iPhone 8 Adoption Expectedly Lower After First Weekend of Sales as Customers Await iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

New data shows iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus adoption was lower than previous models over the first three days of availability.

[​IMG]

During the first weekend of sales, the devices combined for an estimated 0.7 percent market share of all iPhone models, the lowest since the iPhone 5s in 2013, according to mobile engagement platform Localytics.

With an estimated 0.4 percent market share, the iPhone 8 Plus recorded higher first weekend adoption than any Plus-sized iPhone ever, as demand continues to shift towards the larger 5.5-inch smartphone.

[​IMG]

It is important to note the data does not represent actual sales of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, but measures users who have received the devices and started using one of the 37,000 apps integrated with the Localytics SDK.

The slow start for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus is unsurprising, as the type of customers who would rush to purchase a new iPhone during the first weekend are likely waiting for the iPhone X to launch in November.

"Apple is betting big on the iPhone X, and so far it looks like consumers may be doing the same," said Localytics.

Apple stopped releasing first weekend sales numbers for new iPhone models last year, as demand typically outweighs supply, so the company feels it is no longer a representative metric for investors or customers.
    iOS 11's estimated 22 percent adoption is also lower than previous versions through the first six days of availability.

[​IMG]

These numbers may or may not be completely accurate, but together with shorter lines reported at Apple retail stores on iPhone 8 launch day, there is an overall sense there will be overwhelming demand for the iPhone X.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Adoption Expectedly Lower After First Weekend of Sales as Customers Await iPhone X

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

No one wants a four-year-old giant bezel design? Shocking

3. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

It's the same design for forth Year, people are not that intrested. Most of the buyers are waiting for iPhone X which will be significant lead over the previous models.
    ------------------------
    According to this Article :-
    IMG_0055.JPG
    http://info.localytics.com/blog/aft...ne-8-shows-slower-adoption-to-previous-models

4. sequential macrumors member

Of course no-one wants a phone that's going to be considered dated in 2 months.

Not that I'll be buying the ugly X phone either though.

5. killawat macrumors 65816

MBP 2016 took iPhone money for the next two years. See ya'll for the iPhone 9!

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I'm not buying into the "everybody is waiting for the iPhone X" excuse.

8. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I will be getting an 8 model, my 6 is dying and I will never spend $1k on a phone plain and simple.

9. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Why buy an inferior ancient looking product when a superior product is available just a few weeks later?

10. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Ask Tim Cook.

He will get up on stage and with a straight face say he's overwhelmed by the amazing response to the new phone and could not be more delighted with how much people love them.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 8 is a ho-humm update, especially for those on a 6s and up.

Lack of any wow features, is also a major factor - wireless charging has been around for so long, there's a long established standard, so Apple isn't really blazing any trails with the 8 compared to other competitors.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This is an accurate concern. There is simply no data to suggest “customers are waiting for the X”. Given that iPhone 7 sales declined from past years, we just don’t know the cause of lowers iPhone 8 sales yet.

13. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I think a ton of people are going to buy the X.

14. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

Gonna be a lot of disappointed people when the X sells out in 3 seconds, and will continue to be sold out through Christmas.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a lot of that, to be sure, but I think its also the fact that you can buy a iPhone 7 for less money from Apple, and the 8 doesn't really give you anything more.

16. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Exactly this, I think that one is just too expensive, I actually hopes it sells way less than Apple is expecting so they might consider pricing on new iPhones, they just got too expensive in the last few years.

17. richman555 macrumors 6502

richman555

The average Apple consumer is confused about the multiple versions and the pricing. Its quite possible that many people don't buy anything as a result.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

will that be because of demand, or Apple's inability to produce the iPhone X in sufficient quantities or both? I think there will be demand, but at 1,000 its not going to be as high as other phone launches, but because of the manufacturing issues and/or delays supplies will be severely constrained.

19. LarrySmith macrumors regular

LarrySmith

Oh come on, it isn't that difficult.

20. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

0.7% for iPhone 8 vs 1.2% for iPhone 7... the iPhone 10 will probably add another 0.7% or more for a stronger launch than the 7. Based on the posts here, you’d guess no one bought the 8.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

How exactly is this meaningful data? I remember when everyone was pushing this Slice Intelligence BS about poor Apple Watch sales because it fit the narrative they were pushing. Same thing will happen here.

22. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

23. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

“Waiting for the iPhone X” is what I keep hearing people say around me.
    And when I ask them about the price they tell me: “It’s only $200 more”.
    If I was going to buy a phone this year, I would get the iPhone X too; but I’m not. I’m keeping my SE for another year. I carry my iPad everywhere I go, so I don’t need a phone with a larger display at this time.

24. vvs14 macrumors regular

vvs14

I think you are overestimating the number of people who care about the bezel. I think the numbers are low because it is not a significant upgrade over the 6s or 7, tech wise.