you observe the pictures, the chipping/flaking is near the bottom of the grill area only. If the plastic case was causing a reaction from the chemical composition from the anodization, there will be more likely of the phone experiencing chipping/flaking around the other corners or edges as well on the iPhone, not just the grill area.

Furthermore, there have been reports of iPhones experiencing chipping/flaking without the use of a case as well with the two links I posted.

The likeliness of the issue is if the aluminum is not cured at the appropriate temperature or not long enough, flaking/chipping is the end result. Because it's painted, it requires curing before it's finally ready for assembly.

Anecdotally, it seems some "Product Red" iPhones are experiencing similar issues. Speculation is because the popularity of the color, perhaps the product was "Rushed" during production, which could be the result of the casing issues with chipping.

16. mjschabow macrumors 65816

I'd say keep chipping away (no pun intended) at Apple. If I remember correctly, they replaced some matte black phones that had the same issue.

17. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

It wasn't wide spread. But it was reported there was a batch of Matte Black users seeing similar effects like this Product Red iPhone.

Macrumors had an article earlier in the year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/10/matte-black-iphone-7-chipping/amp/

18. mjschabow macrumors 65816

I guess the good news is that if this happens to me, I'm using my upgrade for the iPhone 8 in a few months. Lol

19. NIGHTMARE^ thread starter macrumors regular

But apple senior adviser saying no and even I tweet to apple support they said they can't do anything. Seriously I have year old iphone there is nothing like that why not they accept that its manufacturing fault no the user really their should be a legal suits.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You really do not want to start legal action against Apple.

21. NIGHTMARE^ thread starter macrumors regular

Then what we suppose to do if customer is genuinely telling the truth and they don't want to accept the knowledge the issue then What I suppose to do

22. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You have little choice. Maybe escalate it to Apple but I am telling you that you do not want to legally engage Apple for something like this.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    To me it seems like the red finish is not very durable.

23. NIGHTMARE^ thread starter macrumors regular

If Apple senior adviser rejected by saying this is cosmetic problem and our policy don't allow to change it even the device is two months old then what options I have left.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You do not have any viable options except to live with the phone or sell it and get another.

25. NIGHTMARE^ thread starter macrumors regular

You don't think this wrong someone paid such amount and gifted someone, how other person will feel using colorised phone. Fine no problem I still believe legal system I didn't done anything wrong why should I worry about.

If lot of people are reporting this issue then whose fault is this, I'm also big fan of Apple, I used iphone 3G till now but once the trust is broken then it very hard to build up