Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Between this and the shenanigans T-Mobile tried to pull with Apple Watch LTE, it's a wonder anyone uses them.
They're cheap (because they want marketshare), and they have better coverage than Sprint. I don't use them, but I know people who are quite happy T-Mobile - and they aren't in the market for new watches or phones, so the things you're outraged about have no meaning to them.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
does t-mobile even support this band (yet? lol) new spec, its fine, the new phone will get great service and is a great piece of tech.

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
The lower the frequency the better the coverage. This is going to be a game changer for T-mobile unless AT&T and Verizon sabotage their ability to get new devices.
It's a game of tradeoffs. You get extra coverage with lower frequency, but it comes at the cost of peak speed. The same thing happened with Band 12 versus Band 4.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
That's a short-sighted comment. If no one ever came out with new technology, where would we be? Any new technology will be incompatible/unsupported until there is hardware to support it. Remember 5Ghz band WIFI?

TMobile's network continues to operate just like it always has, so not sure what AT&T has over TMobile in that respect...maybe you can clarify for us?
I think you misunderstood what i was saying. When iphone 4 was popular, i was with tmobile. I waited for tmobile to jump into iphone arena but they didn't...not till way later in the game. That's because they didn't have compatibility network to work iphone.

ViDeOmAnCiNi

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
AZ
IMO, as Apple has slowly moved to developing their own chips for every part of the iPhone, they will also develop their own LTE modem chip for it as well, probably for the 2018 phones. Since they are having this spot of bother with Qualcomm, and the Intel models suck, it's the logical move to make. I'm sure their Apple designed modem will support everything now and near-future at that time.

Reactions: jezbd1997

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
That's kinds frustrating but fine about band 71, but what about the other missing modem tech? Like 4x4 and such. Do we know what modems are in these phones yet?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This is nothing to do with 5G. Band 71 is the new 600MHz band that T-Mobile won a lot of nationwide spectrum with. Once this is built out, their speeds and coverage will increase significantly.
Of course, because their 3 users will have the bandwidth all to themselves...

Reactions: cyanite

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
As a T-Mobile customer who lives in a pretty rural area, would love better coverage out at the edges of the network here, and is looking at an X, this is a bit of a disappointment. But I don't see California on that list, so it's quite possible they're not going to have that spectrum running here for a while anyway, and by the time they do I'll probably have a new phone anyway, so "oh well."

Actually, it's funny though--in one very small town in my area Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint all have horrible service, while I get 4 dots with T-Mobile and have no trouble getting a good signal even in the bowels of a commercial building there. The town is known for its crappy cell service, and people keep asking me what carrier I have when I'm the only one in the room who can get a signal. It's possible US Cellular (regional rural carrier) does better, but to my knowledge T-Mobile is the best game in (that) town.

Verizon still wins way out in the woods, though.

Praesto

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Since I follow the FCC routinely, I can tell everyone here that the cell phone manufacturers knew that Band 71 and some others were going to auctioned off over 2 years ago, so regardless of T-Mobile's announcement time, somebody was going to be using it by now, so this notion that they didn't know is pure bunk. In the US, all TV channels over Channel 37 were all auctioned off for mobile use. Since it was a public auction of the public's airwaves, this has been known for years. They simply chose not to support it for whatever reason. That is the point you should be arguing.

Just to be clear, you are saying we should be mad at all phone manufacturers except LG because LG has one phone that supports it, right?

I can happily say I don't use TMobile so I don't give a flying crap.

Reactions: cyanite and Xirian

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
That's a short-sighted comment. If no one ever came out with new technology, where would we be? Any new technology will be incompatible/unsupported until there is hardware to support it. Remember 5Ghz band WIFI?

TMobile's network continues to operate just like it always has, so not sure what AT&T has over TMobile in that respect...maybe you can clarify for us?
https://www.iosnoops.com/2011/04/24/iphone-4-compatible-with-t-mobile-in-the-works/ This link here shows that tmobile wasn't ready for iphone 4 but was working on it.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
They're cheap (because they want marketshare), and they have better coverage than Sprint. I don't use them, but I know people who are quite happy T-Mobile - and they aren't in the market for new watches or phones, so the things you're outraged about have no meaning to them.

I'm not outraged. Not even pissed. I don't use T-Mobile so it doesn't really impact me. This is just one of those moments in time where they seem to be misstepping a bit more publicly than the other carriers and if I were a customer, I'd start to question that choice.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
T-Mobile blows in my area. I tried to switch to them last year, because it is such a good deal. Anything involving data was so slow. Less than 1mbps speeds for sure. 600Mhz wouldn't have helped them. Although I barely got a signal at my desk at work. They need more capacity. Unless they've greatly improved around here in the last 12 months.

Reactions: tonyr6

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Things like this making me feel better by the day to wait till next year. Come on iPhone 5s... you can make it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.