Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
how do you find out the sensor size? from the exif data?

Make Apple
Model iPhone 8 Plus
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
XResolution 72
YResolution 72
ResolutionUnit inches
Software 11
ModifyDate 2017:09:16 20:21:58
YCbCrPositioning Centered
ExposureTime 1/50
FNumber 1.8
ExposureProgram Program AE
ISO 160
ExifVersion 0221
DateTimeOriginal 2017:09:16 20:21:58
CreateDate 2017:09:16 20:21:58
ComponentsConfiguration Y, Cb, Cr, -
ShutterSpeedValue 1/50
ApertureValue 1.8
BrightnessValue 1.8289987
ExposureCompensation 0
MeteringMode Multi-segment
Flash Off, Did not fire
FocalLength 4.0 mm
SubjectArea 2015 1511 2217 1330
SubSecTimeOriginal 699
SubSecTimeDigitized 699
FlashpixVersion 0100
ColorSpace Uncalibrated
ExifImageWidth 4032
ExifImageHeight 3024
SensingMethod One-chip color area
SceneType Directly photographed
CustomRendered Unknown (2)
ExposureMode Auto
WhiteBalance Auto
FocalLengthIn35mmFormat 29 mm
SceneCaptureType Standard
LensInfo 3.99-6.6mm f/1.8-2.8
LensMake Apple
LensModel iPhone 8 Plus back dual camera 3.99mm f/1.8
GPSLatitudeRef North
GPSLatitude 53.552475
GPSLongitudeRef East
GPSLongitude 9.844364
GPSAltitudeRef Above Sea Level
GPSAltitude 21.39971751 m
GPSTimeStamp 18:21:57
GPSSpeedRef km/h
GPSSpeed 0.1535014006
GPSImgDirectionRef True North
GPSImgDirection 246.7435897
GPSDestBearingRef True North
GPSDestBearing 246.7435897
GPSDateStamp 2017:09:16
GPSHPositioningError 32 m
Compression JPEG (old-style)
ThumbnailOffset 2210
ThumbnailLength 8940

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
how do you find out the sensor size? from the exif data?

found this on the net

• iPhone 6S (1/3in sensor) = 4.15mm x 7.21 = 29.92mm for a 35mm equivalent lens.
  • iPhone 7 Plus main sensor = 3.99mm x (7.21?) = 28.7679mm, very close to Apple’s claimed 28mm.
  • iPhone 7 Plus telephoto sensor = 6.6mm x (8.6?) = 56.8mm, very close to the claimed 56mm as well. For a 1/3.6in sensor, the crop factor is 8.6.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
That slow-sync flash is a pretty big deal, allowing the camera to expose more of the background while simultaneously exposing the foreground with flash. This is a feature usually found on dedicated cameras, and it makes a big difference in lower light when using flash.

I also see that the fixed the stepping aperture problem when shooting video (where you could see harsh visible transitions when moving from a dark to light area or visa-versa. Exposure transitions seem to be much improved (though you can still see a transition when it moves from the wide to the tele lens, which is understandable).

Being able to shoot at 4k in 60fps is a VERY big improvement as well, but I'm wondering if there are any limitations in this mode (other than BIG file sizes)? I assume OIS will still work, otherwise I won't use it. And I wonder if there is a shooting time limit? Most Android phones have a recording time limit when shooting 4k in 30 fps, let alone 60 fps. If the iPhone can shoot 4k/60fps without a time limit, that would be a pretty big achievement in terms of heat dissipation.

ANDJOE

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I have noticed that EXIF data from both iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 mention 4 mm focal lengths. These are the actual lengths not equivalent lengths.
If the sensor for the 8 has been increased in size, this would lead to wider field of view which I haven’t observed in any of the sample photos I have seen.
I wonder if the EXIF data is being read incorrectly or what the story is exactly.

Reactions: skidu

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I have noticed that EXIF data from both iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 mention 4 mm focal lengths. These are the actual lengths not equivalent lengths.
If the sensor for the 8 has been increased in size, this would lead to wider field of view which I haven’t observed in any of the sample photos I have seen.
I wonder if the EXIF data is being read incorrectly or what the story is exactly.

The difference in sensor size is likely minuscule. It's not like we are going from a standard smartphone sensor to a 1" or bigger sensor like those found in mirrorless cameras. Still, your point is valid and it would be interesting to see an actual test of field of view differences between the two cameras.

Reactions: skidu

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Seems like a big update to me. Especially when it's dark.

slowsync1.jpg

slowsync2.jpg

Test-1.jpg

2.jpg

What is slow sync flash? is it an option on the phone?

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
What is slow sync flash? is it an option on the phone?

Slow sync flash is where the camera is able to use a slower shutter speed to exposure a background while simultaneously illuminating a foreground subject with the flash. Basically, it helps balance exposure between foreground and background in a low light situation. It can also be used to create motion blur in the background for special effects.

