Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
All the curved glass screens accomplish is light reflection. It make the screen hard to read. I see no point in using a curved glass screen. I don't think I would EVER buy one. I tried a Samsung, and absolutely hated it.
I know, but apple has to do someting about these bezels. I don' t like them. And since they will still be using the 2.5d front glass that is slightly curved, they will have to find middle ground, they could curve/curl the 2.5d front glass a little bit more downwards, so the curved sides would be less visible when you hold the phone in front of you and let the screen fill the entire flat surface without curves. That is also an option.
[doublepost=1487768398][/doublepost]What is really strange is that samsung has had curved oled screens for almost 3 years now, and that they are not good enough for apple or don' t live up to apple' s standards.
While apple and samsung have a contract en no one else can deliver curved oleds or regular oleds in these quantities other than samsung for now.
It has apple by the throath because of this, and samsung could have decided they want to be the only manufacturer with curved screens for one more year to have one extra distinctive "feature "( not for me though) that apple doesn' t have. And now the curved displays that samsung should deliver to apple have " issues" . Mmmmm.
So your main competitor can' t quite deliver the feature that could make their own smartphone more competitive.
And apple can' t go to another supplier yet for this year, samsung gets a small penalty for not quite delivering what they should deliver....

Last edited:

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
I too can ask you the same thing. Apple offers annual software updates and its iWork's suite for free. Why doesn't Microsoft give away Windows and office for free?

I was a Windows PC user for 20 years before switching to a Mac and I haven't looked back since.

My Apple devices cost more upfront, no doubt, but they have more than paid for themselves in the form of greater productivity and fewer problems overall.

I could save some money by getting out of the Apple ecosystem no doubt, but I don't think the hit to the user experience would be worth it. Simply put - you couldn't pay me enough to switch.

Windows 10 was a FREE upgrade for a year, Windows 10 is FREE to anyone with any accessibility needs, Windows 10 is a service continually updated with security updates and twice a year withe "new feature" updates for FREE for the life of that device, Windows 10 is licensed to that device for life. Windows 10 is guaranteed backward compatible for life of that device. Windows 10 is FREE for any student/staff that has Dreamspark (Windows 10 Education).

Office Online is FREE, and student.faculty can get Office in Education and anywhere from 2 to 5PC+5MAC+ unlimited iPad installs of Office 365 which comes with 1TB Onedrive FREE. People who pay for office may pay $9 per month for the best office suite that also comes with 1TB of OneDrive space..Onedrive has a Music folder that syncs with Groove and can build AI selected playlist out of your MP3 collection FREE, if you subscribe access to world largest music catalog over 40,000,000 songs. Windows Store ...buy ONCE get up to 10 Installs for you and others.... includes things like Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Appl: Free OSX upgrades until the device ages out. Apl charges $25 for basic iCloud functionality like match service (others do free) measly 2GB of free and makes users buy expensive storage. Sub par basic apps. Sub par AI, lock in, pay for basics

You were a 20 year user away from Windows, explains a lot. Add up your apl stuff and you will see you paid a pound of flesh for made up " just works" argument/claim, PCs "just work" and run the planet, no pound of flesh needed. Choice of device form factors much greater than Apl stuff. Best apps in Apl app store are Microsoft ones...that's just sad many say "see ya" going to 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladybug

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You were a 20 year user away from Windows, explains a lot. Add up your apl stuff and you will see you paid a pound o flesh for made up " just wors" , PCs "just work" and run the planet, no pound of flesh needed.
Sorry, PCs worked, but they didn't work for me the way I wanted them to work.

My experience with Apple products has taught me one basic tenet - I would rather spend a little more on something I know will serve me well, rather than spend a little less on something I know won't work as well for me.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
Sorry, PCs worked, but they didn't work for me the way I wanted them to work.

My experience with Apple products has taught me one basic tenet - I would rather spend a little more on something I know will serve me well, rather than spend a little less on something I know won't work as well for me.

