iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Pre-Orders to Begin at 12:01 a.m. PT on September 15

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. bobdobalina macrumors 6502

Didn't you hear, it's new! It's NEW! It's shiny, too!

2. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

That's kind of an absurd proposition don't you think? That's an almost 43% price jump. You could get an 8 and a Series 3 AW (almost), for the same money.

3. rockarollr macrumors member

rockarollr

I don’t see anyone having a problem getting one of these on day one. This is the most lackluster debut of an iterative iPhone update that I can remember. The iPhone 8 is not different enough to warrant an uograde from an iPhone 7 for most people that have one - like myself. All I’ve heard from average people “in the real world” about the iPhone X is how ridiculously expensive it is and how they’ll never pay that much for a phone. Oh, and I also hear how “Apple has lost its frickin’ mind” thinking they can get over $1,000 for a cell phone in 2017.

Sorry to say, but Apple blew this one straight out of their arse this time around. This is coming from someone who normally defends Apple’s business decisions when people criticize. They are indefensible in this case, however.

4. cardfan macrumors 65816

I would hope you save more than that. 7 Plus is a year old. Retailer have been discounting it all year. May as well buy a used one.

5. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I thought I had a few weeks to make my decision on the X but didn't think about the fact that I have to order an 8+ tomorrow if I want it on launch day. I guess I have to make up my mind or just buy the 8 and pass it on if I decide to buy an X without Touch ID.

6. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Do hot cakes really sell well?

7. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

:p I don't judge who gets the smaller phones for real just I love larger phones I guess :)

8. nutmac macrumors 68040

I think $700 iPhone 8 64GB will sell reasonably well. $300 is almost half the price of the phone.

On the other hand, I don't see iPhone 8 Plus selling well at all. It is much larger than X physically while providing only a marginal increase in screen real estate (and many people will think it will be less due to X having 5.8" screen with higher resolution, even though Plus shows more than X). Coupled with inferior camera, I think most will choose to stay with a Plus phone they already own or upgrade to X.

9. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

So is this the iPhone 6SSC?

10. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

No, I'm out of line, even for iPhone X. I have upgraded every year, iPhone 3G, 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6, 6s, 7 but not this year. I will be back next year if Apple put the touch ID back on iPhone X1. Wake me up then.

11. cardfan macrumors 65816

We saw this with 5C. The 5S had overwhelming demand over it. Apple users for most part will opt for the shiny. Heck, if you want to save money just wait a few months when they're discounting the 6SSS even further in desperation to sell them.

12. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

and the silence you hear..is iphone 8
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    you gotta keep your streak alive!

13. bobdobalina macrumors 6502

Would you buy an iPhone if it had a seven inch screen? Just testing your upper limits here. How about calling on an iPad Mini?!? Too far? :)

14. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

15. ToroidalZeus, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I'll bite. I agree the iPhone 8 is lackluster but I guess that's a given as the iPhone X is the true successor product. Price. Lower Price = Higher Quantity sold and vice-versa. If Apple believes the OLED production will not be high enough to warrant a 700 or 800 price point, in other words massive shortage of phones, it would make sense for them to set the price at 1000 knowing full well they'll still clear all available stock.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

They do at McDonalds!

17. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

In the middle of the night again? The customer hostility continues.

18. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

How would you be able to determine underwhelming? Not everybody will see it as you do, because they might be upgrading from an older iPhone that does not have features the iPhone 8 has or capabilities there previous iPhone did not. Not everybody is interested in having the latest technology and it still has Touch ID, which still some prefer. Underwhelming to you is not underwhelming to everybody else.

19. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

Consider ordering your 7 plus now. People may go for pre-ordering iPhone 8 and end up ordering iPhone 7 instead (once they see the trade-offs) so, on September 15th, Apple may run out of iPhone 7 (instead of iPhone 8) :)

20. TheCapricorn macrumors newbie

well .. I know X is expansive and Mind you all the bells and whistle you use for few days and then you get BORED.
    having said that .. iPhone X will sell out less then 1 Hour on OCT 27th .... mark my World...

21. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I just read a tweet that said "Apple usually waits a year before making an iPhone obsolete, iPhone 8 lasted just X minutes" lol

22. Saipher macrumors regular

Saipher

I'll take an Apple TV 4K please... to go! :)

23. vipergts2207, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples here. I don't remember all the differences between the 5s and 5c, but two that come to mind are the lack of TouchID and the polycarbonate shell of the 5c. FaceID is not the leap in convenience that TouchID was. Many people didn't use a passcode pre-TID because of the inconvenience. The 5c was noticableably more cheaply built with plastic as well. The 8 and X are both made out of primarily the same materials. Additionally, the 5c was pitched as a low-end varient to the "standard model" whereas the X is pitched as an ultra high-end version of the "standard model." The pitch is from a completely different angle.

Edit:
    Just looked and the 5c also used an A6 chip while the 5s used an A7. The 8 and X both use A11 chips. Also the price difference was only $100 back then. It's really unsurprising to see that the 5c was ignored so much back then.

24. now i see it macrumors 65816

The iPhone 8 Plus is a great upgrade from a 6 Plus. Better in every way. The farther back you upgrade from, the better the 8 series looks. The iPhone 8 wasn't intended really for the ip7 upgraders. Fortunately (or unfortunately) my ip6+ works flawlessly & is still in mint condition w 99% original battery capacity life- so there's STILL no good reason for me to part with it.
    Guess I'll wait for the 12 or 13 ......

25. Nozuka macrumors 65816

you'll probably sleep forever....

(this sounds worse than intended ;) )