Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Uhhhh he himself is not original. Not even close. You really think he invented unboxing videos? Get real.
[doublepost=1474048231][/doublepost]The reason they went with glass for the home button is because Sapphire is brittle and prone to cracking with pressure. Since the new home button is based on force touch, clearly they needed a more durable surface for hard presses, and that's where glass comes in.

But I suppose it's more fun to scratch it with razor blades and blame Apple for using "cheap" components, so don't let me interrupt.
no but he did start the bending iPhones. we're not questioning his unboxing and least I am not

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Look ma! I'm a scientist on YouTube!

I am curious about the camera lens, though. I see no reason to advertise it as "sapphire" if it isn't. I wonder why it scratched... Most of the hardness testers I see apply a calibrated pressure, which this guy clearly isn't, but does that explain it? I also can't tell what he's considering to be a scratch-- he says it's "deeply scratched", but I can't tell if it's just the optical coating that was scraped off.

The home button isn't sapphire and was never claimed to be. There is no "button" anymore-- it's the same material as the LCD glass.

He's just blowing smoke on the headphone jack comment. Yes, every connector has a certain number of insertion cycles, but to say with such conviction that removing the headphone jack made the device less reliable gives some insight into how deeply scientifically he's thinking about things.

Ignoring the fact that they may have better engineered the lightning connector to account for more insertion cycles, and taking at face value his statement that Apple has "doubled" the number of cycles on the lightning connector, if the lightning connector were rated at 10,000 cycles but the headphone jack was rated at 4,000 then they've improved the reliability.

If the lightning connector is rated at 10,000 cycles, and the battery is rated at 5,000 charge cycles, then there's no impact on device reliability.

And, of course, if you're trying to water proof something then fewer breaches in the seal makes the device more reliable.

Last edited:

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Look ma! I'm a scientist on YouTube!

I am curious about the camera lens, though. I see no reason to advertise it as "sapphire" if it isn't. I wonder why it scratched... Most of the hardness testers I see apply a calibrated pressure, which this guy clearly isn't, but does that explain it? I also can't tell what he's considering to be a scratch-- he says it's "deeply scratched", but I can't tell if it's just the optical coating that was scraped off.

The home button isn't sapphire and was never claimed to be. There is no "button" anymore-- it's the same material as the LCD glass.

He's just blowing smoke on the headphone jack comment. Yes, every connector has a certain number of insertion cycles, but to say with such conviction that removing the headphone jack made the device less reliable gives some insight into how deeply scientifically he's thinking about things.

Ignoring the fact that they may have better engineered the lightning connector to account for more insertion cycles, and taking at face value his statement that Apple has "doubled" the number of cycles on the lightning connector, if the lightning connector were rated at 10,000 cycles but the headphone jack was rated at 4,000 then they've improved the reliability.

If the lightning connector is rated at 10,000 cycles, and the battery is rated at 5,000 charge cycles, then there's no impact on device reliability.

And, of course, if you're trying to water proof something then fewer breaches in the seal makes the device more reliable.

The home button is not the same piece as the LCD display. Do some research. I fix it has shown that it is still a separate component and can be replaced if needed.

Reactions: Analog Kid

Beck Show

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2016
U.S.A.
They only reference the iPhone 7 with the "New Button". To say they "still reference it" is false.
The other Phones just say "button" Not "new button".

7 Plus :Second-generation fingerprint sensor built into the new Home button

7 : Second-generation fingerprint sensor built into the new Home button

6s Plus :Second-generation fingerprint sensor built into the Home button

6s : Second-generation fingerprint sensor built into the Home button

iPhone SE :Fingerprint sensor built into the Home button.
It's not false at all. You said there is no more button. Apple obviously disagrees with you. Whether it is referenced as a "new button" or just a "button", it is still a BUTTON. Otherwise Apple wouldn't have used the word button in the description of the "new button".

Reactions: 69Mustang

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Lmao why are you even in this thread, the Samsung Note 7 scores 3, barely harder than plastic. And it explodes.
How can you shills claim that this guy is a scam when he scratches the iPhone but when he scratched the note 7 using the same method, then it is a point against the note? Lol

m3t4L_m4n

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
But to make it water resistant they did have to use a seal... :cool::D

I'm sorry, I'll let myself out.

IMG_0011.JPG
It took me a minute... but I eventually got it. You can stay.
tumblr_m5uav5JDoF1qdey1zo1_500.png

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's not false at all. You said there is no more button. Apple obviously disagrees with you. Whether it is referenced as a "new button" or just a "button", it is still a BUTTON. Otherwise Apple wouldn't have used the word button in the description of the "new button".

Whatever. The "New button" is not made from Sapphire and Apple never said it was.

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
Woah, some debate about if sapphire is present in the home "button"! The iPhone 7 specs don't get that specific, but I did find a page explaining how touch ID works. According to that, it depends on sapphire crystal, apple says it "protects the sensor and acts as a lens to precisely focus it on your finger."

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204587

Yah I noticed the date, Sept 2015. Question is, why would apple remove it? What protects the sensor, what's the lens made of that could do a better job?

Last edited:

Beck Show

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2016
U.S.A.
Whatever. The "New button" is not made from Sapphire and Apple never said it was.
That is correct and exactly why I said you were correct in my first response to you. I never disagreed about it not being sapphire. I only disagreed with it not being a button as you claimed. Whether it's physical or virtual, it's still a button. I just wanted to make sure you are clear on that.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
How can you shills claim that this guy is a scam when he scratches the iPhone but when he scratched the note 7 using the same method, then it is a point against the note? Lol
Because it then shows that the i7 is twice as hard?