Fair enough, again add up your apl stuff over the years and think about the sanity of that. 20 years of paying Apl inc for "just works" that is a lot of Apl stuff. Suggesting that is a good path is not assured of being good advice. Especially today. At risk users created daily..they escape.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Fair enough, again add up your apl stuff over the years and think about the sanity of that. 20 years of paying for "just works" that is a lot of Apl stuff. Suggesting that is a good path is not assured of being good advice. Especially today.

And what exactly is wrong with that?

To be more specific, I was a windows user for 20 years. I switched to an iMac in 2011 and have embraced the Apple ecosystem ever since.

I am currently using an iPhone 6S+, 9.7" iPad Pro+Apple Pencil, Apple Watch, Airpods, 2011 27" iMac and 2012 11" MBA, plus an assortment of Apple TVs.

My 2011 iMac is still going strong after more than five years, which was more than could be said for my last two windows PCs. Throw in the convenience of not needing to maintain my Macs or deal with viruses, and the software suite which came bundled with macOS at the time. So total cost of ownership has not necessarily been any higher than Windows.

They all work well together, and that's what I have come to really appreciate. What other combination of computers, tablets and smartphones offer the same degree of integration as Apple products?

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
And what exactly is wrong with that?

To be more specific, I was a windows user for 20 years. I switched to an iMac in 2011 and have embraced the Apple ecosystem ever since.

I am currently using an iPhone 6S+, 9.7" iPad Pro+Apple Pencil, Apple Watch, Airpods, 2011 27" iMac and 2012 11" MBA, plus an assortment of Apple TVs.

My 2011 iMac is still going strong after more than five years, which was more than could be said for my last two windows PCs. Throw in the convenience of not needing to maintain my Macs or deal with viruses, and the software suite which came bundled with macOS at the time. So total cost of ownership has not necessarily been any higher than Windows.

They all work well together, and that's what I have come to really appreciate. What other combination of computers, tablets and smartphones offer the same degree of integration as Apple products?

Hint: Windows today does not get viruses, macs do there is a Garage Band one this week be careful until Apl secures your OS. So your maintenance claim is negated.

What do you mean by this "work together" claim, that you imagine does not exist in Windows 10?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hint: Windows today does not get viruses, macs do there is a Garage Band one this week be careful until Apl secures your OS. So your maintenance claim is negated.

What do you mean by this "work together" claim, that you imagine does not exist in Windows 10?

Passing files around with airdrop. Calling / SMS via continuity. iCloud for syncing. Unified UI between apps on iOS and OS X. AirPlay mirroring. The new W1 chip in the Airpods. Just to name a few.

Apple Watch is the best smartwatch in the market, and it works only with the iPhone.

Airpods works best when you use all Apple devices.

I use the iPad mirrored to my Apple TV in my classroom. The Apple Pencil is second to none when it comes to writing experience.

I have best of both worlds, such as iWork's and office, Maps and google maps, and so on.

So what's the equivalent on windows?

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
Passing files around with airdrop. Calling / SMS via continuity. iCloud for syncing. Unified UI between apps on iOS and OS X. AirPlay mirroring. The new W1 chip in the Airpods. Just to name a few.

Apple Watch is the best smartwatch in the market, and it works only with the iPhone.

Airpods works best when you use all Apple devices.

I use the iPad mirrored to my Apple TV in my classroom. The Apple Pencil is second to none when it comes to writing experience.

I have best of both worlds, such as iWork's and office, Maps and google maps, and so on.

So what's the equivalent on windows?

Microsoft account syncs between devices,messaging everywhere is in Beta, Skype can do multi users, Unified OneCore across all devices and scale for each device, UI handoff. Continuum. I'll give you the XI chip thing, but airpods are $180 bucks I'll spend $45 for better and do my own pairing. Leo Lapport (apl fanboi) reports airpods drop calls not good.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
The statement that Apple fans are locked into the system would not hold true for me, personally.

Any price for the next iPhone is going to be a bit of smoke and mirrors that hides the real cost of buying it, depending on what the phone really ends up having -and not having- as features. Will you need to buy new chargers for home or car because of iPhone changes? Headphones? What about the cost of buying Apple Care, since this product has new technology?

