iPhone 8 Pre-Orders Still Expected in September, But Shipments Likely Delayed Until 'Several Weeks Later'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's widely rumored trio of new iPhones, including traditional 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models and an all-new 5.8-inch model with an OLED display, will likely be available to pre-order in September, but deliveries of the 5.8-inch model will not begin until "several weeks later," says longtime Apple analyst Brian White.

[​IMG]

An excerpt from White's research note with investment banking firm Drexel Hamilton, obtained by MacRumors:
    White, who is currently in Taiwan to garner information from Apple's supply chain, cited a "smartphone contact" who is "diligently following the supply chain data points" around the tentatively named "iPhone 8" as the source of his information, so it's not a completely baseless prediction.

In fact, White's prediction lines up exactly with recent supply chain information gathered by the research arm of Barclays. The bank similarly expects Apple's first iPhone with an OLED display to launch in September, but it believes the majority of stock may not be available until later in the fourth quarter.

Together, the predictions suggest that shipping estimates for Apple's tenth-anniversary iPhone, which has been variously dubbed the iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPhone Pro, or iPhone Edition, could slip to several weeks out just minutes after pre-orders begin, much like the iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black last year.

As usual, it might be hard to get your hands on the highest-end iPhone prior to the holidays, but it likely won't be impossible.

Chinese-language Economic Daily News recently said the "iPhone 8" might not launch whatsoever until October or November, as suppliers are supposedly encountering "technical issues" related to the display lamination process, while challenges exist in integrating the 3D sensing front camera system.

However, of the two scenarios, it seems more likely that at least some quantities of the "iPhone 8" will be available to pre-order in September alongside the tentatively named iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Pre-Orders Still Expected in September, But Shipments Likely Delayed Until 'Several Weeks Later'

2. Sunny1990, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

These rumors pop up every year,only time will tell,meanwhile i am having some good time with my iPhone 7 Plus, i am in no hurry :D
    IMG_0140.JPG

3. WatchFromAfar macrumors 68000

WatchFromAfar

Please no more "Anniversary iPhone" posts. When the original iPhone was introduced at Macworld Expo January 9th 2007, and the rumours from 3 days ago say the iPhone 8 may not ship until November, how on earth can it be an anniversary iPhone? If it indeed ships in November (I doubt it) it will be 3/4 closer to an 11 year iPhone. Anniversaries mean nothing to Apple.

4. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

omg enough, can we all just agree no one knows and lets wait till September to find out geeeez

5. Jbusick7944 macrumors regular

I believe the render at the top of this article is 99.99% what it will look like. But I also think that part of the screen where touch ID lives will be more of a function area ala MBP touch bar than an actual extension of the screen. My $0.02

6. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

every day another change of mind about next iPhone I know its good to think things but enough lets just wait and see

7. lyngo macrumors 6502a

And in other news, water is still wet and I am going to keep enjoying my iPhone 7.

8. Gooberton macrumors 65816

I'll Have my money ready. I'll be up at 3am on the app and I'll be one of the first like always, already excited 6 months out!!

9. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

It was the same last year with the IPhone 7 and 7 Plus. The iPhone 8 will probably sell out even quicker than that for its first batch being as it's rumoured to be a big upgrade.

10. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Eh, I'm on their yearly update cycle. So I'll get it when I get it. Still excited, even if I have to wait an extra month or so.

11. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Oh, the hilarity of worries about weeks of waiting 5 months out...

:D

12. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Am I the only one who thinks all the bezel-free renders look terrible? Especially with the grid of icons in iOS, it just looks awful.

13. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

It's the same pattern every year. 40 articles with speculation won't change the fact that EVERY TIME there's a certain group of people who get it on the first day (midnight preorders and Apple Upgrade people), then a supply constraint that works its way out around Christmas. They will almost certain not be delayed until January like the article the other day tried to claim, and of course many won't ship until "several weeks later" because they didn't get into the portal at 12:01 PST.

14. malexandria Suspended

15. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Talking about shipping dates when we're at least 6 months out? Nothing but a wild ass guess.

16. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Something will eventually stick on that wall.

17. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I hope the aspect ratio is NOT 18.5:9 or something ridiculous like that. Just stick to 16:9.

18. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Its going to be a unicorn looks like. Good luck getting it the first 4 months.

19. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

It's delayed already and it's not even out? Sounds like the Apple of late...wait a minute..Déjà vu

20. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Apple has never done an "anniversary" edition of any product, the press need to stop calling the iPhone 8 that. It's just iPhone 8, nothing limited or special about it, just the next iPhone design that will be used for 3-4 years

21. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

Wow, Apple has done one better, can't even order, no official announcement, and they are already delayed...lol

22. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Sure they will.. C'mon, you guys should know by now which rumors are bogus and which ones are worth reporting on.

23. Nabby51 macrumors member

Note to Apple: Your iOS operating system is boring. And at times clunky.

One example is the Notification Center. Light it on fire and redesign it. It's useless to me when I get 10+ emails back to back. It becomes cluttered and no other notifications are easily visible.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Nothing new here. But, I really hope Apple has a plan to help alleviate shipments this year. With the way things are shaping up, if they can meet the demand for orders, that's half the battle.