Stop generalizing us all together. I never called him a scam. Calm down.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I hear Apple tweaked the antenna band material. You guys might want to look into that after you finish the great home button sensor cover debate of 2016, lol.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
So the lighting jack went from 1-3 (average 2 a day) mating's a day, to 4-8x a day, or (4x365) ~1,500-3,000 mating's a year (and that's about DOUBLE).

If the Lighting jack was designed for 10,000 mating's for normal life, that means the jack will be "worn out" in about 3 years, versus 6.5 years

Not about 3 years - from 3-6.6 yrs based on your own numbers above (1500-3000 matings a year). The average would be 4.4 yrs.

Beck Show

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2016
U.S.A.
I hear Apple tweaked the antenna band material. You guys might want to look into that after you finish the great home button sensor cover debate of 2016, lol.
Yes we are debating the new home button because it is NEW. Brand new for this release. Isn't this the most opportune time to discuss and debate new functions, features, and materials? Some people like to have all the info and knowledge they can; especially about products they love, especially if those products have brand new features like the changing of the iconic home button. Wondering what it is covered with makes perfect sense to most, maybe not you. What may be perceived as bickering by you may simply be perceived as healthy debate and informative to others.

Even though I believe you were being facetious, I believe the antenna band material has remained the same. Perhaps you have another topic for us to add to the "great debates of 2016"?

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
If Apple goes ceramic for the iPhone 8, they are just following the Xiaomi Mi 5 Pro. Ceramic should be more scratch resistant. The jet black iPhone 7/7 Plus would have benefited from it had it been made of a ceramic rear.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
There's an awful lot of drama in this thread for something that has yet to be confirmed by anyone other than this one youtuber. The guy could have made a mistake with his testing. Apple has yet to claim something on their website and have it not be true so I don't know why they would start now. If it turns out to be true then by all means get out your pitchforks, but I think we should hold off on judging until we know for sure.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Click-bait and pointless. These type of videos capitalize on the fear of unrealistic non-issues...
I disagree, if you buy something w x material and it turns out it isn't that material you would be mad and maybe the item won't perform as good plus its harder to believe the company is not lying to you about other stuff. Besides this, the video its not click bait and is not unrealistic.
[doublepost=1474065480][/doublepost]
So is there actually a "deep" scratch in the home button and camera cover glass, or is the scratch just in some coating Apple has on the glass? The scratches on the Apple Watch at the link below look "deep" but then the owner reveals once he removed the anti-reflective coating, the scratch was gone:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7021615?tstart=0
i believe they were deep enough w the 7.
[doublepost=1474065917][/doublepost]
Jewellers will check a Rolex is real gold by looking for the stamp markings stating so! It's a ludicrous comparison to make.
They check gold always and also check machines inside 'rolex' watches

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa and TommyA6

Gingerough

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2014

Hardware review YouTube channel JerryRigEverything has put the new iPhone 7 through an intensive durability test, concluding that Apple has designed a "solid phone" with good build quality, but with a couple of reservations.

The latest video shows how a black matte iPhone 7 stands up to scratching, applied heat, and bending. In the first test, the screen stands up to a utility knife with no problems. However, when a harder level 6 mineral pick is applied it incurs damage, suggesting that coins and keys won't scratch it, but care should be taken to protect it against other abrasive materials that can be found in pockets and purses.

The iPhone 7 screen also lasts almost 10 seconds on contact with an open flame, after which the pixels get warm and turn off before completely recovering within seconds. In conclusion, screen durability is described as being "on par with typical smartphone screen hardness".

On the back of the phone, the anodized aluminum casing on the matte black model holds up well against key scratches, leaving hardly a mark, but it can't stand up to the cut of a razor blade.

Elsewhere, the new Taptic Engine home button stands up to the assaults of a razor blade, but suffers a deep scratch with a mid-level hardness pick. JerryRigEverything claims that this proves it is regular glass and not sapphire, contradicting Apple's own specifications for the phone.

Similarly, the rear camera lens on the iPhone 7 is demonstrated to be scratch-resistant when a razor blade is used, but it scratches deeply with a level 6 hardness pick. According to the reviewer, sapphire would be expected to withstand up to level 9, so the lens isn't sapphire either, but Apple would disagree. Meanwhile, the buttons are confirmed as metal, while the antenna bands remain plastic.

From a purely durability perspective, JerryRigEverything calls the removal of the headphone jack on the new iPhone "an extremely bad move", owing to the fact that two accessory types - headphones and charging cables - must now use the same port, doubling the rate of wear and tear. Another reason to use wireless headphones instead, perhaps.

Lastly, the bend test confirms the iPhone 7's aluminum chassis isn't susceptible to bending like the iPhone 6, which received plenty of criticism for this. However, waterproofing adhesive between the screen and the frame does begin to tear when significant pressure is applied, suggesting that sitting on the phone is still inadvisable.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Undergoes Extreme Durability Test in New Video
New Black iPhone 7
Bendgate x
Scratchgate x
Drowngate x
Fingerprintgate ?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
So as long as I don't burst into flames whilst shaving with an open blade razor and the phone in my back pocket, it should be ok?
Got it.
heh, actually.. according to this video at least, it looks like you will be able to do that and the phone will still allow you to call 911.. and do some internetting while you wait for the EMTs to show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.