iPhone 8 Plus delivered. Gap between glass and sides?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macs4u, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Macs4u, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

Macs4u macrumors 6502

Just had my iPhone 8 Plus delivered and happy for the most part. Only issue I have is that if you look at the phone the left top seems to have a little more gap between the glass and the aluminium than the right top , don't know if that would decrease its waterproofness? I don't plan on getting it wet but you can never say never. 4k 60fps video seems good quality!

Matt

Attached Files:

2. iPhisch macrumors 6502

That's how my 7 is around the top of the front glass. Gets full of fuzz and pocket junk all the time. Maybe stop by a store and compare it to a display model, swap it out if the store ones are sans gap.

3. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Nearest Apple Store to me is 160 miles round trip so will see if anybody else chimes in and says "yes but its still waterproof" as if so will just keep it , if not then ill have to.

Matt

4. UKapple macrumors regular

Send it back. There’s clearly a gap there that isn’t present on the other side. We pay a lot of money for these devices so they should be perfect. This is one of the downsides about being an early adopter of devices, I experienced it with my galaxy S8 plus. I went through 2 devices until I found one that didn’t have the red hue problem that plagued the early devices.

5. iPhisch macrumors 6502

Doesn't have to be an Apple store, go check out a carrier or other retail shop? If it's bad, call Apple.

6. shootertwist14 macrumors newbie

sorry for the OT, but the silver/white really looks good from those close up pics, hmm, could give the space gray a run for its money, its very classy

7. drzen macrumors member

drzen

Historically, do the first run models tend to have more production issues? Mine is week 35.

8. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive just called o2 and told them I want it swapping.They are sending a new one out for tomorrow and then will collect this at the same time. Will let you all know what the new one is like.

Matt

9. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

10. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I don't see the issue. They are different materials so there will be a a tiny gap.

11. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

A tiny gap I don't mind. The left has a gap that is twice as thick (albeit probably half a mmm at most) that doesn't sound like good build quality on a £100 phone , when its nearly a £1000 phone I want it perfect.

Matt

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

From what I understand, there's a very thin plastic gasket between the glass and the sides.

13. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

Came in to say this, after i just saw a video review about it.

Does the 7 have this plastic?

14. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

Understand. I don't see it. I would return it if it's a problem for you.

15. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I would take to apple store and see if they agree. They're always good about swapping devices if there's a defect.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

From what I have read, the gap is normal. Some reviews said it makes the iPhone look like a knockoff.

17. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

I think you could find something like this on every phone you're sent if you analyze it enough. I would let the dust settle and give it a few weeks. You know the phone is backed by a warranty; if you have any issues, you'll be covered. If it still bothers you after that, bring it in and ask them to swap it out. :)

18. Nickpad3 macrumors newbie

I’d head over to Home Depot and get some silicone.

19. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502

Dirtydutch

20. noobinator macrumors 601

And your next one will have a bigger gap on the right, or a mm difference in something else.

21. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

Does the 8 and 8 Plus have alluminum flanking the sides instead of stainless steel like the X?

22. AppleZombie macrumors 6502

You have good eyes. I would have just thrown it into a case not even notice and called it a day.

23. Geert76, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

Geert76 macrumors 65816

a random Apple Store around the world, November 23th 2017

customer to Genius: ''look, there's a black gap in the middle of the statusbar on my iPhone, I would like to swap!?''
    Genius: ''that's a feature of your brand new iPhone''
    customer: :eek:

#TheNotch
    #X