Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

135926-IMG_0008_220.jpg

China.org.cn reports on the photos posted to our forum last week of a Foxconn factory worker. Forum user markm49uk had found the photos on his brand new iPhone.

This led to speculation on the identity and the fate of the factory worker's job. Fortunately, it's been confirmed that the employee was not fired based on comments from a Foxconn factory worker:
"She is definitely not fired," an unidentified representative from Foxconn's factory in Shenzhen, southern China, told the newspaper Xiandai Kuaibao.
The representative did confirm that she was an employee at the Shenzhen factory and that it was likely that the test photos were left on the iPhone's memory "accidentally".

Article Link

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
it was likely that the test photos were left on the iPhone's member "accidentally".

on the iPhone's member eh?

Chairman Meow

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
Vancouver & China
Thats brilliant! I think it would be great for every Chinese worker who makes your iPhones to take a snap of herself or her factory friends. Build bridges, make connections, a hello from a person you would never otherwise meet. Globalisation in practise.

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
what a stupid rumor...

Macrumors is better than this...

i don't even understand why you would bother posting such news. why would that girl be fired? the guy who posted the photos to the world should be fired. things like that should be left private and dealt with via Apple and Foxconn. NOT posted for the world to see... if that girl really did get fired, it would be entirely due to the idiot who posted her photo on the world wide web.

Give it a break!

striatic

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
hooray!

i wonder if taking the photos wasn't actually part of some QA process, to test the camera.

perhaps the phones are supposed to be reset after QA, but this one wasn't for some reason.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
i still think this should become standard practise.
i'm quite gutted that neither of my iPhone's came with a picture of the factory and it's workers on it - it'd be a cool gimmick: one iPhone in every million has the QA test pics left on it - are you the lucky one? if so, claim your free iTunes download at apple.com... etc etc

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina

i don't even understand why you would bother posting such news. why would that girl be fired? the guy who posted the photos to the world should be fired. things like that should be left private and dealt with via Apple and Foxconn. NOT posted for the world to see... if that girl really did get fired, it would be entirely due to the idiot who posted her photo on the world wide web.

Give it a break!

Yeesh, it's on the iPhone blog, not the main page. Lighten up. It's an interesting story.

I think it's completely reasonable for the guy to post the photo -- it speaks to apple's QA process. I also think it's completely reasonable that the girl in the picture wasn't fired. It was an honest mistake.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Yeesh, it's on the iPhone blog, not the main page. Lighten up. It's an interesting story.

I think it's completely reasonable for the guy to post the photo -- it speaks to apple's QA process. I also think it's completely reasonable that the girl in the picture wasn't fired. It was an honest mistake.

None of it was a mistake. No one brings up the question wondering if the person who actually took the picture still works there. Unless she has a 3rd arm. Only the 3rd arm I would care to hear more about.

a691662

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
OMGWTFBBQ!
I think the whole story is so interesting
Maybe all the chinese are talking about this girl now because she is so popular abroad!

dgcaste

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
I'm not quite sure why she should be fired.

These phones have to be tested before they're finished. That means that at least one picture has to be taken. The odds of a one-in-a-million bad memory wipe are not unlikely. And I don't think there's a 'code' that says what image you can and cannot test the camera lens with.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Thats brilliant! I think it would be great for every Chinese worker who makes your iPhones to take a snap of herself or her factory friends. Build bridges, make connections, a hello from a person you would never otherwise meet. Globalisation in practise.

I agree, I want to return mine, it's defective with out a cute Chinese girl greeting me when I first get the phone. Apple needs to tell them to leave the photos on the phone! How cool would that be?

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I was seriously worried about this little cutie. She won my heart for 2 reasons: Cute Chinese girl, and the fact that she makes iPhones. That's just hot.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Some one contact a friend who works at apple and get this Chinese girl in the next iPhone Commercial! This is "Commercial Gold", promote world relations, however they want to spin it.

cgray24

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Texas
I heard these pictures caused a big stir in Apple because it represents a huge gap in QC procedures at the plant (not clearing the memory). All phones cameras are tested in this way and a few getting out with the pictures still on them represents a potential huge problem.

Very doubtful the girl in the pictures is responsible for the problem as she probably takes hundreds of these pictures a day, but is not responsible for the clearing.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Why would she be fired?

Am I the only one missing the point that she didn't take the photo? If somebody is to be fired for making a minor error (i.e. leaving the photo on the phone), then it'd be the person who took the photo. Now looking at the photo... she definitely didn't take the photo!

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

Give it a break!

Are you on effen crack?? Why WOULDN'T the girl be fired?? I don't believe "Take pictures of yourself flashing peace signs and leave on the iPhone for a potential customer to see." is in her company handbook. :p

With that said, would I fire her? Hell no, as this seems pretty harmless. If I was her manager, COULD I fire her? Most likely.

If that girl did get fired it's entirely her own fault. You think Elliot Spitzer is going around blaming his *********, photographers, etc for his resignation? no, because it's his own damn fault. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.