Now, if you believe other rumors Apple will also offer some form of 7s phones. What features get left off from the premium phone? How many levels of 7s will there be? What cords, adapters, chargers do you need for these phones? Is the cost low enough that you don't buy any product insurance-like Apple Care or someone else's?

Right now the people who know the real, factual answers to what will the next iPhone(s) be and how much will any iteration of them really cost aren't talking. And those that are talking are guessing. They may be well informed and researched guesses but the general public won't know for certain until next September.

For me, I am intrigued by some (reported) features, indifferent to others and willing to see what my options are with the Apple line. And if I really feel I would be getting ripped off I'll evaluate other phones from other companies. Cost will NOT be the only or even my primary factor, although it will obviously be a factor.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If its 64GB at 1000 like the article is suggesting I am bidding sayonara to ever buying an iPhone again
I'm with you there

If 64GB is 1,000 we are looking at 1,200 for 256GB? And that's the size I need now.

Let's hope Apple don't do this.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
My rule for RAM:

if you NEED 2. have 4.
if you need 4, have 8.
if you need 8, have 16

See the pattern.

RAM is like storage space. there will always be developers who will look to maximise and fill it if they can. and as technology progresses, RAM usage only goes up over time as stuff is added and programs get richer and more feature filled.

Providing ONLY the requirement for Today, does not give room to grow for tomorrow. if you wish to have your phone which you get today last till next year, or 2 years, or 5 years, its helpful to have more ram in it today than needed, and not just the bare minimum

YES, iOS is very efficient and does still run on 1gb. and runs pretty nicely on 2gb. But what technical limitation is there preventing 3? 4? or 5? if available?

Reactions: EdT

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
My rule for RAM:

if you NEED 2. have 4.
if you need 4, have 8.
if you need 8, have 16

See the pattern.

RAM is like storage space. there will always be developers who will look to maximise and fill it if they can. and as technology progresses, RAM usage only goes up over time as stuff is added and programs get richer and more feature filled.

Providing ONLY the requirement for Today, does not give room to grow for tomorrow. if you wish to have your phone which you get today last till next year, or 2 years, or 5 years, its helpful to have more ram in it today than needed, and not just the bare minimum

YES, iOS is very efficient and does still run on 1gb. and runs pretty nicely on 2gb. But what technical limitation is there preventing 3? 4? or 5? if available?

I also think this is a good general rule. Programs (apps) quickly expand to use all of the space available, unless phone apps are different from standard computer programs in some regard.

Reactions: LordVic

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Windows 10 was a FREE upgrade for a year, Windows 10 is FREE to anyone with any accessibility needs, Windows 10 is a service continually updated with security updates and twice a year withe "new feature" updates for FREE for the life of that device, Windows 10 is licensed to that device for life. Windows 10 is guaranteed backward compatible for life of that device. Windows 10 is FREE for any student/staff that has Dreamspark (Windows 10 Education).

Office Online is FREE, and student.faculty can get Office in Education and anywhere from 2 to 5PC+5MAC+ unlimited iPad installs of Office 365 which comes with 1TB Onedrive FREE. People who pay for office may pay $9 per month for the best office suite that also comes with 1TB of OneDrive space..Onedrive has a Music folder that syncs with Groove and can build AI selected playlist out of your MP3 collection FREE, if you subscribe access to world largest music catalog over 40,000,000 songs. Windows Store ...buy ONCE get up to 10 Installs for you and others.... includes things like Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Appl: Free OSX upgrades until the device ages out. Apl charges $25 for basic iCloud functionality like match service (others do free) measly 2GB of free and makes users buy expensive storage. Sub par basic apps. Sub par AI, lock in, pay for basics

You were a 20 year user away from Windows, explains a lot. Add up your apl stuff and you will see you paid a pound of flesh for made up " just works" argument/claim, PCs "just work" and run the planet, no pound of flesh needed. Choice of device form factors much greater than Apl stuff. Best apps in Apl app store are Microsoft ones...that's just sad many say "see ya" going to 10.
Windows 10 was the first "free" upgrade Microsoft gave away. I paid for every other upgrade. And nobody is discussing educational discounts or special deals. However "just works" apply to my phones, iPads, and macs...where is ms with their phones? is it any ecosystem people want to use en-masse?

