Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
I've had my iPhone 4 since 2/7 from Verizon and I mentioned earlier in a forum that one night I went from 58% battery life to 7% over a 8-9 hr standby overnight.

I called apple and he had me do a hard reset and a reset of network settings. That following night I lost about 15%

Last night till about now I went from 62% when I went to bed at about 3am to 48% at about 1045am. about 14% - I even turned off all the apps in the background except messages.

Is this normal?

Also I noticed when I went to bed it said like 2 hrs and 10 mins of usage and about 6.5 hrs of standby. When I woke up it said 10 hrs 48 mins of usage and 14 hours and 48 mins of standby.

That doesn't even make sense.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Have you tried clearing your multitask? Sounds like an app that is still running in the background and probably accessing the internet.

jp70

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Palmdale, CA
Also I noticed when I went to bed it said like 2 hrs and 10 mins of usage and about 6.5 hrs of standby. When I woke up it said 10 hrs 48 mins of usage and 14 hours and 48 mins of standby.

No that is not normal. If there is nothing running you shouldn't lose more than say 5% in eight hours of stand by. Something must still be running in the back round. I just pulled my iPhone 2g out of the drawer and it has a full green battery (unable to get % on that model) and it has been on stand by for 2 days and 22 hours. That model is an battery hog compared to the iPhone 4. First you might try to turn off location services over night to see if that is the culprit. Some app may be sending your location over and over. Next, I'd suggest restore the phone with out any third party apps. Test it over night too see if your battery drain is still there.

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
One more question. Is it jailbroken? If so, it could be some apps in there causing it to act up.

If not then I would try a new restore if you have everything closed out and did a hard reset. If that doesn't work I would go up to apple and have them replace it. You shouldn't drain that fast off a new phone.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
One more question. Is it jailbroken? If so, it could be some apps in there causing it to act up.

If not then I would try a new restore if you have everything closed out and did a hard reset. If that doesn't work I would go up to apple and have them replace it. You shouldn't drain that fast off a new phone.

No it is not.

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hmm that seem to be a pretty high amount of battery decrease. Mine only goes down about 4% over an 8-9 hour period overnight

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do. Either go to VZW and swap it out or I'm going to my FL house in 2 weeks and they have an apple store at coconut point and have them look at it.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do. Either go to VZW and swap it out or I'm going to my FL house in 2 weeks and they have an apple store at coconut point and have them look at it.
You might try putting it in airplane mode tonight, that would certainly prove whether it is something that is accessing the internet or not.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
You might try putting it in airplane mode tonight, that would certainly prove whether it is something that is accessing the internet or not.

Thats uncalled for. Bottom line, it's a phone. I shouldn't have to put it in airport mode.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Doesn't sound right. It actually sounds like some of my old Verizon phones that had a very poor signal. They would search continuously for a signal and the battery would burn out in a matter of hours. Hopefully that's not the issue.

Not to rub salt into the wound but my AT&T iPhone only loses 1 or 2 percent. And I leave everything on, bluetooth, wifi, three email accounts, including synced exchange accounts etc.

Hopefully you can sort this out. :apple:

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
Do you have push email and push notifications active? I reckon my iphone 4 loses around 10% overnight (though I don't specifically check) and I have gmail set up as an exchange account. Standby times are clearly much better without push enabled

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Do you have push email and push notifications active? I reckon my iphone 4 loses around 10% overnight (though I don't specifically check) and I have gmail set up as an exchange account. Standby times are clearly much better without push enabled

I have WiFi always on, but I thought that saves battery, but WiFi also shuts off when the screen shuts off.

I don't have push on for email, just fetch every 15 mins.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

Thats uncalled for. Bottom line, it's a phone. I shouldn't have to put it in airport mode.

You do not have to leave it in 'airplane mode' all the time. Just for one night to see if the battery decreases. From there we can suggest alternative solutions dependant on the outcome.

sdmcwilliams

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Mine is connected to Wifi all night and I only lose 3-5% of my battery from 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
OP: Do you happen to be using Google Latitude? Even when that app is closed, it is still constantly checking your location. When it first came out, I did not know how to turn it off, and my battery died around 5:30PM, having been taken off the charger at 9:45AM. Just a thought...

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
OP: Do you happen to be using Google Latitude? Even when that app is closed, it is still constantly checking your location. When it first came out, I did not know how to turn it off, and my battery died around 5:30PM, having been taken off the charger at 9:45AM. Just a thought...

No I do not.

Here are the apps I use:
DoodleJump, ESPN Score Center, Facebook, Angry Birds, Air Control, Doodle Bowling, Flick Golf, Doodle Fit, Slice It, MegaJump, Scrabble, 360Live, TWC, Fox News, SoundHound, IMDb, TuneIn Radio.

These aren't all running, but those are what I have installed. Last night I forced closed all the apps except iOS ones like Messages.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
No I do not.

Here are the apps I use:
DoodleJump, ESPN Score Center, Facebook, Angry Birds, Air Control, Doodle Bowling, Flick Golf, Doodle Fit, Slice It, MegaJump, Scrabble, 360Live, TWC, Fox News, SoundHound, IMDb, TuneIn Radio.

These aren't all running, but those are what I have installed. Last night I forced closed all the apps except iOS ones like Messages.

Also, I want to add that last night my usage was at like 2.5 hrs with 6.5 standby when I went to bed at 3am. I woke up with it saying 10 hrs of usage with 14 hours of standby.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I had the exact same issue with my ATT iphone where it would say my usage was almost the same as my standby time even when I wasn't using it.

I figured out that it was my exchange contacts / email / calendar account. I had to set it to manual under the advanced area of fetch new data in mail settings.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
I had the exact same issue with my ATT iphone where it would say my usage was almost the same as my standby time even when I wasn't using it.

I figured out that it was my exchange contacts / email / calendar account. I had to set it to manual under the advanced area of fetch new data in mail settings.

I don't have an exchange. Just GMail. and push is off, fetches 15 mins.

Perihelion

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
I found that notifications makes a huge difference if you have it turned on for a bunch of apps. When I used to run all my apps with notifications on, I would lose 20-30% charge overnight. Now I just turn on notifications for 2-3 apps and I lose about 1%/hr or 6-8% overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.