Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Good thinking.

1 -- I agree, but i rarely watch video on my Plus so ultimately it didn't matter. I use my TV, Tablet, or laptop for videos
2 -- Agree. However, once I adjusted I noticed how silly the Plus size is due to the stupidly large bezels that just waste a TON of potential screen space.
3 -- What notch? I dont even notice it anymore. :)
4 -- I love Face ID, maybe more than Touch ID. But both do the job so it's a preference. It's a bit scary you dont lock your phone at all...
5 -- Agree. It is over priced!

I agree with your decision but I decided to give the X a 2 week trial as I was feeling just like you about the X. At first I loathed the screen size of the X, but I adjusted to it and it's fine. I try to see it as a phone and not a phablet (I am a phablet person). I prefer Face ID and the swiping gestures once I adjusted in ~3 days.

I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Plus when I already had a Plus for years and it's just the same old thing. In the end I am glad i gave the X a 2 week trial as I really like the new approach. I will absolutely swap it out for the X Plus in October 2018 though as I love phablets :D

Yes, gestures are going to confuse the non-technologically inclined people -- I have advised all of them to buy iPhone 8/8+ while they still can!

You and Atilla both make good points. I usually carry two devices with me. I used my 7+ as a phablet, and I also carried a smaller 6 for looking things up while on the phone (or for saving my 7+ battery level to last thru an 18 hour day).

Then I replaced my 6 with an X, and after a few days I ended up making the smaller X my primary phone instead of the larger phablet. I like the face ID and how it integrates with 3rd party apps better than touch ID, and I like the new gestures.

I still carry both around. I can go places with the smaller X all by itself, or I can leave it in my pocket and use my 7+ for most of my web surfing and video watching or GPS. When the X+ comes out I'll replace the 7+ and keep the smaller X and the X+ (or whatever they call it).

I do know that if I didn't already have the 7+ I would have bought the 8+ instead of the X. My X was $300 more than my daughter's new 8, but I got a better camera, better screen, and face ID for that. So an 8 was never in the running.

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I have the 8 and the X - different use cases for each, but my main sim is in the X. I do like how much smaller and lighter the 8 is, though.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Face ID works way better than Touch ID for me. Maybe it's because I have sweaty hands. On a daily basis, Touch ID would fail about 10% of the time. Face ID has never failed. It's incredible. The only time it doesn't work is when I try to check notifications while the phone is still laying in my desk. I forget that it has to see my face lol.

Reactions: WannaGoMac

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Face ID works way better than Touch ID for me. Maybe it's because I have sweaty hands. On a daily basis, Touch ID would fail about 10% of the time. Face ID has never failed. It's incredible. The only time it doesn't work is when I try to check notifications while the phone is still laying in my desk. I forget that it has to see my face lol.

I have found it more reliable as well, though I was using version one of Touch ID.

Touch ID NEVER worked during or after I exercised, if my hand was at all sweaty, or if i had dry skin, or if it was at all damp, etc.

Reactions: Nisaja

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
How much better?
I don’t think either phone is objectively better. It just comes down to personal preference, you really have to try both.

If you’re asking about specific specs like battery life, in my anecdotal experience the Plus lasts a few hours longer. Comes in handy when traveling or away from a charger for lengthy periods.

Reactions: akash.nu

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I have found it more reliable as well, though I was using version one of Touch ID.

Touch ID NEVER worked during or after I exercised, if my hand was at all sweaty, or if i had dry skin, or if it was at all damp, etc.

Exactly. It's so annoying when you gotta wipe the home button after trying 3 times, or bite the bullet and enter the password lol. Face ID works every single time. It's almost unreal. Maybe it scanned my face pretty well. Not missing Touch ID one bit!

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I don’t think either phone is objectively better. It just comes down to personal preference, you really have to try both.

If you’re asking about specific specs like battery life, in my anecdotal experience the Plus lasts a few hours longer. Comes in handy when traveling or away from a charger for lengthy periods.

Few hours of screen on time or standby time? I'm not happy with the X's battery life. Feeling stupid for blowing $1000 that only lasts a few mins longer than my old 7 Plus.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Few hours of screen on time or standby time? I'm not happy with the X's battery life. Feeling stupid for blowing $1000 that only lasts a few mins longer than my old 7 Plus.
I'm impressed with X battery though it might be because my plus battery was 9 months old. I'm going 2 days with light use before a recharge. Easily a whole day with medium use.