I'm not sure if it's a setting you have to enable or if it does it automatically in low light. I would think it's a setting because you might not always want to use it (for example, when a foreground subject is moving, you want a faster shutter speed).

ANDJOE

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Slow sync flash is where the camera is able to use a slower shutter speed to exposure a background while simultaneously illuminating a foreground subject with the flash. Basically, it helps balance exposure between foreground and background in a low light situation. It can also be used to create motion blur in the background for special effects.

I'm not sure if it's a setting you have to enable or if it does it automatically in low light. I would think it's a setting because you might not always want to use it (for example, when a foreground subject is moving, you want a faster shutter speed).
Worth noting that as long as the flash itself is very fast, you can still freeze a moving foreground subject when using a slow shutter sync.

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014

I noticed the wider FOV in the first pictures the verge uploaded comparing it to the ip6/7

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16323570/apple-new-iphone-8-review-plus-2017

It looks more like a 25-26mm lens now perhaps even wider - bit disappointing as 28-29mm was perfect for everyday shots. Now there's going to be some heavy perspective distortion on close up objects.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

How did you take the pictures? Wasn’t it usejng the camera app

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I noticed the wider FOV in the first pictures the verge uploaded comparing it to the ip6/7

It looks more like a 25-26mm lens now perhaps even wider - bit disappointing as 28-29mm was perfect for everyday shots. Now there's going to be some heavy perspective distortion on close up objects.

Idk about that. You have to look at where the picture is framed by checking out what's in the corners, and ensuring they match up. They seem pretty much identical to me, if anything, maybe ever so slightly wider on the 8. And then the Pixel XL is like 40% wider lol.

Most of the images look the same, one looks like the 8 is wider due to the subject being further away, but if you look at the buildings in the back, it's practical identical.

If you look at 7:37 mins in, you'll see the 8 actually looks more narrow in that shot, if anything.

So I believe they're probably the same. I would love for a wider lens though.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Seems like a big update to me. Especially when it's dark.

slowsync1.jpg

slowsync2.jpg

Test-1.jpg

2.jpg

The fact the X should theoretically take even better photos than the iPhone 8 Plus with the OIS telephoto camera... I really want to look at photo samples between the three phones.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
The main thing I'm hoping for (across all new models) is that Apple's awful noise reduction (read 'smearing') has been improved. It really ruins images.

Of course Apple has not provided original 1:1 photo samples from any of the new phones yet so it is impossible to tell the actual image quality from the reduced-sized promo shots featured on most websites.
As soon as a new phone is released the camera samples should be made available to view in their original resolution so we can see the improvements etc.
[doublepost=1505873320][/doublepost]

This guy has done a pre-release review for a few years now. Those are nice pics.

But still - NO 1:1 hi-res shots to actually check!
Please,
SOMEBODY!

I've recently taken pics on my 7 only to notice later how bad the smearing is. I'm hoping for improvements also.

Reactions: AndyDiamond

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010

Is this a hardware or software feature? Are the 8, 8+, and X the only iPhones with the hardware for slow sync flash?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Is this a hardware or software feature? Are the 8, 8+, and X the only iPhones with the hardware for slow sync flash?
Not sure if this is hardware, software or a combination of them. It's only available for whatever reason on the 8, 8+ and X. If it was software driven, it theoretically, could be available to other iPhones as well, but that would cut into the desirable features needed to sell more of the 8's and the X's.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009

There is definitely a hardware component (requiring the flash to fire very softly since the shutter is open longer), but I can't tell you whether the previous iPhones would be capable of it or not. Even if they are, you can be sure Apple is not going to enable it since it's a feature that shows off the new models.

Patrick P

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2016
A thing that suspects me is that some reviewers said that they didn't see a difference between pictures from 7 and 8 while others write its a huge improvement and especially the noise reduction got even better. What do you think?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
A thing that suspects me is that some reviewers said that they didn't see a difference between pictures from 7 and 8 while others write its a huge improvement and especially the noise reduction got even better. What do you think?

Probably the only difference is noise reduction, which wouldn't be noticed unless you take relatively low light photos. Therefore most reviewers wouldn't see much of a difference. Skin tones and colors in general seem to be more evenly balanced, without looking as washed out as the 8; maybe more contrast as well. That's what I notice to my eye. I'm not seeing any inherent increase of quality though, but I do think the pictures look better in general. Kind of look closer to the S8 now, rather than looking a little weaker on the color front.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
Idk about that. You have to look at where the picture is framed by checking out what's in the corners, and ensuring they match up. They seem pretty much identical to me, if anything, maybe ever so slightly wider on the 8. And then the Pixel XL is like 40% wider lol.

Most of the images look the same, one looks like the 8 is wider due to the subject being further away, but if you look at the buildings in the back, it's practical identical.

If you look at 7:37 mins in, you'll see the 8 actually looks more narrow in that shot, if anything.

So I believe they're probably the same. I would love for a wider lens though.

'FocalLengthIn35mmFormat 29 mm'

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.