iPhone 7 Series Said to Have 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB Storage Options

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Following a recent report claiming the iPhone 7 will ship with at least 32GB base storage, with Apple dropping the infamous 16GB model, research firm TrendForce adds that the mid-tier 64GB storage option may be replaced with 128GB alongside a new 256GB version at the high end of the lineup.
    The new storage options would henceforth be 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB, although the report does not make it entirely clear if the 256GB version will be exclusive to the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus or also available for the 4.7-inch model. The current storage options for both the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus include 16GB, 64GB, and 128GB.

Earlier this year, Chinese website MyDrivers said the iPhone 7 Plus may exclusively feature 256GB storage and a 12.7 percent larger 3,100 mAh battery. In terms of credibility, the website did accurately report on the iPhone SE's 1,624 mAh battery and 2GB of RAM before Apple launched the 4-inch smartphone.

The remainder of the report corroborates other well-known rumors, including a dual-lens camera and 3GB of LPDDR4 RAM being exclusive to the 5.5-inch model. The 4.7-inch model is expected to retain a single-lens camera and 2GB of RAM. No major display upgrades are expected until Apple switches to OLED in 2017.

Recent rumors suggest the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will share a design similar to the iPhone 6s series, sans a 3.5mm headphone jack, with more significant changes coming to the 2017 iPhone. This year's new features could include a faster A10 chip, waterproofing, repositioned antenna bands, faster LTE and Wi-Fi chips, and more.

Update: TrendForce has clarified for MacRumors that the 256 GB high-end capacity is only confirmed for the iPhone 7 Plus model. The storage capacity for the smaller iPhone 7 is yet to be determined.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Series Said to Have 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB Storage Options

2. gaximus macrumors 6502a

I just want the non-plus size to have the 2 cameras, as long as it doesn't look like the awful stamped steel that we've seen

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

4. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This is the right decision for consumers, however I'm not sure if it is when it comes to Apple's bottom line. The 16 GB version pretty much forces people to move up to the 64 GB. A 32 GB would work just fine for a lot of people. Now the question remains will the starting price be the same or is that additional 16 GB going to cost people $100?

The way Apple marks up the price of memory you'd swear it was 1999.

5. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

This is actually good news for those of us who want 128 and want the price to com down! That 4K video really eats up the storage!

6. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

If Apple raise BOTH base storage AND price, then it's time to say good bye to Apple hardware.
    Time to end such insane profit margin.
    We need to do more with less.

7. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

As long as the price stays the same, this'll be another much needed reason for people to upgrade to the 7.

8. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Barely scratched the surface of my 64 GB 6s. What Apple needs to do is give me some more iCloud storage for free. I only have 2 GBs remaining.

9. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I doubt it. They have kept iPhone pricing steady for years.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2016 ---
    For those of us who travel a lot, Cloud storage is nice but not the best solution for our use case.

10. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

I'd be glad to finally see the base storage bumped up to 32 GB, but that's something which should have happened two years ago with the iPhone 6.

11. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Does anyone even get close to using up 256 GB's on a phone...? (4K recording aside obviously)

12. cmichaelb, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016

cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Never tried. I filled 128 GB, with some cuts I'm down to about 90 GBs. Lossless music takes up tons of room, as does 4K video, full res pictures, etc.

13. 2457282 Suspended

As I said in yesterday's thread, for all I care they can sell an 8 gig phone - if people buy it, then great for them and for Apple. the real issue for me is the price. $100 jump for each tier of memory is a bit much even when accounting for the margins that Apple like to keep. I think they could something like

iPhone with 16gig $600
    iPhone with 32gig $650
    iPhone with 64gig $700
    iPhone with 128gig $750

14. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

It would be a little ironic if more people can finally store their entire iTunes music library locally on their iPhone, only to find they can't use their existing headphones to listen to any of it.

15. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

How long until there is complaining about "only 32GB. Apple is just being cheap if it won't make 64/128 GB the base storage option"?

16. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

I guess it'll be better for their bottom line, too.

-Steve Jobs

Glassed Silver:mac

17. dan110 macrumors 6502a

dan110

If Apple is smart, which is questionable these days, they'll leave the price points the exact same while making the 32 GB the low end option.

18. Tech198 macrumors G5

Yes... when u loose u'r phone there'd be pandemonium ... I can almost image that too, since people never keep backup's..

I'm happy with 16Gig for as long as Apple keeps selling the iPhone 6

19. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I have a 128GB iPhone 6. It's nearly full and most of my music is not stored locally.

If I had 256GB, I'd download my entire Apple Music library for offline playback. I have a small data plan so as it is, I disabled cellular playback for Apple Music which means 3/4 of my music isn't available when I'm not on Wi-Fi.

Of course it's nothing dramatic but I'd definitely consider the option, as it'd probably be cheaper in the long run than having to upgrade my data plan.

Also, Apple probably doesn't really care if the 256GB model doesn't sell that much. Part of why it's offered is due to the anchoring effect, a consumer psychology trick aiming to make the 128GB model look cheaper in comparison.

20. mikecorp Suspended

mikecorp

so in 5 years we can expect 64gb standard 256 medium and 1TB max.

21. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Not really.

In Europe, Russia and other places prices rose dramatically due to currency. Apple is not going to push prices up further.

22. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Of course, there will not be an option to disable 4K video recording on the 32GB model.

23. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

I have a 32 GB iPod Touch since 2009 and I have about 10 GBs of space remaining. Since I bought my 6s 64 GB, I haven't even bothered to sync my iTunes library to it. Partly because I already have the Touch and I mostly find and listen to music on Facebook. Can't use any of the streaming services out here because of my limited expensive data plans.

If Apple originally had a 32 GB model, that's what I would have bought, the 64 GB is overkill, but he 16 GB is just beyond ridiculous. Sucks that the iPhone 7 will finally have it, but maybe its for the best, since it might incur a price increase to justify the 32 GB increase. We don't know what the other trade offs might be.

At the end of the day, Tim is still head bean counter.

24. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

That's indeed the reason Chtulhu took finally over humanity.

25. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

Indeed. It's just a phone at the end of the day and it seems they don't give two ***** about user experience, only like to talk about it in theory, but not act on it.