Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
The prices are definitely pretty expensive across the board. There's no doubt in that. I just don't think a $1000 iPhone is that big of news considering we already have an iPhone out that after tax is +$1000. And we don't know the price hierarchy for the new phones so its not fair to assume the base phone will cost $1000. I just think we should hold any complaints or gloom until the keynote lol.

Point being after tax 1000

1000 base before tax, if true, is getting up there with insane.

This is mac RUMORS speculation is inevitable

Reactions: Demo Kit

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have a 7+and am on the IUP. At this point, that screen would have to be pretty darn good for me to consider it (although I said that with the 7+).

As for shortages, I still can't understand why the supply chain 'genius' STILL can't find a way to make the AirPods readily available. How many months has it been since they officially 'launched?' Kinda ridiculous.

I go back and forth between wanting the AirPods and not wanting them. Interesting how when I had decided not to buy a pair, Apple had them in store.

Reactions: thadoggfather

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I don't think Apple does it intentionally. They produce a phone, need to test, produce software and need to test etc. Then I'm sure like any production they have some production problems. So it takes a while to actually produce "good" versions of the new phones. As we see on this forum it takes several versions of Beta to get software where it is usable.
Also remember Apple wants to keep selling and shortages doesn't help.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
An iPhone launch getting ugly?! Go on, I'm learning a lot here....

Serious though, it sucks for people that will want one (myself included) but it will be nice to see ridiculous lines of people lined up for them again. Now we just need someone to manipulate peoples thoughts as good as Jobs was. Cook has the passion just lacks the fire.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Can't wait! I will be up at 3 AM EST ready to buy. Been looking forward to a new refresh and I am sure Apple won't disappoint with this new model.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I'm not excited about OLED. Too many downsides as a display technology for mobile device. I'm also not one that gets excited about case redesign... I care more about how it actually performs. Apple really needs to focus on improving UI and fixing bugs. If you are excited about OLED, that's fine, just be aware that it isn't better for everything.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not excited about OLED. Too many downsides as a display technology for mobile device. I'm also not one that gets excited about case redesign... I care more about how it actually performs. Apple really needs to focus on improving UI and fixing bugs. If you are excited about OLED, that's fine, just be aware that it isn't better for everything.

Go use a Samsung Galaxy or other device with OLED and then come back and tell me that your LCD is better at something. Everything has downsides, but the upsides of OLED are big enough to outweigh them vs LCD; any LCD. Using a Galaxy Note 5 with OLED is half the reason I nearly switched to Android last year... it's not even a comparison in my eyes.

DUIduckSAUCE

Suspended
Sep 12, 2016
If they give it the edition moniker and slap a ceramic back on it. It is going to be very expensive as well as hard to get.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Go use a Samsung Galaxy or other device with OLED and then come back and tell me that your LCD is better at something. Everything has downsides, but the upsides of OLED are big enough to outweigh them vs LCD; any LCD. Using a Galaxy Note 5 with OLED is half the reason I nearly switched to Android last year... it's not even a comparison in my eyes.
What makes you think I haven't? Unless you plan to sit in a dark basement, the "infinite contrast" offered by OLED isn't much use. There is no debate, OLED is great for television but not for a mobile device. OLED has inferior daylight performance, chews through energy when displaying mostly bright images (and iOS is incredibly white), suffers from burn-in, suffers from color shifting, and is more expensive. Likewise, to offset color shifting, extra blue pixels are added (thus the term "pentile") and makes fonts look ragged. But ok, OLED is better for you. Looks like you'll get what you want.

Reactions: Broadus

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Not sure how Apple fails to meet launch demand every year. It must be intentional at this point with a company this big, with this many resources.

Apple is limited by the quantity that their supply chain can produce. The "easy" answer to that is, "Why doesn't Apple increase the size of their supply chain so that more units can be produced?" While that does seem like a logical solution, my understanding from all that I've read over the years about Apple's specifications and tolerances for their products in general is that there are probably more manufacturers out there that either can't or won't manufacture something to Apple specifications than there are manufacturers that will.

As in any other industry, companies that have an obsessive focus on providing a product or service are limited in the suppliers and manufacturers they can use because not all suppliers and manufacturers share a company's obsessive focus or care to cater to it.

I think the easiest solution to the problem is to get the product into production earlier (which, I guess they're doing with the OLED iPhone?); but I suspect that for various reasons, sometimes deadlines for getting products into production are missed.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What makes you think I haven't? Unless you plan to sit in a dark basement, the "infinite contrast" offered by OLED isn't much use. There is no debate, OLED is great for television but not for a mobile device. OLED has inferior daylight performance, chews through energy when displaying mostly bright images (and iOS is incredibly white), suffers from burn-in, suffers from color shifting, and is more expensive. Likewise, to offset color shifting, extra blue pixels are added (thus the term "pentile") and makes fonts look ragged. But ok, OLED is better for you. Looks like you'll get what you want.

We should definitely wait for the keynotes to form a good opinion. Although OLED is predominately a Samsung/LG tech we need to see how Apple implements it. It could very well be much more then exactly what we find in other smartphones currently. Samsung makes processors for Apple because they are an electronic manufacture capable of such, but Apples designs aren't influenced by processors Samsung uses. We might be saying the same about Apples OLED screens.

Apple Watches OLED is pretty damn good for what it is IMO. Even their best LCD wouldn't work in that specific application.

Also Apple is well aware they are under a magnifying glass. Their OLED will need to be better in nearly every way possible if its going to be used on their best and most expensive iPhone ever. This includes color gamut, brightness and power consumption (although that can be effected by other components to make it appear better).

