Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I have an X as of last week. I came from an 6s Plus and using a Plus today was just archaic, IMO. I had to help a user with her phone and that square screen and I instinctually looked to swipe up to go home and swipe up and hold for multi-tasking. That's not to say the Plus models are useless, but I can't see myself going back to a non X model down the road.

Funny I switched from a Plus exactly a week ago as well. While I dont care for the X screen size and weird shape, I dont want to go to a Plus model for same reasons. The huge bezels always bothered me as a huge waste of potential screen space. I will DEFINITELY be getting the 6.5" X Plus (or whatever its called) in the Fall and just deal with X screen until then.
[doublepost=1516915529][/doublepost]
If you can just wait for the 2018 models then wait, if you must buy then buy the iPhone 8 or iPhone 8+ the iPhone X is going to be discontinue this year,

I dont understand why people keep saying this like it matters?

Do you think Apple will run out of repair parts or something?

Last edited:

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Funny I switched from a Plus exactly a week ago as well. While I dont care for the X screen size and weird shape, I dont want to go to a Plus model for same reasons. The huge bezels always bothered me as a huge waste of potential screen space. I will DEFINITELY be getting the 6.5" X Plus (or whatever its called) in the Fall and just deal with X screen until then.

No Apple will have parts but Apple listen to us what we like and dislike so they will accommodate us, we are not saying it just to be negative we like Apple product thats the reason we buy them and we are here on this forum hopping Apple read it to and see what the Apple buyers like

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
No Apple will have parts but Apple listen to us what we like and dislike so they will accommodate us, we are not saying it just to be negative we like Apple product thats the reason we buy them and we are here on this forum hopping Apple read it to and see what the Apple buyers like

I am sorry I dont understand why you would say to buy the old 8/8+ design over an X because it might be discontinued?

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

No kidding. Apparently apple stopped supporting the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 too

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you can just wait for the 2018 models then wait, if you must buy then buy the iPhone 8 or iPhone 8+ the iPhone X is going to be discontinue this year,

The Only time the iPhone X will be discontinued, is with the announcement of the new 2018 iPhone X 5.8/6.5. Once the new iPhones are announced, then Apple will discontinue the current iPhone X in all likeliness.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I am sorry I dont understand why you would say to buy the old 8/8+ design over an X because it might be discontinued?

my answer to you is my opinion I like the big size of the iPhone 8+ don't like the notch dont like the size of the X I bought the 8+ to my son after compare it to the X but if you like the X size and can live with it features of it then it for you

Last edited:

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Do not ask other people's opinions. Do not rely on posts on forums. This is a decision you need to make based on your own personal needs / likes. Go and compare the two phones and see for yourself which one would best suit your needs. After all, it's going to be YOUR phone, you need to be comfortable with what your using.

This is exactly right. Some people on here love the Plus and others hate the size. Only YOU can decide which is more comfortable and right for you and what you're comfortable spending. They are both great phones and I've owned both. But it took me owning the 8 Plus for the last 4 months for me to realize that I really don't care for the size. If not for that aspect I probably would have kept it until the 2nd gen X. But I knew I ultimately wanted to get the new design.

Bobby dazzler

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013
Been thinking about getting the iPhone 8 Plus or X on the iPhone Upgrade program. However I can't decide which one!
I have the iPhone 6 after selling my 7 Plus because I wanted a smaller phone for a bit, but now I miss the big phone.

Basically on the upgrade program, with the initiation fee, it's about £50 a month for the iPhone 8 Plus and about £12.50 more a month for the iPhone X (so £62.50). It's not that much of a price difference (about £130 more after 11 months). I personally really like the iPhone X's screen quality with it's OLED display, I'm just unsure if I can justify spending £12.50 more a month just on a screen.

What would you guys go for/gone for?
iPhone X
No contest! Seriously, it's SOOOOOO much better.

Reactions: Archer1778

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
To update you all, I went with the X. Arriving tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think in a few days?

Congrats on making a decision. Give the X 7-10 days to get used to using it and let Face ID learn your face before you pass judgement. It has taken me 10 days to get used to the strange size but now I would not go back to a Plus as I like the features of the X (just wish it was bigger).

If you wear eyeglasses, be sure to do the initial training WITHOUT them on. I had an initial issue of it not recognizing me without the eyeglasses. I read to reset face ID and train that way first.

