Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New data shows iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus adoption was lower than previous models over the first three days of availability.

silvergoldiphone8-800x673.jpg

During the first weekend of sales, the devices combined for an estimated 0.7 percent market share of all iPhone models, the lowest since the iPhone 5s in 2013, according to mobile engagement platform Localytics.

With an estimated 0.4 percent market share, the iPhone 8 Plus recorded higher first weekend adoption than any Plus-sized iPhone ever, as demand continues to shift towards the larger 5.5-inch smartphone.

New-iPhone-Adoption-Lower-than-Previous-Models.jpg

It is important to note the data does not represent actual sales of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, but measures users who have received the devices and started using one of the 37,000 apps integrated with the Localytics SDK.

The slow start for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus is unsurprising, as the type of customers who would rush to purchase a new iPhone during the first weekend are likely waiting for the iPhone X to launch in November.

"Apple is betting big on the iPhone X, and so far it looks like consumers may be doing the same," said Localytics.

Apple stopped releasing first weekend sales numbers for new iPhone models last year, as demand typically outweighs supply, so the company feels it is no longer a representative metric for investors or customers.
In years past, we've announced how many new iPhones had been sold as of the first weekend following launch. But as we have expanded our distribution through carriers and resellers to hundreds of thousands of locations around the world, we are now at a point where we know before taking the first customer pre-order that we will sell out of iPhone 7.

These initial sales will be governed by supply, not demand, and we have decided that it is no longer a representative metric for our investors and customers. Therefore we won't be releasing a first-weekend number any longer.
iOS 11's estimated 22 percent adoption is also lower than previous versions through the first six days of availability.

iOS-11-Adoption-Lower-than-Previous-Versions.jpg

These numbers may or may not be completely accurate, but together with shorter lines reported at Apple retail stores on iPhone 8 launch day, there is an overall sense there will be overwhelming demand for the iPhone X.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Adoption Expectedly Lower After First Weekend of Sales as Customers Await iPhone X

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The 8 is a ho-humm update, especially for those on a 6s and up.

Lack of any wow features, is also a major factor - wireless charging has been around for so long, there's a long established standard, so Apple isn't really blazing any trails with the 8 compared to other competitors.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Gonna be a lot of disappointed people when the X sells out in 3 seconds, and will continue to be sold out through Christmas.
will that be because of demand, or Apple's inability to produce the iPhone X in sufficient quantities or both? I think there will be demand, but at 1,000 its not going to be as high as other phone launches, but because of the manufacturing issues and/or delays supplies will be severely constrained.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
0.7% for iPhone 8 vs 1.2% for iPhone 7... the iPhone 10 will probably add another 0.7% or more for a stronger launch than the 7. Based on the posts here, you’d guess no one bought the 8.

Reactions: Dexterama

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It is important to note the data does not represent actual sales of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, but measures users who have received the devices and started using one of the 37,000 apps integrated with the Localytics SDK.

How exactly is this meaningful data? I remember when everyone was pushing this Slice Intelligence BS about poor Apple Watch sales because it fit the narrative they were pushing. Same thing will happen here.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I'm not buying into the "everybody is waiting for the iPhone X" excuse.
“Waiting for the iPhone X” is what I keep hearing people say around me.
And when I ask them about the price they tell me: “It’s only $200 more”.
If I was going to buy a phone this year, I would get the iPhone X too; but I’m not. I’m keeping my SE for another year. I carry my iPad everywhere I go, so I don’t need a phone with a larger display at this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.