iPhone 8 Facial Recognition Will Likely Work With Apple Pay According to HomePod Firmware

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 2, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Recent iPhone 8 rumors have suggested Apple may be planning to replace Touch ID with a new facial recognition system, but there's been a lot of question about how Apple Pay will work and whether Apple will indeed be able to eliminate Touch ID entirely.

We've already seen confirmation that Apple is working on facial recognition in the iPhone 8 through a recent HomePod firmware release, and now additional information found in the code confirms Apple has a mechanism for authenticating Touch ID payments with a face scan instead of through a fingerprint.

A com.apple.passbook.payment string found in the HomePod firmware by iOS developer @r_idn features two references to "pearl.field-detect" and "pearl.pre-arm" among other payment verification data. As we learned from earlier leaks, "pearl" refers to Pearl ID, the codename for Apple's facial recognition system. Apple's current implementation appears to be incomplete, as pearl is only mentioned under presentation and not authentication.

[​IMG]

While many are skeptical that Touch ID can be replaced by a facial recognition system that's equally secure, rumors have suggested Apple's facial recognition technique captures more data points than a fingerprint scan, making it more secure than Touch ID.

It's not yet clear how Apple Pay will work without a Home button and without a fingerprint, but it will presumably be able to authenticate by scanning a user's face, with a payment completed via a finger on the screen as is the case in current iPhones.

Previous HomePod firmware leaks related to the iPhone 8 have suggested Apple has not implemented an under-display Touch ID solution as was initially rumored for the device, and it's looking more and more like there's no other physical Touch ID solution built into the upcoming smartphone.

For more on the iPhone 8, make sure to check out our extensive roundup, which aggregates all of the rumors we've heard about the device so far. Lately, we've unearthed a lot of new information thanks to the HomePod firmware, including details confirming infrared facial tracking, the design of the iPhone 8, a split status bar and tap to wake, and an upcoming "SmartCamera" feature.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Facial Recognition Will Likely Work With Apple Pay According to HomePod Firmware

2. The Barron macrumors regular

3. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Yesterday it was said it wouldn't, today it's said it would, tomorrow will say.....??????

No one knows, FaceTime it!

4. uajafd macrumors newbie

uajafd

Cue in reports from people who were able to pay by showing the phone a photo of some random guy.

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Pearl ID clearly refers to our pearly whites. It will deny access to our iPhone if we haven't brushed our teeth! ADA approved.

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Oh and Apple will need the banks to agree to using this as a security measure first. Is that in this firmware? Seems apparently everything else is...

7. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I believe only 4 out of 5 dentists approve.

8. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

will this be a problem for people who usually wear alot of makeup? i can imagine all my exs not able to open their phone in the morning :D

9. Sunny1990, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

WOW! another interesting leak from this homepod firmware! It will be interesting to see how face id will work with Apple Pay.

Edit:-
    IMG_0484.PNG

iPhone 8 Front where the Face-ID will be placed.

10. michael31986 macrumors 68030

How will we be able to go back to home screen from apps?

11. JPIS macrumors regular

JPIS

They have the fingerprint down, now get the facial recognition for security or a retinal eye scan & we're really cooking with Cook, et al.

12. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

u wink at it ;)

13. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

I can't wait to see people holding their phone up to their face to pay for stuff in stores. That's just going to be hilarious. Although I hardly ever really see people using Apple Pay so maybe it won't make a difference.

Also, get ready to hover over your phone while it lays on your desk to open it.

14. bijanc macrumors newbie

They just introduced Touch ID into the MacBook line so why the hell would they be now trying to eliminate it?

15. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I'm curious to see Apple's MasterPlan how this will all integrate together with facial recognition and Apple Pay. Whatever it is, they have it all figured out.

16. hollose macrumors newbie

I find it funny, that no one, no website, no apple-community commentator - explores the angle and thoughts on "what if this leak is a hoax, a purposely planted misinformation from Apple"...? to throw us all off course... or throw the competition off course..?

17. markram macrumors newbie

markram

the touchID is a hit-or-miss for me anyway. I have sweaty hands. gonna miss it in a way though. not sure if I'm ready to give it up already

18. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

According to the rumors, Apple couldn't get TouchID to work with the new iPhones. So, it looks like they might have just settled on the facial recognition instead. Hopefully they will get it to work right.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to go back to typing in a passcode.

19. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

This was a common sense conclusion.

Traditional contactless credit cards already worked without any authentication.

Apple Pay currently works with an insecure 4 digit passcode.

Why would Apple Pay not work with enhanced facial recognition? Banks should be lining up to agree to Face ID.

20. MarkB786 macrumors regular

So if I am doing winter sports, I am going to have to take off my face protection rather than just taking off a glove? And if it's anything like Touch ID, I will have to have a face profile for day, night, winter, summer, dry, humid, shave day, non-shave day, good mood, bad mood, sunglasses, no sunglasses, etc. Oh but wait, I'm sure we'll be limited to five profiles.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

HomePod firmware... the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving.

22. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

23. Nozuka macrumors 65816

If the iPhone 8 (or whatever it will be called) doesn't have touchID in anyway, we are most likely never going to see TouchID under the Display. I doubt they would suddenly feel the need to add fingerprint scanning back, after hyping the **** out of facial recognition.

24. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

Like android has for years.

25. kidaje macrumors regular