iPhone '8' OLED model backorder is gonna get ugly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Mar 6, 2017.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Tim Cook, supply chain genius, set to release AirPods in October, delayed until a few days before x-mas 2016. Fine, engineering problems, some kinda something, fine.

Fast forward approaching mid-March, and still 6 weeks before receiving them from apple.com

I got mine early in January, but :O

A quarter will be nearly wrapped up with massive delays still

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I fear you are right and I think some will not have their new 8, even by Christmas.

It will be in great demand.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Which is why it's been rumoured for early production

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

5. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

This is a given, I've been saying this since the earliest reports last year. It would be foolish for Apple not to start production early this time around, granted they've used the same iPhone design for the past 4 years.

Then again, Apple is good at creating demand and I'm pretty sure these phones will be backordered within hours of orders opening up. If you thought the other iPhone releases were bad..... just wait.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If there is a frenzy...won't include me. The phone is probably too big for me though I'll be sure to read the reviews.

Hopefully, come 2018...Apple will do the OLED on the 4.7" model.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I certainly hope this is true. Per the reason for early production, would likely be to do the constraint with parts suppliers and the manufacture. If the rumors are true, then hopefully that would open up for at least a wider availability of iPhones for availability.

8. ericwn macrumors 65816

It's a bit early for me personally to get upset about wait times and prices for unannounced products. So far I never had to wait long to have the latest iPhone delivered, but YMMV.

9. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

I bit the bullet and bought a 7 Plus last week for this very reason. It looks good in media reports, but to the consumer, having to wait months for a phone is pretty annoying. I'll hold out and get the 8 or whatever it's actually called once it has wide availability in stores.

That may be months after the initial launch, but so be it. Hell, in my area it's still rare to see jet black 7 pluses in stock, and the 256GB ones are still essentially unicorns.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If the people at MacRumors will stay off the internet long enough for me to order my new phone, things won't have to get physical. :eek:

:p

I plan on ordering day one. If I don't get it, I will keep trying. :mad:

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Not sure how Apple fails to meet launch demand every year. It must be intentional at this point with a company this big, with this many resources.

12. BasicGreatGuy, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It does make you wonder what the heck is going on year after year with the same shortages.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

You. I like you. You're a basic great guy.

14. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

It's fabricated shortages to build hype. They've done it all along with the lines at stores and rushes on launch days.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

If I decide to purchase it, I'll order it online from Apple on day 1 whenever I happen to wake up (probably around 6am EST), and when I get it, I get it. Anyone's who's really worried about the supply or lack thereof just needs to wake up early (or stay up late) and order online as soon as it goes on sale. I doubt you'll be waiting until Christmas if you manage to order within the first couple of hours.

16. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Then there are these youtubers that get iPhones just to do torture tests on them :(

17. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Even if it's around $1,000 for the base model, I think Apple will do it to see how much people are willing to pay and adjust accordingly for the following year.

In their eyes, they can always fall-back on the iPhone 7s they will simultaneously release.

18. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

It's depressing to think a 1000 dollar phone.

Who knows what that will translate late to for certain currencies and markets

19. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

You would think they could get on top of this, but then again, there seems to always be issues.

Let's just hope there's no supply chain weakness.

20. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

?? The iPhone 7Plus with 256gb is alreday $970, I don't think an extra 30 bucks is going to make a huge splash.

21. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

there is a psychological threshold of being 'too much' even if affordable, and a fine line. and 256 7+ is the best SKU you can buy.

at $879+tax for my 128gb 7+ I debated it a lot, but I sold my 6s plus 64gb to cover more than Half of that and got the subsidy on that phone so it was worth it. but not without reservations

$1000 for a base iPhone 8, then factor in tax, or $1100 for a model with reasonable storage, and tax, its getting downright ridiculous and on par with a super premium laptop or a badass gaming rig, or a massive car repair, or funds for bills etc etc

22. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Not a MacBook Pro, he he

23. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Pretty much tho since base non touchbar is 1500 and people are now getting them around 250 off on average. And some even found that from launch.

iPhones ridiculous and never gets a sale from resellers cause they don't have to

24. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

The prices are definitely pretty expensive across the board. There's no doubt in that. I just don't think a $1000 iPhone is that big of news considering we already have an iPhone out that after tax is +$1000. And we don't know the price hierarchy for the new phones so its not fair to assume the base phone will cost $1000. I just think we should hold any complaints or gloom until the keynote lol.

25. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

I am hoping rumors are true where they will be increasing the screen size into a smaller form factor just about the same size as the current 4.7" model by getting rid of bezels, touch id, etc. If not, Im in the same boat as you.