Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I think to truly please all we'd also need to see a 5" bezel-less iPhone which would essentially be the size of the current SE.

I'm not against your idea, but you know how Apple is these days, you will have compromises like forgoing 3-4gb ram, dual camera, etc...
[doublepost=1487012999][/doublepost]
iPhone 7-like size with iPhone 7 Plus-like battery life would sell me on the 8 anyway. Add in OLED and all the other rumored goodies and ohhhhhh boy.

Only bad thing about this years iPhone 8 maybe the price, but as long as they deliver such a dream phone, I'm ok with paying for it.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Umm... Apple, use the readily available battery technology that doesn't allow batteries to explode when punctured. It's available here and now, there's no excuse not to use it!

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I don't care about price. I want the iPhone to continue to be very the best smartphone money can buy, and I'm willing to pay any price to ensure it remains at number one. Price considerations should never hold back innovation.
You say:

"Price considerations should never hold back innovation."

But you actually mean:

"Insane markups should never hold back innovation."

And I say:

"Insane markups are ridiculous and unjustified."

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
You know, I thought they'd eventually just place the logic board straight on top of a terraced-type battery, with a heat shield between the two.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
This is good news but in the future they should focus on emerging battery technologies, rather than trying to fit as much battery as possible into the design.

That "3-5 years" period will remain the same if large companies don't invest in some of the new battery technologies.
How about you provide some proof that they aren't? Because I'm certain they're doing exactly that w/ their R&D money. You know, because it's a core technology of all their products and they're smart like that.
[doublepost=1487014835][/doublepost]
It's f**king ridiculous that there are people b**ching in a post about an upcoming phone having a higher capacity battery.
Yup. All the hater complaining has really ruined the MR forums for me. I view the top posts and that's about as much as I can take.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I don't care about price. I want the iPhone to continue to be very the best smartphone money can buy, and I'm willing to pay any price to ensure it remains at number one. Price considerations should never hold back innovation.
Really? I want the phone I buy to be the best, don't really care if it’s Apple, Samsung or whatever.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Wow -- now that's cool. That just may be enough to get me to switch back to IOS from Android...
So non-exploding phones isn't enough?
[doublepost=1487014925][/doublepost]
Bigger battery would be nice but new design is still a must.
Why is that? Do you make the same demand of your DVD player? Stereo system? TV set? Porche? Nope. So what makes iPhone different?

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
This is good news but in the future they should focus on emerging battery technologies, rather than trying to fit as much battery as possible into the design.

That "3-5 years" period will remain the same if large companies don't invest in some of the new battery technologies.
What makes you think they aren't? Do you have insider knowledge about what's going on in Cupertino? I'm guessing They are working on that behind the scenes and use these space saving measures as interim tactics.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Bigger battery would be nice but new design is still a must.

Why, it is about technology, not about looks. I do not expect that the look is really going to change; into what should it change? The current form factor is fine, loose the home button, oled display, smaller rims, wireless charging , some new materials, faster GPU and CPU......and you have a great iPhone.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Why is that? Do you make the same demand of your DVD player? Stereo system? TV set? Porche? Nope. So what makes iPhone different?
Exactly. Good design is good design. Porche doesn't resdesign the 911 every year "just because". It's a classic design that endures.

Looking forward to the next design, and hope it sticks around for a while, just like the iPhone 4. That was a beauty, maybe Apple's most iconic and original iPhone design, and it didn't slip out of your hand the way the current one does. I've always wished they would have made a 5.5 inch phone with the iPhone 4 design. Some adjustments of course, but that would have been cool.

Maybe the next one could have some new material that gives it tacky/textured sides. That's the kind of design improvements I wish they'd focus on. Not just "form" and looks, but user experience. If a phone is too thin and slippery do be confidently used without a case, it's bad design.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway

Seriously? The iPhone is the top selling phone on the market every single year.. How on earth are you supposed to fit "emerging battery technology" into a phone that they need to produce in more than 100 million copies before the end of the year? That's impossible and Apple would not be remotely close to full fill demand and would loose a lot of money....

creediddy

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Too small for what? Mine is 5.2" and great but I have OLED so it helps and removable 3000mAh and sd and headphone jack and 20MP Carl Zeiss

When you are used to a Plus for the last 3 years you prefer that size. I would prefer Apple get to at least 5.9"/6" with the same 6/7 Plus form factor and not the 4.7" model form factor.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma

Academia and private industry invest millions, if not billions, of dollars into emerging battery technologies each year. Many great improvements have been discovered, but the issue quickly becomes how to manufacture them at scale, safely, and at a reasonable cost. That's where things break down quickly.

Reactions: Appleaker

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
You have a very particular set of personal acquaintances. Most people with a 4.7" iPhone posting here at Macrumors report that they make it through a day with some room to spare most of the time. And you can be certain that people that not make it through a day are more likely to report on it than those that do.

And rest assured that if your 4.7" battery lasts from 8 AM to maybe 3 PM, it would need to double in size to make it through a whole day, which probably meant something like a 3 mm increase in thickness.

I respectfully disagree with you and I would bet that most users wish they had more battery life rather than make the phone thinner. With that said, you know what would be an easy remedy rather than a battery double the size? A removable battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.