Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike-wazowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
hi all...

need help in a dilemma not sure how to do this. bought the kid an iphone [i use other brand, its a work thing]. want control over what and how things get downloaded to the kids iphone. the family has an ipad and apple tech told me as i was setting up the kids iphone to create the kid an icloud account and sign up for family plan so i can ok the apps the kids wants to download. i was using my appleid on the kids ipad but now that its his phone that will be with him all the time i didnt want my apple id on that device. however now when the kid is out of the house and say we are together but we left the ipad at home i cannot approve the app downloads he wants to make. until we go home : ( so that isnt a good solution. i thought of leaving it the way i describe above and if and when he wants to download an app i could log out of his account and log into my account on his iphone but that seems annoying.

the other thought i had was to see if i can approve the downloads via a website but that doesnt seem to be the case.

or could i just delete his appleid restore the phone and make a new appleid and

sign in with two apple ids one for appstore [which would be mine login and a prompt to always ask for password and leave his appleid for facetime / messaging etc... is the above possible?

also does anyone know if i delete his appleid will he lose his pokemon go data

or can anyone direct me as to the best course of action.

thank you!

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
hi all...

i was using my appleid on the kids ipad but now that its his phone that will be with him all the time i didnt want my apple id on that device. however now when the kid is out of the house and say we are together but we left the ipad at home i cannot approve the app downloads he wants to make. until we go home : ( so that isnt a good solution...

Let's stop here.

You started it correctly by using your kids Apple ID on their devices. Your iPad should be the only device with your own Apple ID. Then set up family sharing on your iPad, and choose the option of requiring approval from you for the App Store downloads. Don't forget in-app purchases too.

Now your question, what if you don't have your iPad with you, and your kids want to download an app? The answer is, easy! There is an option to enter YOUR (parents') password on the kids iPhone as approval.

In other words, kid first click "buy", kid enters password, then choose the option of approval by entering parent's password. You do that and it's done, all without you iPad at home.

Reactions: M. Gustave

mike-wazowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
THANKS for trying to help me. However, it only popsup "Ask Permission" it doesnt give me the option to enter parents pw : (

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Go ahead, proceed to "ask permission". I forgot exactly what it said after, but it will later let you choose to enter parent's password on kid's iPhone.

mike-wazowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
This is my dilemma it isnt asking offering another option to enter parents password :(
and i dont have an iphone or ipad with me ever unless i am with my kids and they are carrying the ipad and the new iphone at the same time. so when the kid is out by himself and needs me to ok the download if i am not home i cannot ok it and or if we are out together and all we have is the iphone i cant approve it since the ipad is home and that seems to be the ONLY location we get the notification to approve from.

:( what else can i try or do?

THANK YOU for the help!

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
There is no other option. The parent must approve the popup notice from a device set up on their Apple ID.

Is installing apps on the street really an issue? Why can't they wait until they get home??

mike-wazowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
not that big of a deal but if they wanted or needed an app they COULDNT get it in this scenario which is annoying.

is it possible to sign in with 2 apple ids at once on one phone?

thanks

mike-wazowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
is there a downside to this...?

here is what i did:

signed into itunes/appstore on his phone with my apple id
and everything else has his icloud id signed into on the phone

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.