Iphone 8 struggling with only 3GB of ram?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Sep 22, 2017.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

some videos are coming out where the note 8 is beating the new iphone in multitasking. Is this due to the issue of IOS 11 not being able to help with 3GB of ram? having a samsung/android phone beating the iphone in multitasking was seen as impossible or unheard of. Should the ram be increased?

2. Andeddu macrumors newbie

For a flagship priced phone we should be looking at a minimum of 4GB RAM. iOS 11 does run well on my 6S however which I believe has only 2GB RAM so I wouldn’t worry too much. Apple’s software is always much better optimised than Android OS.

3. anubis1980 macrumors 6502

Might not be understanding, but thought the 8 only had 2gb ram?

4. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

The iPhone 8 only has 2gb ram, the Plus and the X have 3GB ram.

5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

You wish it had "only" 3 gb.
    It has 2

6. Andeddu macrumors newbie

Shocking. I'm thankfully OCD when it comes to closing down applications I'm not using so I don't think it's something I'd ever notice.

7. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

Change the article heading its misleading or close the thread. iPhone 8 has only 2GB Ram.

The iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X have 3GB ram.

8. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Good thing I don't multi task on the phone!

9. tatsuki macrumors member

tatsuki

I think it’s a rather silly test nobody uses their phone in that way, constantly cycling between 2-3 games and 6-7 apps, I never thought it was a good way to show iPhones were better than android either. However Apple has traditionally always won these tests, so it does demonstrate that throwing massive amounts of ram can help Android in some (unrealistic) situations against the iPhone. Heck my 6+ with 1gb ram still gets the job done pretty well!

10. xsimplyjosh macrumors regular

I'm sure the iPhone 7 and 8 /// 7+ and 8+ have the same ram respectively 2GB /// 3GB...

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Do you have a specific example? Is this real world usage or some test that simulates things the average person is never going to do?

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

but what if i forget my ritalin? how will i do something for longer than 3 seconds?

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Which videos? The 8 has 2GB by the way.

14. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

Does anyone seriously use their phone like that though? I mean how many apps do people really need running in the background on your phone? The most I use is having a game running and then maybe going out of it to check a message or e-mail that came in or checking something in Safari/Chrome, same usage pattern for me on iOS or Android.

15. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

These tests are silly at best. Don’t worry at all as long as you’ve got 2GB, you’re good. iOS is way more optimised to handle memory management. Also don’t forget, with subsequent releases it will get even more efficient.

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I didn’t put much stock in this type of testing when the iPhone trounced android and I don’t put much stock in it now.

It doesn’t reflect my type usage by any standard.

17. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

iOS 11 has plenty of flaws. frame rate issues. animation issues. I don't think iOS has been "optimized" for some time now.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's just a force of habit for me. When I'm done using an application, I immediately close it out. So Ram has never really been much of an issue in that sense for me.

19. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

This has no measurable benefit. In fact it’s been proven to increase battery drain.

20. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

iOS doesn't really benefit from this. Unless you allow those apps to use while in background.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Exactly. Which is why I close them out directly. I have no need to allow them to remain open. It's simple task managing.

22. Nozuka macrumors 68020

never close any apps unless they got some issues. never had RAM problems. iOS moves them out of RAM automatically if needed.

23. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

so you are closing the ones you gave the ability to run in the background? just disable that and spend 2.3 days less a year closing your apps. Very scientific I know

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You wouldn't know what that pending my usage. But Thanks for your scientific opinion. But I have my preferred methods of how I Control my applications which are more tasking than others, which doesn't take any more time than necessary which it would inconvenience me any less.

25. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/closing-apps-save-battery-makes-things-worse/

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-closing-multitasking-apps-battery-life-2017-7

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...e-its-not-making-it-run-faster-or-last-longer

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/831702/iPhone-Close-Apps

https://9to5mac.com/2016/03/10/should-you-quit-ios-apps-answer/