iPhone 8 Expected to Have 3D Facial Recognition Instead of Touch ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's widely expected 5.8-inch iPhone with an edge-to-edge OLED display will feature a front-facing 3D laser scanner for facial recognition, corroborating previous rumors, according to JPMorgan analyst Rod Hall.

[​IMG]

Hall said the scanner will replace Touch ID on the so-called iPhone 8, as Apple plans to remove the Home button to allow for the edge-to-edge display. His research note claims the so-called iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus could also have a 3D laser scanner based on increased volume of the module within Apple's supply chain.

The scanner is said to add $10 to $15 per module to the iPhone 8's bill of materials, which coupled with the OLED display, glass casing, and other increased production costs, could make its retail price up to $100 more expensive than it would be without those features, if Apple looks to maintain a similar profit margin.

The increased costs are in line with a recent report claiming the iPhone 8 could cost upwards of $1,000 in the United States.

Hall believes the switch to facial recognition will help alleviate consumer frustration when Touch ID does not work under wet conditions. He added that facial recognition will potentially be more secure than Touch ID, which could increase apple pay adoption among banks and merchants.

The research note said the 3D laser scanner could eventually be used for other purposes, such as augmented reality, but likely not until 2018 at the earliest.
    He also believes that Apple is likely to eventually open up a 3D scanning API to developers, who could use it to do "everything from determining your shoe size for online orders to helping make sure you are properly fitted on your bike."

Hall expects a strong iPhone 8 replacement cycle later this year, and he said an announcement about the product is possible as early as WWDC 2017, which kicks off June 5. Apple has not made any iPhone hardware announcements at WWDC since 2010, so treat this claim with a proverbial grain of salt for now.

Earlier this week, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said while it is "still early to examine hardware support for Apple Pay," he believes the new 5.8-inch iPhone will feature "other biometric technologies that replace the current fingerprint recognition technology," lending credence to Touch ID's removal.

Kuo had previously said that iris or facial recognition could initially complement Touch ID if Apple faced technological barriers, while Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri noted that facial recognition could either replace Touch ID or augment its functionality to create a two-factor verification system.

Other rumors have suggested that Apple will embed Touch ID underneath the display as technologically possible.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Expected to Have 3D Facial Recognition Instead of Touch ID

2. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Scanner in my 950XL, had in my Note 7. It's aggravating to use. Fingerprint is loads faster and easier. Y'all will see.

Yes I know "Apple will do it better" but the concept itself is pretty janky IMO.

3. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

4. cgriffis753 macrumors member

cgriffis753

Better be in addition to not instead off. What about paying for apps?

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

replacing touchID? No. In addition? Maybe.
    (possibly a stupid question: how would it work in extremely low light conditions/darkness ?)

6. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

First they get my fingerprint, then they get my a 3D image of my face, next they get my DNA and can start cloning me. All for extra security... oh and little clones of me can buy more iPhones :).

7. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

Touch-ID is too convenient to go away. If anything, facial recognition should complement it, not replace it.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

9. bartolo5 macrumors member

10. jscooper22 macrumors regular

jscooper22

Wonder if it'll still recognize me at 2am when I can't sleep, bloodshot eyes, bags, squinting, but just HAVE to see who posted a new funny meme on FB.

11. code-m macrumors regular

Looking forward to it, more curious to see what developers use the laser capabilities for (laser stud finder).

12. ThatTechGuy macrumors member

As someone who wears a mask in a hospital all day, I really hope this technology either A) somehow works regardless of the mask, maybe scanning the eyes or B) doesn't actually REPLACE Touch ID but rather comes alongside of it.

13. jscooper22 macrumors regular

jscooper22

Because it's Apple.

14. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

This 3d scanning is the first new feature I have been truly interested in beside water resistance since iphone 4

15. code-m macrumors regular

You have bigger problems if you cannot get sleep at 2am, you need to see a doctor and take some sleeping aids or just put the phone away from arms reach. You need help.

16. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

17. code-m macrumors regular

Talk is cheap ;):p

18. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

now now, lets not encourage anyone :p.

19. jiggad369 macrumors regular

jiggad369

Something something about third party TouchID repairs...

20. MacFin macrumors newbie

MacFin

So what's gonna happen to Apple Pay? Can imagine people taking "selfies" at tills in order to pay their purchases...

21. garrick2007 macrumors newbie

garrick2007

Its far too soon to completely ditch touchID and only leave us with ancient passcode and face recognition. Talk about not working. Apple isn't the type to adopt this tech this early. Also doubt they are even removing the home button after they just made it taptic

22. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

How will I pay for things securely if I need the phone on the reader and also have the phones camera facing my face? Almost no readers in stores are at such an angle to have both in alignment.

TouchID is great I hope they don't abandon it.

23. Appleaker macrumors 65816

I'm surprised at this as it isn't necessarily more secure or convenient. When you pay with Apple Pay you'd have to make sure your face is in view of the camera(s) making it less convenient in my opinion.

24. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Just curious, how did your phone scanner work in the dark?

I use my iPhone at night or in a dimly lit room all the time and if the face recognition will not work there than that is not good.

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You missed the perfect opportunity to say because it's courage only Apple has.