iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Pre-Orders to Begin at 12:01 a.m. PT on September 15

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Defender6502 macrumors newbie

Defender6502

--- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    What's the usual time period Apple waits before it releases a non-carrier-specific, SIM-free, UNLOCKED version of a newly released iPhone?

AND, does anyone expect Apple will NOT (eventually) offer SIM-free, UNLOCKED versions of the iPhone 8s and iPhone X ("ten")?

2. tridley68 macrumors regular

tridley68

Thanks for the chuckle

3. chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

8 was originally planned as 7s and X was 8. Who would have thunk Sammy wouldn't want to build the phone for Apple?

4. jujufreeze macrumors 6502

Without the X guinea pigs we would all be lost. Thank you for your service. :)

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I think the 8 will sell decent enough, but likely much worse then the 7 when it was the flagship. The X is going to shave off a lot of customers at the higher end and the 7 will shave off customers at the lower end. The 8 sort of gets sandwiched in the middle and still looks like the cheaper 7.

6. KB24Slam macrumors newbie

KB24Slam

Does anyone know if the Apple upgrade program will give any kind of priority when preordering the X?

7. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

No need to get worked up over this. Whether you get the 8 or X. It is just a phone. After the newness wears off. Same ppl stressing over this phone, and when they will get it. Will be more worried about the next phone. In the grand scheme of things, it’s no big deal.

8. KrispE00 macrumors member

I’m sure the original iPhone is the worst selling, just based on the popularity increase over the past 10 years.

9. Evan_F macrumors member

Evan_F

Good Question...

10. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I prefer waffles my self.

11. Black Magic, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

The problem with Samsung is that while they can have the highest of resolutions, not many Apps are developed to take advantage of it. Apple devices on the other hand will be embraced and developed for.

Samsung is not an innovator, they copy and they do it in every industry. The problem is they copy half ass and cut corners. Note 7 is one example. Look at the front load washers as another example. If they aren't exploding, they are using plastic hinges around the doors where as if you go look at LG, they use metal.

Have you ever wondered why Samsung always has deals a month or so after release that involve buy 1 get 1 free? Because they can't sell at the scale of Apple so they are hoping folks will get hooked with freebies.

Lastly, you are probably a paid astroturfer. Samsung has tons of bots that go site to site spewing the same old crap. Is the pay good? I should look at your post history to see if this is a trend.

12. JungeQuex macrumors regular

Seems like a waste of an upgrade based on impatience and generally being cheap, but hey, to each his own.

13. drzen macrumors member

drzen

They also have a new sensor, and a new image processor as well as Apple's own new GPU. All adding up to significant improvements over the iPhone 7. I really don't understand what other kind of improvements people were expecting for the 8, which was expected to retain the existing form factor.

14. LinusR macrumors regular

LinusR

Thanks! I was really just interested.
    Give Face ID some time, I assume, as with Touch ID, it will improve.

15. himanshumodi macrumors regular

himanshumodi

Where I am at, 8+ will retail at 1150 USD, but there are usual cash back offers from credit card companies to the tune of 160 USD. (all nos. inclusive of taxes). I would have loved 7+, but no cash-back offers there, and it will end up costing just 50 USD cheaper, with lesser storage.

My ideal phone would be iphone 8 with dual cameras. But after having owned a 6 for a while now, I really envy the 7+ camera capabilities.

On a separate note - Right now, iphone 8+ is near about the same price point as galaxy S8+. So I think iphone 8+ is priced well. I honestly don't get why x had to be priced so high. Just because of the display?

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I don't use credit cards.

17. Pstein15, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017

Pstein15 macrumors newbie

Disappointing. We were always in the launch day 4 AM line. Not this time. We stood in line to be the first with the latest greatest. Anyone buying the IPhone 8 models, won't be getting the latest and greatest. We will be sanding pat with the 7.

We have all Apple products, including my wife's super expensive Apple Hermes Watch. The $ 1499 one. At least that gives you something noticeably different. The X model doesn't give you enough to justify the price.

18. laurieballard macrumors newbie

I have a 6S so will likely jump to the 8 for the extra performance and wireless charging.

For me its about functionality, I couldn't care less about face unlock and animojis. I am 30 years old, I like new tech but the gimmicks wore off years ago.

Its a shame the UK prices are the same as the US ones!

19. vtaznboylei macrumors newbie

vtaznboylei

does anyone remember how the stock level of + model phones have been on launch day in carriers for the past few years? debating whether to pre-order tonight or just wait til next friday to walk in local verizon. thoughts? thanks.

20. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I love the bottom notch on your mockup, can we have another couple of those on the left and right side of the display?

21. himanshumodi macrumors regular

himanshumodi

I own a 6. Upgrading to 8+ for the exact same reasons. I REALLLLY prefer size of 8, but that camera on 8+ is rather good!

22. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I own a 7 and considering going to the X or 8+ for the camera mainly. Still unsure about the faceID, so may just go with the 8+.

23. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Yes, the display is an OLED display and the cost to Apple is $125 per screen instead of $20 for the 8+ screen and $12 for the 8. All the screens are the same from 6 to 8.

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Maybe one day I will change my mind. But I don’t want to be a beta tester when it comes to FaceID. I will wait till it’s fully tested.