iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Pre-Orders to Begin at 12:01 a.m. PT on September 15

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Uh yes, which ever was the worst selling of all iPhones. Was this a serious question?

2. borgeindergaard macrumors newbie

borgeindergaard

I'm gonna go from a 7 to a 8+. I had the 6+ a couple of years back, and miss the screen size and battery life of the 6+.
    Personally, I'm skipping the iPhone X, mainly due to:

1. Face ID - I don't like it, for many reasons. I also have Touch ID on my 2017 MBP, and I don't want to have to use different authenticating methods on my phone and laptop.
    2. Bezel-less design. Has anyone actually used bezel-less phones? I owned a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for a few months, and I loved the design of the phone, but due to the small bezels I kept accidentally touching things, activating apps, changing apps, etc, ALL the time because there is NO area to actually grip the phone without touching the display. The iPhone X has even smaller bezels than the S7 Edge! I can't stand it.
    3. Battery life. The 8+ will have better battery life.
    4. Effective screen area: The 8+ don't have cut-aways in the top, don't have rounded edges, so it'll actually be able to show a full-screen photo bigger than the iPhone X (without cropping away the corners and the top).

Bezel-less designs look nice. Very nice. But they're flawed in regards to ergonomics and actual phone use.

My choice has nothing to do with price, as my employer pays for my phone bi-annually.

3. DJM1740 macrumors newbie

As much as I don’t want to say it I agree. Coming from a 7 plus, if anything I want to go smaller, but I’ve gotten so used to the larger screen that the X would be ideal, but I’m going to have quite the time convincing myself it’s worth that much green.

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks but no thanks. Looks outdated now. And iPhone X to expensive. So I wait a few years.

5. jujufreeze, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

jujufreeze macrumors 6502

Setting aside my reservations about the notch (watching videos alone with that nonsensical design choice looks to be a nightmare, is it really that hard to understand why a black bar is better) , I don't blindly trust Apple's facial recognition as a viable replacement for touch ID until it has been thoroughly proven to work consistently, no hiccups, and 64gb simply isn't enough for a 1k phone.

6. stooyleown macrumors newbie

stooyleown

When pre-ordering, do you pre-order to a store or will it be on door step by the 22nd?

7. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

I think 5.5-5.8 is my limit, can't imagine how people will handle the note 8 :O

8. TheCapricorn macrumors newbie

That's right ... but I have a feeling ... sales figure will not be good for any model ... except Apple TV ...

every 2nd year apple made the whole design change, provided more specs to the device BUT kept the price almost same..

This Year it is different... almost similar iPhone 8 and 8P with little bump on camera ... but the price has gone way high...

carrier may not offer good promo on X as they will be too busy getting deals from Apple for 7 and 8 ...
    I will buy x or 8P if TMO comes out with good promo .. if not I am happy with my 7 .... I have IOS 11 GM and it works great.....

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Not going to be released before March 2020.

10. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I'm still torn on 8 versus X. I'll probably just get the 8. It's not about the money, it's more about the timeline of things. I'm on a 12 month upgrade cycle with Verizon. Every 12 months, I can return my current iPhone and get a new one.

If I wait until the iPhone X arrives and it is back ordered through January, I now have to wait for January 2019 to get the next iPhone that presumably comes out in September. That sounds terrible.

On top of that, the iPhone X is just an iPhone 8 w/ Dual OIS and a larger OLED screen along with a stainless steel band. What are the actual other benefits? If it was faster, I'd consider it but if demand is low, I can finally get an iPhone on launch day without having to wait in line and get the one I want and then a year later, I'll be ready to jump to whatever the iPhone X is supposed to be w/o as much hype because it "looks like last year's phone"

Is my approach wrong?

As someone who's owned every iPhone. I see the X as a very limited, low-yield mold of where the puck is going and will fully be realized a year later when apps finally get their UI right for the screen design and Apple further perfects FaceID, the gestures we make to interact with it and hey, it'll be faster! The iPhone 6 Design still doesn't feel old to me and I keep my iPhone in a case anyway.

11. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Both list the 12:01 am PDT preorder time. Perhaps you didn’t bother to look?

12. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Serious, yes. Rhetorical, yes. Again, I pose the question. Has there ever been a worse selling iPhone ever? Or, "Which iPhone has not been the most successful selling iPhone ever? That sounds more apt, am I right? Which then in return, leads me to ask, why would this make this the worst selling iPhone ever based on what standards?

13. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

That phone looks SO familiar. I'd swear I've seen it before...

14. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Its sales couldn't be worse than the latest MacBook Pro.

Even then, they can still claim they sold, and it'd still be true if supplies were really limited.

15. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Also, IIRC, the 5C was just the 5 in a cheaper body, at a cheaper price, after the 5 had already been out for a year. This time the 8 is a step up from the 7, with the X being a step-and-a-half up. Granted, the 8 is a really an "S" iteration better than the 7, but better processor, better camera, and new wireless charging is what we're used to in an annual update nowadays.

The X gives larger screen, even mo' better camera, extra battery life, and the (gimmicky to me) animojis for $300 more over that, with a wait of an extra 2 (or 4 or 5?) months. Is it worth that? Some people will say yes, others will say no.

I'm still trying to decide, and for me (still holding a dying 6), the trade off of the better X battery and camera vs. getting the 8 earlier and the more familiar usability is a tough choice.

16. Return Zero macrumors 6502

Return Zero

Yeah, I'm in the seemingly small boat of people that still thinks this will sell quite well. Personally, I'm going to wait for the X, but for those that need an upgrade soon this is one hell of a phone and an underrated upgrade from the iPhone 6/6S. The A11 is just a raging beast. True Tone is really nice. Wireless charging will charm many. Last but not least, the camera upgrades on the Plus are flying under the radar but they look fantastic to me. The pre-optimization by the new ISP sounds really slick in particular. All this, plus many common folk just want a new phone and don't want old hardware, so they'll go for the cheapest new model which is the 8 (which now has double the base capacity for the same price, mind you).

17. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Does the 8 have haptic/solid state/non-physical home button like the 7? Didn't quite like it.

18. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

While everyone has their reasons for upgrading, I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade from my 7+ to the 8+. (unless there's a really good trade-in promo from a carrier)

For me, the X is the way to go, but that price is pretty tough to swallow. Hopefully the dual OIS finds its way to the 9+ next year.

19. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

For those on the annual plan, getting the 8 now and X-1 (or whatever it's called) in September 2018 really sounds like the best move.

20. Return Zero macrumors 6502

Return Zero

Not even close. This has the full performance of the X. 5C was decidedly a budget model.

21. Dissident111 Suspended

Dissident111

Wow a new processor! Yes, I better upgrade to the new iPhone 8. You won't even see any difference by the eye. What a let down. They could have at least made the screen OLED even if it isn't edge to edge.

22. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

2014 springs into mind for some reason. September specifically

23. kas147 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if you can pre-order to collect in store on the 22nd in the UK?

24. Dissident111 Suspended

Dissident111

Yes, but Apple will tell you the new phone is like "magic".
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Don't get the phone! If no one buys it they will realize it is junk.

25. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

PizzaBoxStyle

I upgraded my phone in fall 2013, right after the 5S and C were released.

I would have considered the 5C more than I did if it didn't have those awful, gaudy colors on the otter shell. If they had made one in flat black (similar to the 3G and 3GS) I think it would have sold so well it would have eaten into the 5S. So... they put obnoxious neon colors on the outside, and signaled to everyone, "hey, unless you want to walk around with this brightly colored, childish looking phone, you have to pay the extra to get the 5S."