Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
The actual screen isn't though, is it? I mean I found it difficult to swipe up from the bottom because of the way I hold the phone, it was kind of hard for my thumb
I assumed you talking about the size of the device, not the screen. You said “the X seems too long”, not the screen seems too long.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Interesting post for me

I'm seriously considering a step back into iOS; the last iPhone I had was a 6S Plus (did have a 2 day dabble with a 7 Plus), but preferred Android and to stick with a Pixel XL

The Pixel XL died on me, so still have my trusty N6P, but have a Nexus 6 too, so I'm well covered for Android

Went through the Galaxy 8 Plus and Note 8; but can't cope with the crap that Samsung put onto their phones and the Edge screen did my nut in eventually...

I'm very interested in the 8 Plus and the X; my concern is I've slab like hands and the X appears that it'll be too small for my comfort...

Not bothered re Face ID or 'the best screen ever'; I use my phones for normal everyday stuff and don't watch movies or play games on them

I'd say the 8 Plus is going to eb the right phone for me, but don't get me wrong, the X is a stunning phone, just don't think it's for me!

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I just got an X. I love the features but I am REALLY disliking how small the screen is compared to the Plus!!! I much prefer the features and design of the X, but I have a feeling I am going to return it for a Plus. I have large hands, its just super uncomfortable and the reduced screen real estate is quite annoying.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I just got an X. I love the features but I am REALLY disliking how small the screen is compared to the Plus!!! I much prefer the features and design of the X, but I have a feeling I am going to return it for a Plus. I have large hands, its just super uncomfortable and the reduced screen real estate is quite annoying.

Which is why I’ll be going for the 8 Plus!

The X is a superb idea, but it’s size is the biggest issue for me... My wife’s old iPhone 6 looks like a child’s toy in my hands haha

GoFlex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
Thanks for everyones posts! Keep them coming, love seeing all your thoughts.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Which is why I’ll be going for the 8 Plus!

The X is a superb idea, but it’s size is the biggest issue for me... My wife’s old iPhone 6 looks like a child’s toy in my hands haha

I am going to give the X a week so I can adjust. When looking at my old 6+ it's just so much more comfortable to read since it's wider, and holding it is also much more comfortable...

GoFlex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
I am going to give the X a week so I can adjust. When looking at my old 6+ it's just so much more comfortable to read since it's wider, and holding it is also much more comfortable...

Let me know how it goes!

GoFlex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
How do all of you get on with the notch when watching videos? I kind of like it as a design factor, but I'm concerned about if I notice it too much in full-screen, and if it's in original aspect ratio it's only the size of an iPhone 8 roughly

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How do all of you get on with the notch when watching videos? I kind of like it as a design factor, but I'm concerned about if I notice it too much in full-screen, and if it's in original aspect ratio it's only the size of an iPhone 8 roughly

The Notch and watching videos is a very sensitive topic for some. It doesn't bother me at all. But I also don't Watch a lot of videos. It's a non issue for me, by I could see how it would be annoying to others.

Buckeye2009

macrumors member
May 10, 2017
Columbus, OH
I own both and have been going back and forth between the two but no more.

The 8+ wins, if just for the keyboard. Both are great phones but going back and forth between the two is hard so I picked my favorite and am selling the X today.

I have been going back and forth with both phones for just over a week now and one minute I keeping the 8+ then it's the X....I think I have finally decided to stick with the X. Finding that I prefer Face-ID over the home button and using one-handed is easier on X. I will miss the larger screen of the plus but the X feels better in my hand.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
What would you guys go for/gone for?

iphone-x-iphone-8-plus-100737887-large.jpg

It's all about screen width.

Forget all the other factors, those come in later. Your first decision is: Do you want a phone that has the width of the Plus or the width of a standard iPhone? The X has a bigger screen than the Plus but that's not what you'd think in the real world. The X is bigger than the Plus in vertical space, but horizontally it's no contest.

I went from the 6 to the X and I'm thrilled because I am used to the smaller width and I appreciate the additional height. Many people who own the Plus seem to dislike the narrower screen and smaller font.