Also, When Face ID fails to recognize your face, you’re asked to enter your passcode. Instead of dismissing the passcode screen and trying Face ID again, it’s better to enter your passcode. When you enter your passcode, Face ID adds the previous face that it failed to recognize to its algorithm of accepted faces.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I love my iPhone 7+ but carried a spare iPhone 6 for when I needed a smaller phone, and also so I could keep my phone on my ear while looking something up on the other. I found this easier than carrying my iPad Mini 4 with the iPhone 7+ ($15/mo with ATT Family plan vs $10 for iPad). But I preferred to keep my primary number in the 7+ in case I had to go with only one device.

So when it came time to upgrade, I didn't want both a 7+ and an 8+, and I picked the X and gave up the 6. The only difference is that now I have the X set as my primary phone for calls, and it goes everywhere in my pocket, while the 7+ acts as my optional "iPad Nano" that I can use for surfing and emails or movies/game in order to preserve my primary phone's battery. I may go out with only one device, and I have the X with me.

A lot of the good points about the 8+ were made, already, especially the extra screen realestate. The main benefit of the X with Face ID is the way that it pre-fills login info into my 3rd party apps, so it's much faster to log into 3rd party apps with the X when it skips a step of not making me click a login button. I can also be wearing heavy winter gloves, and look at my phone and say, "Hey Siri, open camera", and then take a photo with the side button. I just wish they had a face ID tweak to turn the page in an eBook, or scroll down a page. I'd take the X over the 8 any day, but the 8+ would have been a harder choice if I didn't already have a 7+.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Ok I decided to upgrade my iPhone 6S+ to a new one, went to my ATT store to see if buy one get one free will do, buy it
look like a hokes. I have 4 line unlimited data none under contract, they want to give you the extra iPhone only on new additional line its mean I will have now 5 lines. so no thanks I am going to the Apple store will buy unlocked one.
now i will play with the X but i don't really happy with that one, I like to buy the 8+ but I open minded.
will update you guys when I buy it and why I chose the one

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Ok I decided to upgrade my iPhone 6S+ to a new one, went to my ATT store to see if buy one get one free will do, buy it
look like a hokes. I have 4 line unlimited data none under contract, they want to give you the extra iPhone only on new additional line its mean I will have now 5 lines. so no thanks I am going to the Apple store will buy unlocked one.
now i will play with the X but i don't really happy with that one, I like to buy the 8+ but I open minded.
will update you guys when I buy it and why I chose the one

with cellular carriers the only way to get a deal is just go back and forth between them if you can.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
with cellular carriers the only way to get a deal is just go back and forth between them if you can.

I wish, my experience with them always ended bad, why do you thing I have 4 line with "out of contract"? so I can go any minute I can, I with them for over 15 years my bill for 4 line + AW is over $220 a month.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I wish, my experience with them always ended bad, why do you thing I have 4 line with "out of contract"? so I can go any minute I can, I with them for over 15 years my bill for 4 line + AW is over $220 a month.

Yikes thats a LOT for 4 lines. Check out T-Mobile or Verizon both are far cheaper (Verizon has 4 lines for $160/month)

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I love my iPhone 7+ but carried a spare iPhone 6 for when I needed a smaller phone, and also so I could keep my phone on my ear while looking something up on the other.

why couldn’t you just use a headphone?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
X pros:

OLED display with better resolution/contrast/color.

Reduced bezels.

Modern design.

Gestures.

8 Plus pros:

No PWM, which can cause eye strain and headaches on the X for those sensitive.

Larger display area for content/video a majority of the time.

TouchID is faster than FaceID at this point.

Home button still feels second nature. (Toss up with X gestures, both have their pluses but gestures are the future.)

Reactions: 5105973

HereIsTom

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2017
Netherlands
The reasons why I did not buy X but an iPhone 8 Plus;

8+ has a larger screen (16:9 movies)
The battery of the 8+ lasts much longer.
For the time being, find touch ID finer working (in the dark, etc.)
Price

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
The reasons why I did not buy X but an iPhone 8 Plus;

8+ has a larger screen (16:9 movies)
The battery of the 8+ lasts much longer.
For the time being, find touch ID finer working (in the dark, etc.)
Price

Just an FYI, Face ID works fine in the dark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.