iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Pre-Orders to Begin at 12:01 a.m. PT on September 15

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

I don't, but I'll be getting up at the same time for the watch & TV...

2. n3sh macrumors newbie

This is great. The notch can actually take the full top part and not be a notch anymore.
    So basically a thin bezel at top... too similar to Samsung?

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

that's the thing. not a lot of people BADLY need face id + animoji, so the iPhone 8 works for them.

4. L-Viz macrumors member

I like maximum screen area, however symmetry is a must. Jony did fail on this, big time, and so did he by allowing protruding cams.

Steve would have never allowed this.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Sure, it's got great specs and for people who actually like bezels, as some on this forum have said that they do, it's bezelicious. It's got some good AR capability according to the Keynote. I'm considering it myself just because of the battery life on the Plus will likely be the best of the bunch. Touch ID is still a selling point. It may also have the ability to record stereo audio (I saw a mic on it that's not on the 7 Plus) so it would be a solid upgrade for me, for that alone if it's really capable of doing that.

I can't really see any downsides to it. The iPhone X is the one that's going to take a bit of courage (and patience and lots of moolah) to get.

6. macguru212 macrumors member

macguru212

No, I want the better camera on the phone, also my battery doesn't hold up.

7. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I thought about it more, and in some ways, isn't this best analogous to the iPad mini 2 and the iPad 4? Mostly same internals, other advantages to the full sized 4, and then the big difference being screen the size.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Erm....until you get presbyopia.;)

9. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Yea, I would like the dual camera on small phone and I would be happy. Now I am forced to buy a larger phone to enjoy the features.

10. truettray macrumors 6502

truettray

Well I'm really looking forward to getting the 8.

11. lique831 macrumors regular

I think I'm going to get the 8+. Or maybe I'll get the X. I don't know. All I keep thinking back to is when Touch ID didn't work all the great and I was so annoyed when trying to get into my phone. It was seriously irritating and I feel like that might be the case with Face ID in the first iteration. I don't want to pay almost $1200 to be irritated.

12. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Well what holds me back from the X is the fact that I imagine a lot of Apps will need to be redone to look great on the X which means next years phone will reap most of the benefits. I don't want to deal with the early adopter pain.

13. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I'll be getting the X because I am a lemming and always buy new iPhones. I'm sure I will enjoy it though, it has some great features!

14. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

15. tylersdad macrumors member

tylersdad

Maybe 20-something humans, but not 40-something humans. If they would make the keyboard bigger, it might help. As it is, it seems like the keyboard keeps shrinking proportional to the size increase of the screens.

16. anoobis macrumors member

1) which iPhones have not sold well?

2) $1000 >> $700, almost 50% more

3) Upgrading to a $700 phone in 2 weeks on the upgrade plan vs upgrading to a $1000 phone in maybe late November/early December are very different

I don't plan on "shelling out the money for the X" but I already have a 7 so I won't be "going for the cheaper 7 or 6S". There are lot of people like me on the upgrade plan that will upgrade to a newer model every year but not the X this year.

17. vvs14 macrumors regular

vvs14

I personally think it looks better than iPhone X.

18. obamtl macrumors regular

I don’t like it for video either. Thankfully, if you double-tap the screen, it shows the full video rather than crop it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Gotta say, those bezels already look mighty HUGE!

19. vvs14 macrumors regular

vvs14

I think what he meant to ask was, was there ever an iPhone that sold less than its predecessor.

20. dt808 macrumors member

I ordered last year through ATT.

Is it better to order it through apple VS. a carrier? I am guessing it is.

Thanks in advance!

21. Urban Joe macrumors 6502

I predict the X is what most purchasers will want and it will be harder to find than bottled water in a hurricaine evacuation zone.

22. mindsaspire, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

mindsaspire macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the wireless charging for the iPhone 8 will work like the Apple Watch or MagSafe where it snaps into place on the charging pad, or does the device not lock into place on the charger? Wireless charging would be convenient to have in my car, but I'd prefer it to a plug-in charger only if the iPhone is somewhat secure on the charging pad.

23. Ries macrumors 68000

Wanted OLED since forever, going to pay the 999$ (more like 1300$ here). Wait did face just fail in that super scripted show... maybe it was a fluke, i’ll chance it! Goes to Apple.dk to check prices, wait what, 999$ is for a 64GB? Usage... 65GB... and the next step is... **** it.... not paying laptop price for a phone. My iPhone 7 128GB is going to stay another year.

24. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

My first iPhone was a 6 Plus. Liked it until 3D touch came along with the 6S but kept it until the 7 Plus was released. Will keep my 7 until next year unless I break it or my operator calls me and gives me a deal with an 8 Plus. Hopefully next year there is an 9/9 plus with touchid. Like most of the X design but there is nothing I need on it so rather save my money and get a MacBook Pro this year.

25. Applestock macrumors member

Applestock

I think the trueDepth camera is an awesome feature on par with the bezelless OLED super retina screen. The animoji and snapchat features are just an early start to what developers will include. Also, I think FaceID will turn out to be really convenient. You will no longer have to authenticate as a separate step. When you click the buy button on the screen, it will just make the purchase and you won't have to put your thumb on the home button every time. I agree with your last paragraph, but a lot of people want to be on that bleeding edge (and this is it).