Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Someone should go to an Apple Store and buy an 8/8 plus...make a few phone calls, ask for a return, try that one out on a few phone calls, return that one! Keep going until they send every one of them back to where they came from! It's ridiculous that this many people have spent that much money/time buying a product, and Apple puts out this crap. I was planning on buying one in about a month, but I feel bad for all of you who have to put up with going through the return process.

I have loved Apple, but it's not like making a phone call is something new. How did the testers not see this? Unless the production phones are a little different. I don't know how that process goes.

ajep

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Starbucks probably? ☕️
Someone should go to an Apple Store and buy an 8/8 plus...make a few phone calls, ask for a return, try that one out on a few phone calls, return that one! Keep going until they send every one of them back to where they came from! It's ridiculous that this many people have spent that much money/time buying a product, and Apple puts out this crap. I was planning on buying one in about a month, but I feel bad for all of you who have to put up with going through the return process.

I have loved Apple, but it's not like making a phone call is something new. How did the testers not see this? Unless the production phones are a little different. I don't know how that process goes.
[doublepost=1506354482][/doublepost]Someone should go to an Apple Store and buy an 8/8 plus...make a few phone calls, ask for a return, try that one out on a few phone calls, return that one! Keep going until they send every one of them back to where they came from! It's ridiculous that this many people have spent that much money/time buying a product, and Apple puts out this crap. I was planning on buying one in about a month, but I feel bad for all of you who have to put up with going through the return process.

There's always a possibility that it could be fixed in a new version of iOS 11 considering when toggling speaker on then off it fixes it. I'd hope so otherwise they've got a lot of iPhones to fix!!

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
There's always a possibility that it could be fixed in a new version of iOS 11 considering when toggling speaker on then off it fixes it. I'd hope so otherwise they've got a lot of iPhones to fix!!

I thought most of the people that had the issue said toggling speaker off/on doesn't fix it. Hopefully it can be fixed via software update!

ajep

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Starbucks probably? ☕️
I've just been on the phone to Apple and I'm well and truly p****d off. So far they have no idea of any issues with the iPhone 8. I've had a £30.00 screen protector lost in the process and they're completely unwilling to help. Not please - bloody awful
[doublepost=1506355766][/doublepost]Ps: I can also confirm the speakerphone toggle doesn't actually work!!!

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I thought most of the people that had the issue said toggling speaker off/on doesn't fix it. Hopefully it can be fixed via software update!

Toggling speaker phone on/off a few times fixes the issue. It may not work the first or second time, but eventually it fixes the issue. I've done this on multiple test calls on both my iPhone 8 and my wife's iPhone 8.

As a result, it is most likely a software issue since the problem doesn't happen 100% of the time and it can be corrected after a few toggles of the speaker phone.

Reactions: maverick22

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I have a genius appointment today after work but I am fairly certain nothing will come of it based on what people have posted here re: calls to Apple support. I don't want to exchange my 8+, I have terrible luck with dead pixels and bad screens, this one is perfect. And chances are good that a replacement will have the same crackle issue.

Isn't iOS 11.0.1 being released tomorrow? That's what people are saying in the iOS thread it seems? Maybe this will fix it. If not, I will just return the phone and go back to my 7. I don't have time for this BS.

Reactions: pbts

Polymerpouch

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Got my first handset ( iPhone 8 plus) on release day, it had this issue, I searched everywhere and could only find previous mentions of this issue on older devices.

Spoke to advisors and senior advisors at Apple, I had explained that I’d done most of the logical troubleshooting - toggling WiFi, Bluetooth, 4G, WiFi calling, Ambient Noise reduction etc including restoring via iTunes, setting up as new phone etc. I also called my carrier to make sure it wasn’t the line quality, additionally I turned off all electrical equipment in my home to ensure it wasn’t electrical interference.

I too found that toggling speakerphone and then returning to receiver alleviates it *sometimes”. This does seem to be an intermittent issue.

Apple advised that I’d need to bring the phone in to be repaired. Instead I contacted my carrier for an entire replacement, at this point I had assumed nobody else had this issue and that I had a faulty handset.

I’m now on my second 8 plus from my carrier, the issue persists and seems to be even worse - occurring in most calls.

I believe this is a widespread issue, I cannot be certain as to whether it is software or hardware or a combination, though Apple asking me to attend for repair would suggest hardware.

I believe the only way forward to get this issue addressed is to shift our attention to Apple via their feedback form, I have mentioned this thread to them but my guess is that they cannot rely on this forum as a means of feedback, you need to ensure you’ve notified them via their official feedback mechanisim to see this issue addressed.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
Got my first handset ( iPhone 8 plus) on release day, it had this issue, I searched everywhere and could only find previous mentions of this issue on older devices.

Spoke to advisors and senior advisors at Apple, I had explained that I’d done most of the logical troubleshooting - toggling WiFi, Bluetooth, 4G, WiFi calling, Ambient Noise reduction etc including restoring via iTunes, setting up as new phone etc. I also called my carrier to make sure it wasn’t the line quality, additionally I turned off all electrical equipment in my home to ensure it wasn’t electrical interference.

I too found that toggling speakerphone and then returning to receiver alleviates it *sometimes”. This does seem to be an intermittent issue.

Apple advised that I’d need to bring the phone in to be repaired. Instead I contacted my carrier for an entire replacement, at this point I had assumed nobody else had this issue and that I had a faulty handset.

I’m now on my second 8 plus from my carrier, the issue persists and seems to be even worse - occurring in most calls.

I believe this is a widespread issue, I cannot be certain as to whether it is software or hardware or a combination, though Apple asking me to attend for repair would suggest hardware.

I believe the only way forward to get this issue addressed is to shift our attention to Apple via their feedback form, I have mentioned this thread to them but my guess is that they cannot rely on this forum as a means of feedback, you need to ensure you’ve notified them via their official feedback mechanisim to see this issue addressed.
I’m sure they are working on a software fix ASAP people should wait before trading iPhones in already because the problem will still be there

Polymerpouch

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
I’m sure they are working on a software fix ASAP people should wait before trading iPhones in already because the problem will still be there

I agree, at the time I called for replacement the issue was widely unreported anywhere. I thought I may have had a single faulty handset. I’m sure this issue will be addressed. Every new product has teething issues, it just needs to be reported to the manufacturer properly.

Reactions: ForumChick

Lulfy

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Having the same problem on my gold 64GB 8 plus. The top speaker falls out intermittently while watching videos as well. Spoke with Apple support, and they suggested it’s a SIM card problem—doesn’t really make sense with the video audio though.

sharpsteve

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
I am getting the pop crackles as well. Only happens on the earpiece, not when I use headphones.

Edit: Submitted a bug report.

bakers2

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Hi - I'm getting this too. It's a strange static 'ticking' or 'popping sound'. The quality improves slightly when you remove the case. Based in the UK so I took my 8 Plus back to the Carphone Werehouse but the replacement is doing the same. Apparently I sound very far away when making a call. So maybe a software update is needed? Apple Support advised me to change my SIM card which I'm in the process of doing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.