Just my opinion, its best to wait because categorizing OLED into one group would be like categorizing LCD into group which we know isn't true.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
It really doesn't matter what it will cost...or rather, it will matter only to some people.

If someone wants to blow a grand on a phone, be my guest. I don't own any Apple stock directly, but I'm sure the index funds that I have, have some stake in Apple. :)

My 6s... being my first ever smartphone...the notion of getting a new phone every year, much less every 2 years ...still boggles the mind for me.

People are nuts, I think...but hey...whatever!

Last edited:

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
It really doesn't matter what it will cost...or rather, it will matter to some people.

If someone wants to blow a grand on a phone, be my guest. I don't own any Apple stock directly, but I'm sure the index funds that I have, have some stake in Apple. :)

My 6s... being my first ever smartphone...the notion of getting a new phone every year, much less every 2 years ...still boggles the mind for me.

People are nuts, I think...but hey...whatever!

You arent considering how well these phones hold their resale value, especially if sold every year to buy the new phone. And with the installment plans through the phone companies, it is even easier. I make 12 $25 payments throughout the year ($300). The phone cost $749 (sales tax upfront). So after a year I owe $449. I have never had an issue reselling for $500 or more. Payoff the installment plan, sign up for a new one for new phone, use any overage on the sale for the sales tax and keep making the payments. Yes, I will always have the installment payments, but Im ok with that.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
You arent considering how well these phones hold their resale value, especially if sold every year to buy the new phone. And with the installment plans through the phone companies, it is even easier. I make 12 $25 payments throughout the year ($300). The phone cost $749 (sales tax upfront). So after a year I owe $449. I have never had an issue reselling for $500 or more. Payoff the installment plan, sign up for a new one for new phone, use any overage on the sale for the sales tax and keep making the payments. Yes, I will always have the installment payments, but Im ok with that.

It defrays the cost some, but still...

Far be it for me to say what people should spend money on...a phone makes as much sense as anything else.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
It defrays the cost some, but still...

Far be it for me to say what people should spend money on...a phone makes as much sense as anything else.

Obviously upgrading every year isnt for everyone and in most cases is a luxury that is completely unnecessary, but lets not call it a "phone" like its sole purpose is to call people. Might actually be one of the least used features for most people.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
It's depressing to think a 1000 dollar phone.

Who knows what that will translate late to for certain currencies and markets

I've said it a couple times here before, it's going to be at least $1300-1500 in Canada. Double what I paid for my current 6+

And if that's the case, I might be out

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
An iPhone being the same price as a level entry MacBook is ridiculous.

That would be funny!

Some will still pay the piper though...and I count myself in that group, but the indications are all the key factors (that matter to me) will be absent from the 7s.

So I'll wait. :)

Also, I figure by 2018...many of the goodies that will debut on the new phone will trickle down to the standard models so I'll let this year's adopters have first crack.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The price is off-putting. Back in the days of the 4s I played the "where can I find it" game and wasted a lot of time. I no longer play that game. I like to order phones months after they've been released and it's kinda nice not having to wait.

That said, I've owned OLED phones before (Note 3, Nexus 6, Pixel) - they were ok but their use outside was horrible so I'm not looking forward to that. As long as iOS has a dark theme, I could see OLED working. I always found reading on the IPS screens of an iPhone for long periods of time better than OLED screens.

But these phones are REALLY getting expensive. $44/mo for the Apple Upgrade Plan for my 6s+ kinda hits the limit for me. Really hope this "Edition" iPhone isn't more expensive. But yeah, got my Macbook Air 11 at Best Buy for like $700. My iPad Air 2 was $500? I use both a lot more than my phone. I'll probably be holding onto my 6s+ for a long long time. It's what, $80? for a battery replacement?

Reactions: Newtons Apple

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
The price is off-putting. Back in the days of the 4s I played the "where can I find it" game and wasted a lot of time. I no longer play that game. I like to order phones months after they've been released and it's kinda nice not having to wait.

That said, I've owned OLED phones before (Note 3, Nexus 6, Pixel) - they were ok but their use outside was horrible so I'm not looking forward to that. As long as iOS has a dark theme, I could see OLED working. I always found reading on the IPS screens of an iPhone for long periods of time better than OLED screens.

But these phones are REALLY getting expensive. $44/mo for the Apple Upgrade Plan for my 6s+ kinda hits the limit for me. Really hope this "Edition" iPhone isn't more expensive. But yeah, got my Macbook Air 11 at Best Buy for like $700. My iPad Air 2 was $500? I use both a lot more than my phone. I'll probably be holding onto my 6s+ for a long long time. It's what, $80? for a battery replacement?

Well you kind of explained what they are doing with the iPhone in that last paragraph. You bought a Macbook Air for $700 instead of a Macbook Pro for 2k. From the rumors there will be 3 iPhone models, 2 most likely at the current price points and one "pro" model that will cost more.

The question is, will they upgrade the 2 "base" models enough for people to want to upgrade to them compared to the higher end model.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The question is, will they upgrade the 2 "base" models enough for people to want to upgrade to them compared to the higher end model.

That's the $64,000 question (if the early game show folk understand the reference)!

Will Apple improve the two base models enough for people to buy (assuming the mystery phone is out of the question)?

My stance is...if they don't, Apple has only themselves to blame.

Want to know who holds the most power? That might well be the people that don't buy any phone this year...if it's sizeable, Apple will have to try harder next year.

I like that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.