iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Pre-Orders to Begin at 12:01 a.m. PT on September 15

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

On a serious note, does anyone know which modem this phone carries? intel? qualcomm?

2. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

If you don't care much for the dual OIS cameras and OLED screen, then the standard 8 sounds like the way to go. It should be more readily available. You bring up a great point about Apple and developers hammering out any potential issues with the new features. That might be worth waiting for.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm sorry, but given most of the hardware is unchanged from an overhaul-in-technology perspective (e.g. this isn't first year for dual-lense camera on the Plus model), I would find it extremely irresponsible of Apple to have either 8 or 8 Plus supply this year.

4. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

I’m feeling confident this year that there will be a good split of buyers. I want the X, but if the X was released on the same date as the 8, I’m pretty sure the 8 sales would bomb.

The late release will get more people on the 8 upgrade which works for me.

5. adamjackson macrumors 65816

This is assuming (based on past issues) that the iPhone X will be pretty unattainable to normal people for a few weeks.

1. Brand new design
    2. Scalpers buying up thousands to send over to other countries
    3. would be Samsung users who now have choice between bezel less Androids & iOS phones

I'm not a 3AM order kind of person so every year I wake up, check Verizon's site and it's back ordered for 2 months so I just go to Verizon a week later (rural town) and take whatever they have in stock. I'm a would-be iPhone Plus user for 3 years but they're never in stock on launch day so I just settle for a regular size and it fits my needs.

If this means i get a 256GB Plus on launch day w/o any fanfare, sign me up!

I'll be a little sore though if in October the iPhone X isn't back-orders on day one and I can reserve one for day one pickup but c'mon, there's no way that's going to happen, right?

Someone needs to talk me into waiting but I am coming up short on reasons.

6. cliffster82 macrumors regular

SAME SAME SAME. I will attempt to purchase iPhone 8 at 2AM central Friday morning from Verizon. If I wake up that is. Then next year make the jump to the next big thing. Having said that, if I hadn't scratched up my 7, I would probably keep it until next year.. a little wary of the all glass design, and I would be surprised if I end up buying wireless charge accessories as lightning works just fine. Look forward to the camera and speed boost though.

7. PCtoMAC1 macrumors 6502

PCtoMAC1

So why all the haters on the iPhone 8? I'm moving from a 6 to an 8. There's no point in just getting a 7 when I can get a better processor and wireless charging.

8. lazard macrumors 65816

hard to imagine that qualcomm modems will be in the new iphones.

9. rpat701 macrumors member

Serious question, can Apple recognize revenue from a sale if they don't deliver the actual product (ie - if it's backordered)? I would think there's going to be a ton of orders and only a few phones to go around.

10. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I don't even use the iPhone 7 for video or photo taking. I have a Lumix LX-10 for 4K Vlogs and Canon 5DM3 for stills. The only thing I use the camera for on iPhone is Untappd photos of Beers I'm drinking.

I think it's gonna take 6 months for 3rd party apps to even catch up to this new design of the screen anyway. I'm okay with going big-screen next year!

11. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

The 8 will be a great upgrade coming from the 6!

12. adamjackson macrumors 65816

iPhone 4/4S was my FAVORITE design! I never saw one that didn't have a cracked back glass but I personally never cracked mine and it was gorgeous all around.

13. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Apple phones are incredibly popular, so I expect them to sell out pretty quick. The X will be even crazier in Oct. The SE sold out even though its size is extremely smaller than its counterparts during its 2016 release.

14. Geert76 macrumors 65816

you are talking about the iPhone X, right? jup, I totally agree!

15. FasterQuieter macrumors 6502

FasterQuieter

i am probably upgrading my 7 Plus to an 8 Plus. Though I am not particularly excited. The reasons are that I hate the notch, I don't like the narrower vertical screen real estate, I don't want to wait until November/December, I don't want to pay an extra $200 and I am skeptical about Face ID and the lack of a home button. I'd rather wait for a larger, less compromised X next year.

So why not stick with my 7 Plus? 4K60 is huge for me - especially paired with the new Apple TV, my wife will get the 7 Plus - a great upgrade for her, and speed - responsiveness is probably my favorite thing about a new phone. Then there are the small things, like the newer portrait mode features and the wireless charging. Like I said, I am not terribly excited, but I'll be one of the few upgrading from the 7 Plus.

16. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm definitely curious how this will play out. ALL the media attention is on the iPhone X. And people either love it or hate it. It's easy to see the "normies" overlooking this one and the tech enthusiasts passing on it. I'm sure it will sell ok, but I could see it having similar sales (relative to the time) as the 5C. And if the X is really as supply constrained as some of the rumors (producing <1mil per month), sales could possibly be really screwy for a while.

Sure. The first one.

Of course at the time it was also the best selling iPhone ever.... it gets kinda tricky.. :p

18. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Should be considering the 6 has been out for awhile. 3D Touch, double the RAM, 4k camera, dual stereo speakers, water resistance, quick charge, wireless charging, faster processor, etc. Welcome to your next modern smartphone!

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

This is the first time I will not by a new iPhone.
    Every year I have purchased a new iPhone because of the new features. The 7 was the first time I doubted buying one... but did it anyway.

This time, the 8 is simply too expensive for an upgrade from a 7.
    I would like to shoot 4K @ 60fps, but I am not paying almost € 1000 for it.

The X is simply far too expensive. € 1329 for 256 GB... sheesh.

20. nintenmav macrumors newbie

How did you manage with your iPhone 3G, 4, 4s, and 5?

/s

21. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Your wallet thanks you and you know you're with a company that will support a product for a few years. If it were a Motorola phone, I would say screw it and upgrade.

22. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Hey, to those of us that don't buy a new AppleTV, AppleWatch or iPhone, we should throw that cash into our 401K :)

Kind of like if I had skipped every other generation of iPhone and bought Apple stock instead, I'd have enough money to buy a car instead :p

23. cliffster82 macrumors regular

Good point. The 4 was my first iPhone and a beautiful phone it was. From that perspective the glass back will be a nice touch. I hate using cases but I always end up with one since these things are so dang fragile.

24. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

I'll be up at 3:00 am ordering! Not one of these, but a new ATV and maybe a series 3 watch. Maybe. That hour talk time...

25. lenard macrumors 6502

They did not do that last year. History.