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
With cloud storage being dirt cheap, I think 256GB is excessive. 64/128gb would be better.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
Windows 10 was the first "free" upgrade Microsoft gave away. I paid for every other upgrade. And nobody is discussing educational discounts or special deals. However "just works" apply to my phones, iPads, and macs...where is ms with their phones? is it any ecosystem people want to use en-masse?

Well for me I have a 950 and love it... for others not surprised since the last lumia release was a year and a half ago , its what they call re-trench, they will re-enter Mobile this time with Windows on ARM.... and not a gimped mobile OS, while they work on Windows Mobile..this opens up mobile to every potential x86 program...huge for business, cool for consumers , awesome for Windows Holographic, so stay tuned let Apl hope for Apls' sake the can tread at 12% global..if they go below 10% things will change.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you

What you speak of is called user experience. I have used Windows all my life. I continue to use Windows machines at work and at home while also embracing the Mac. I absolutely love my 5k iMac. However, I have never had any issues with any of my windows machines since Windows XP or Win7. I have a 2011 HP desktop (top of the line at that time) still going strong today. It has been upgraded to Windows 10 and performs really well. In my opinion, there isn't a superior OS today as both Microsoft and Mac make great solutions. The new Surface line is absolutely gorgeous and it shows just how far Microsoft has come in a few short years. I look forward to what both companies come out with in the coming years. Truly great tech.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
With cloud storage being dirt cheap, I think 256GB is excessive. 64/128gb would be better.

Cloud storage maybe cheap, but cloud isn't necessarily always an option for all storage.

for example: in Canuckistan, our Carriers often have extremely limited data plans for ridiculous amounts of money. Think 2gb for $90/mth.

if all you're doing is streaming and cloud, all the time, for everything. That 2gb is going to get destroy FAST. and at $2-$5/mb overage (depending on plan you're on), that racks up extremely fast when you're using the cloud for everything.

I like to have a good amount of local storage so that content that I want can sync on WiFi (Via Plex or Google Play music) and be usable offline so I am not using my data limit.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well for me I have a 950 and love it... for others not surprised since the last lumia release was a year and a half ago , its what they call re-trench, they will re-enter Mobile this time with Windows on ARM.... and not a gimped mobile OS, while they work on Windows Mobile..this opens up mobile to every potential x86 program...huge for business, cool for consumers , awesome for Windows Holographic, so stay tuned let Apl hope for Apls' sake the can tread at 12% global..if they go below 10% things will change.
That's if it works; I'm not interested.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
That's if it works; I'm not interested.

Won't matter as many will like NEW and more capable mobile, Smartphones are soon "legacy tech".

People only have so much "disposable " income...they cannot afford it all , so they typically buy what works for them. Too many here (and 12% globally still) they feel Apl is "the best" despite what they release to the public for purchase. That "disposable income " decision will become clearer very soon and I don't expect Apl to deviate course and will basically get aged out. Some will stay in Apl eco , others will try new/better.

Sort of like AOL when the Internet came, like that

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Won't matter as many will like NEW and more capable mobile, Smartphones are soon "legacy tech".

People only have so much "disposable " income...they cannot afford it all , so they typically buy what works for them. To many here they feel Apl is "the best" despite what they release.that decision will become cleary soon and I don't expect Apl to deviate and will basically get aged out.
Or won't matter. We'll see. I don't know how much disposable income people have, I only know what I have.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
Or won't matter. We'll see. I don't know how much disposable income people have, I only know what I have.

Around $1000 yearly for a personal toy /device (many finance that $1000, see iphone a year program)

Its OK your friends will show it off to you, while you make Apl work for you.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
(many finance that $1000, see iphone a year program)
I went with the iPhone a year program purely out of convenience, not for the purposes of "financing". I get to have a new phone every year without the hassle of actually trying to sell it. I'm sure I could make out better financially I did sell the phone myself instead of trading it in to Apple, but I'd rather pay to not have to. My choice, yours can and may differ!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.