Carrier Iphone 8 and X on Cricket?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kyleh22, Sep 19, 2017.

1. kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

If I buy an iphone 8, 8 plus or x outright without a carrier, will it work on cricket? I'm currently using a 5c on cricket.

Thanks!

2. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

Most likely since cricket uses the AT&T network.

3. kyleh22 thread starter macrumors 6502

kyleh22

I appreciate the reply. I called Apple this morning and they confirmed your post. They BELIEVE it will work if I buy an unlocked version. I will report back this weekend when I get the phone.

4. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

I'm 99% sure you should be ok. I did this in 2014 with the iPhone 6 Plus. I bought it at the Apple store, Sim free and popped in a cricket Sim no problem.

5. Nozuka macrumors 68020

i definitely heard the crickets when the 8 launched!

sorry.. first thing that came to my mind when i read the title.. ;)

6. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

We bought a sim-free 7 Plus for my wife two months ago and it worked with Cricket without any issues. I have a sim-free 8 Plus coming on Friday and have no concerns about it working. You should be good.

7. kyleh22 thread starter macrumors 6502

kyleh22

Iphone 8 plus works great on cricket. As you guys indicated, moving the SIM from my old iphone 5c to the new unlocked iphone 8 plus was all it took. One interesting thing is that some imessages randomly only get receieved on the old iphone 5c. I can't find any pattern as to why it is. I turned imessage off on the old iphone 5c so hopefully everything gets directed to the new phone.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I use cricket right now without issue. I will say the speed caps are a little annoying (8 mbps), but I have never had an issues unless ATT is having problems.