Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Like I've said before.
If you've hacked your iPhone Apple isn't responsible to fix it.Go ask the people that wrote the jailbreak software for a fix.They should support their own app.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Previous Quote...
Flash Support???

Never! (hopefully) :)

That's unfortunate. It would be nice to have as an option. Obviously there would be some benefits to being able to view flash. If you don't want it, turn that plug-in off.

Judging by the way Safari handles most pages (on the verge of crashing - aka don't touch it while it's loading), I would bet that is the reason flash player doesn't exist on Safari yet. Apple can say they are pushing web 2.0 development, but I think they just haven't figured out how to do it yet. Probably has something to do with all the resizing that happens on the iPhone.

artalliance

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2005
In the cool neighborhood of LA
Previous Quote...

That's unfortunate. It would be nice to have as an option. Obviously there would be some benefits to being able to view flash. If you don't want it, turn that plug-in off.

Judging by the way Safari handles most pages (on the verge of crashing - aka don't touch it while it's loading), I would bet that is the reason flash player doesn't exist on Safari yet. Apple can say they are pushing web 2.0 development, but I think they just haven't figured out how to do it yet. Probably has something to do with all the resizing that happens on the iPhone.

Hasn't this been discussed a thousand times. :rolleyes:

Both Apple AND ADOBE need to get their act together here.
It's not just Apple.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
No seriously, why would they do that?. It makes more sense to me that the new firmware should be out by the time the first eu iphone starts selling.

I agree. I'd be very surprised if, when I get up tomorrow morning that 1.1.2 isn't out.

The quicker it's out, the quicker the hackers can get to it.

I buy an iPhone tomorrow, and I'm not particularly interested in jailbreaking it but I'd love to see if it's possible.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Not true. Many (if not most) of the users who hacked their phones to work on different carriers would not have bought a phone if they couldn't run it on a non-at&t network.

edit: Jinx Elgruga

Guys we really don't know, I am sure Apple has a calculator or two available and have done the math. Besides we do not know what other things they have and how they plan to ties them together.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
No seriously, why would they do that?. It makes more sense to me that the new firmware should be out by the time the first eu iphone starts selling.

I dont know, i hope they release it by 6 today, still, they dont have to...

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
you are right but apple shouldn't break hacked iphones they should just dellet the apps but not brick them.

For the most part, that is exactly what's happening. Most people who installed 3rd party applications are still happily using their phones post-upgrade, but they may have temporarily lost access to their apps.

The people who ended up with bricked phones, mostly, were the ones who went further and modified their low-level boot ROM as part of the process of SIM-unlocking their phones. Physically, the boot ROM is a separate NOR Flash chip which is totally distinct from the 8GB or 4GB filesystem in which OSX and all the user level applications reside. The boot ROM is the chip which contains the low-level instructions executed by the ARM CPU in the first few nanoseconds after the chip powers up and before it knows about any of the higher-level stuff like drivers to work with NAND flash.

Now think about it... Among other things, the boot ROM contains the bootloading software which is used when the rest of the phone's software is being updated. If you modify the boot ROM in ways that Apple wasn't expecting, then that bootloading software might not function the way in which it was originally intended. Therefore you may disrupt the process of updating your software, and end up with a corrupted upgrade and a useless phone.

Nothing too far-fetched or evil about that.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Ive never understood why people are so adamant that 'they paid downright for their iPhone they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it'. That just doesnt make sense. I paid for my car, but im not allowed to drive it at a hundred miles an hour on the road. If i drove it at a hundred miles an hour my insurance wouldnt cover it since I was driving un-responsibly. Same for iPhone, if you hacked it, you shouldnt expect apple to cater for you when they update the operating system. There are fewer moans about apps that arent working with 10.5 than there are about apps that are broken when apple updates the iPhone. When you buy the iPhone, you know what you are getting, and if its not what you want, then buy something else.

You are also not allowed to modify the engine and then ask for warranty repairs if it blows.

Hacking the phone is along the same line.

What get me is people that buy a normal car and then complain that is not open so they can add wings and make it fly. Something that the manufactorer never said it would do and have no plan to allow / implement and support. The auto manufactorer will void your warranty just like Apple will and refuse to service you.

That is why apple is wiping the phone first then installing, to ensure to their best that the phone is in a known state before they apply the changes.

Just like that APE that is causing all the blue screens.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I dont know, i hope they release it by 6 today, still, they dont have to...

I'm with you. I would like them to release it as soon as possible. I would like to know exactly what all is in the update and whether or not it breaks iToner for sure before I install it.

skoorbevad

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007
Before anyone starts, this is just a 0.0.x revision, so don't expect any new features like ... or 3G.

I'm sure that'll all be here in time.

Yeah, I also heard future software updates are going to add a larger screen, a flash to the camera, and GPS functionality. Also another button.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
just think how much apple is making off these hacked phones, they estimate 25 million in sales, it's in their best interest to make the patches happen slow and keep leaving holes for people to get in.

To me, the cost of the iPhone is rock bottom to keep sales high. It really isn't a big consideration compared to the cost of the monthly fees. Apple and the service providers loose most of their income if people use them on other networks.

Secondly, I think it is in Apple's interest for the iPhone to have a reputation of being very reliable and stable. If they in any way support hacking of iPhones they will end up being held responsible for the problems that people have when they do so. It would also lead to the exclusive carriers feeling that they're getting a bad deal, being let down by Apple.

I'm getting an iPhone tomorrow (UK launch) and I intend keeping mine totally uncontaminated with hacks or unauthorised add-ons, and I fully expect my iPhone to work without any problems.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Maybe they don't want people in the UK with iPhones imported from the USA to be able to connect and register before they officially go on sale here? Presumably after the update this would become possible.

That is made possible through iTunes and the phone companies servers - it has very little if anything to do with the actual hardware's firmware.

tricil

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
4 minutes now...

Unless "Compile 'em all" guessed wrong:)

yeah, i seriously doubt it's gonna happen, but i'm sitting here "checking for new version" like the rest of you..

better than refreshing my XP home's tracking status (it's in my city and i still won't get it till tomorrow... bastards)

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
yeah, i seriously doubt it's gonna happen, but i'm sitting here "checking for new version" like the rest of you..

better than refreshing my XP home's tracking status (it's in my city and i still won't get it till tomorrow... bastards)

Yep and its now 3:01 here ... 12:01 in Germany still no update...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.