Reactions: Ian.C

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
i keep telling myself that i love the iPhone X. Face ID is not faster than touch id. By the time you have your face to the phone with touch id it is already unlocked (providing you press the button on the way up) I gave my wife the 8+ i bought and get on it from time to time to see the differences and what i like about them and whatnot. I like the display on the X but like the wider size on the 8+. The X's app/safari user interfaces are smooth and look nice but also lacking of the appropriate width to gain a proper view IMO of the entire webpage or iBook or certain apps. If the Display wasn't better on the X I would be using the 8+.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I avoided all the + models because I didn't like the huge bezels and the devices were really too big for me. Currently my 8 and X are fine for my needs.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
I went with the 8 Plus because I don’t have to worry about the screen burning out. Also the longer battery life, and TouchID works faster than FaceID and is more discreet. I couldn’t care less about gimicks like Animoji and such.

I keep and use my phones for many years though. If I upgraded every year or two I might have gone with the X. There’s no doubt the smaller footprint of the X is more comfortable to carry around.
[doublepost=1516392192][/doublepost]
How is it more secure?

Hes literally harping on a tech reviewers opinion and voice which is why he seemed so vague without proper reasoning.

Both faceid and touchid are secure ive used both 8+ and X. Whilst i like faceid to some extent in the way it works IT IS abit slower compared to touchid hands down.

This is comig from a regular power user.

As for the foot print of the X the screen is more like 5.6” rather than 5.8” taking into account the notch part removing part of the real estate. Battery life wise i find the 8 Plus better than X if you really asked me. I found the X drops way too fast. Most notably due to extra pixels over the 8 Plus... approximately 600k more pixels. If u do the math

So whilst they have same batt capacity the higher eesoltion of the iPhone X alone contributes to faster drain of battery which is why sometimes the flagships of samsung tend to drain way too quick despite a larger and heftier battery. Im taking screen use into account since thats the main culprit of battery drain and is dependent on each users personal usage. For my case im a power user i ise my phone to death alot since i paid so much for it. And i feel the 8+ batt life trounces X for the reasons above (same usage patterns)

But that being said if you value portability then obviously the X is the one to go for. It depends on your wants out of a phone

Reactions: 5105973

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
X no question. After not having a home button, I could never go back.

Agree with this, I would never go back.

The 7 was too small, 7 plus far too large... the X is the perfect phone size/layout.

I disagree about FaceID being slower. Sure, in a side by side race it is but in practical terms it just disappears for me. I pick up the phone and it is unlocked and ready to use.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
The keyboard size alone is the reason I would never buy an X-sized iPhone. I have enough trouble typing on my 8+. I can’t imagine going to a smaller keyboard.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I own both and have been going back and forth between the two but no more.

The 8+ wins, if just for the keyboard. Both are great phones but going back and forth between the two is hard so I picked my favorite and am selling the X today.

Question for you, if like me your used to the 4.7” screen, would the X screen keyboard but the same experience if not a slight upgrade?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I’d get the 8+ for that exceptional battery ! But, the X has a great feel (& heft, imo) and that swipe up to close apps is a killer feature!

I have to charge my X around noon every work day, but could easily go thru the entire day with around 20% or more remaining on the 8+. It may sound trivial, but having to recharge at mid day has been a real PITA! Now, I just keep the damn thing on a wireless charger at my desk!

I also find typing easier on the 8+. Face ID is great, but touch ID is better imo.

Aesthetically, I like the X and the 8+ for functionality.

Having said that, the X is very good, but if HAD to just stick with one...it’d be the 8+

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I look at it this way. The main focus of the film/video/movie/show is in the center of the frame. That is where I am looking. If the notch cuts off some unimportant item in the periphery, I'm not looking there anyway. To me it's much to do about nothing.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Question for you, if like me your used to the 4.7” screen, would the X screen keyboard but the same experience if not a slight upgrade?

Please rephrase the question.
[doublepost=1516563357][/doublepost]
I have been going back and forth with both phones for just over a week now and one minute I keeping the 8+ then it's the X....I think I have finally decided to stick with the X. Finding that I prefer Face-ID over the home button and using one-handed is easier on X. I will miss the larger screen of the plus but the X feels better in my hand.

What is great is Apple give us both great choices.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland

I'm not who you asked, but if I understood your question correctly (in the quote but=be, right?), then I'd say yes. Quite similar but at least to me it feels somewhat easier to type. Could just be placebo, though.

For the record, I switched to the X from an iPhone 7.

Reactions: apolloa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.