In any case I have an amazing Anker battery back I carried for my plus anyway.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
In my experience you might get 2 more hours of screen time. However this is anecdotal and Apple’s spec page doesn’t reflect that. They do show longer battery life for the 8 Plus in some categories but not others, I’d have to double check.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I don't find it overpriced and face ID works fine on mine whether it's pitch dark or sunny.

Apple did right not every one will like the X and every one with his reasons, there for they made the 8 and the 8+
remember there are older people that it will be hard for them to adjust to the new X,
and we do need to respect every ones chose .

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012

Yep! The amazing battery life is one of the biggest reasons I got the 8 Plus! I wanted more battery than the first generation edge to edge display phone from Apple.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
So you bought the X sorely for the expectation of longer battery life than your 7 Plus.

That's one reason, yes. The battery life on my 7 Plus went to crap after updating to iOS 11. Tried clean installing and setting up as new. Nothing worked. Battery health was at 98% so it wasn't that.

I was hoping the X would last longer than the 8 Plus, because it destroys the 8 Plus in YouTube battery tests. I was wrong.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
That's one reason, yes. The battery life on my 7 Plus went to crap after updating to iOS 11. Tried clean installing and setting up as new. Nothing worked. Battery health was at 98% so it wasn't that.

I was hoping the X would last longer than the 8 Plus, because it destroys the 8 Plus in YouTube battery tests. I was wrong.

The one biggest feature of the X for battery life is wireless charging. Keep a few good wireless chargers around your house, car, etc. and I guarantee you won’t complain about battery life anymore.
[doublepost=1517981765][/doublepost]

Also, you have to realize you’re comparing a Plus phone to a regular-sized iPhone. The Plus X will get great battery life.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
That's true. I didn't like wireless charging because I thought it was a gimmick. Wired charging is more preferable because I can use my phone while charging. Can't use it while it's on a charging pad. But just keeping it on a charging pad while I'm not using it makes way more sense. I wonder if constantly taking it on an off the charging bad is bad for the battery.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
That's true. I didn't like wireless charging because I thought it was a gimmick. Wired charging is more preferable because I can use my phone while charging. Can't use it while it's on a charging pad. But just keeping it on a charging pad while I'm not using it makes way more sense. I wonder if constantly taking it on an off the charging bad is bad for the battery.

Get a wireless charging stand so you can use it at your desk. The stand from Samsung is great.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Just for reference about your battery life, monitor your battery statistics to see what's contributing to the life and your user settings will make a difference if adjusted. I find Low Power Mode also makes it a significant improvement with battery life.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

The YouTube battery tests are all done at full brightness and so that’s why the X beats the 8+, but if it’s set to a more typical brightness level of 25-50% of Max then the + phones just might go longer.

I’m at 25% brightness indoors right now on my 7+ and it’s almost too bright. Outdoors it might increase to max with sunlight, but when I go back inside my auto-dimming drops it back to 25% of max.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
The YouTube battery tests are all done at full brightness and so that’s why the X beats the 8+, but if it’s set to a more typical brightness level of 25-50% of Max then the + phones just might go longer.

I’m at 25% brightness indoors right now on my 7+ and it’s almost too bright. Outdoors it might increase to max with sunlight, but when I go back inside my auto-dimming drops it back to 25% of max.

Oh yeah. Good point. Is the OLED panel on the X more efficient at full brightness?

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Just for reference about your battery life, monitor your battery statistics to see what's contributing to the life and your user settings will make a difference if adjusted. I find Low Power Mode also makes it a significant improvement with battery life.

It's WhatsApp and telegram lol. My usage is the same. It's just that the 8 Plus got better battery life than the X. I expected the X to last longer, being the flagship phone.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
It's WhatsApp and telegram lol. My usage is the same. It's just that the 8 Plus got better battery life than the X. I expected the X to last longer, being the flagship phone.

What is strange is that the iPhone X is both physically smaller and has a larger battery compared to the plus. Maybe the FaceID scanning is what uses up the battery faster?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Dont follow you. are you saying thats why X doesnt last as long as a Plus??

No I mean that in order to make space, Apple use a two story concept on their main/logic board (PCB). As a result of this, you opened up space that was filled up with more battery cells.

This is a representation on how it works
pcb-stacking-parallel-bottom-entry-sockets-2.png

Here is a real work application of it
00A21011.JPG

iPhone application of stacked PCB:
Mainboard%203%203D%20x%20800_1509726758.png

board-1-components-iphone-x-irunway.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.